
by Emmitt Barry, Worthy News Washington D.C. Bureau Chief
(Worthy News) – Washington is considering a complete withdrawal of American troops from Syria following the rapid collapse of the U.S.-backed Kurdish-led militia in the country’s northeast, according to U.S. officials, according to a Wall Street Journal exclusive.
The potential pullout would end a decade-long U.S. military mission that began in 2014 under former President Barack Obama to combat ISIS. It comes as Syrian President Ahmed al-Sharaa moved to consolidate control over territory previously held by the Syrian Democratic Forces, ordering the group to disband after a swift government-backed offensive.
Roughly 1,000 U.S. troops remain in Syria, primarily in the northeast alongside the SDF, with a smaller contingent at the Al Tanf garrison in the south. Their core mission has been preventing an ISIS resurgence and overseeing detention facilities holding thousands of ISIS fighters.
Pentagon officials are now questioning the viability of that mission after Syrian forces seized key bases, oil facilities, and border crossings, forcing the SDF to relinquish major cities including Raqqa and Deir Ezzour. U.S. officials told the Journal that if the SDF fully disbands, there would be little justification for continued American presence.
Concerns also center on the composition of Sharaa’s forces, which U.S. officials say include jihadist sympathizers and individuals with alleged ties to al Qaeda and ISIS. Tensions have already escalated, with U.S. forces reportedly shooting down a Syrian government drone near an American position during recent clashes.
Another factor accelerating withdrawal discussions is the fate of ISIS detainees. The U.S. has begun transferring thousands of prisoners to Iraq, reducing one of the main reasons for keeping troops in Syria, analysts told the Journal.
President Donald Trump, who previously ordered a near-withdrawal in 2018, has publicly praised Sharaa’s efforts while reiterating U.S. support for the Kurds, noting their partnership with Washington was also driven by their own interests.
The Pentagon declined to comment on the report, and the White House did not immediately respond.
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
Latest News from Worthy News
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu issued a blunt warning to Turkey on Wednesday after Israel struck a Syrian military airbase that Jerusalem says Ankara was preparing to use for an expanded military presence in Syria.
Democratic socialist Angie Nixon scored a surprise victory Tuesday in Florida’s Democratic U.S. Senate primary, defeating heavily funded establishment favorite Alex Vindman and adding to a growing series of socialist and far-left victories reshaping Democratic politics across the country.
The United States government passed a sobering milestone Wednesday as the national debt topped $40 trillion, up from $39 trillion only five months ago.
The U.S. Department of Justice plans to deploy approximately 1,000 federal election monitors across the country for November’s midterm elections, marking what officials say will be a record-sized monitoring operation.
President Donald Trump announced what he called an “Economic D-Day” against Iran on Wednesday, warning that countries, banks, businesses and governments that continue providing Tehran with economic lifelines could themselves face severe U.S. consequences.
President Donald Trump has paused sweeping 50% tariffs on roughly $20 billion in Canadian imports for three days, giving Washington and Ottawa additional time to finalize what Trump says is a new trade agreement between the neighboring countries.
At least nine people, including five Bangladeshi nationals and a child, were killed Wednesday when fire and thick smoke swept through a building housing several hotels in Kolkata, highlighting broader concerns about lax enforcement of fire-safety regulations in one of the world’s most densely populated cities and across India.






