
by Stefan J. Bos, Worthy News Chief International Correspondent
JERUSALEM (Worthy News) – An Israeli family devastated by a recent missile strike near the central city of Beit Shemesh, west of Jerusalem, has received financial assistance from a U.S. evangelical leader, as the ongoing war involving Iran has slowed—but not halted—the arrival of Jewish immigrants to the country.
The family was left grieving and displaced after the attack destroyed their home, killing a father, Yossi Cohen, and his mother, Bruria, while wounding several relatives, those familiar with the case said.
Evangelical leader Mike Evans visited the family at Hadassah Hospital in Jerusalem and later pledged $50,000 to help cover medical expenses, housing, and recovery.
He met Pnina Cohen, who was injured in the strike along with several of her children. One of her sons, a three-year-old, underwent surgery on his legs, while her 13-year-old son had been due to celebrate his bar mitzvah—a Jewish coming-of-age ceremony—on the day of the attack.
Evans also attended Yossi Cohen’s funeral and later offered the family temporary housing in apartments in central Jerusalem.
HUMAN COST OF MISSILE ATTACKS
The assistance came as communities across Israel continued to absorb the human toll of missile attacks, including deaths, injuries, and widespread damage to homes.
Family members expressed gratitude for the support. “You came to us like an angel in a dream,” a relative told Evans.
Evans, known for his pro-Israel advocacy, has been visiting impact sites and hospitals in recent days to meet victims and assess needs.
Despite the attacks, Jewish people living abroad still consider moving to Israel, known in Hebrew as “aliyah,” the term for Jewish immigration to the country, authorities said.
Aliyah and Integration Minister Ofir Sofer said joint military operations involving Israel and the United States have boosted a sense of pride and solidarity.
IMMIGRATION HOLDS DESPITE WAR
“The fact that Israel is acting together with the United States… creates a sense of Israeli pride,” he said in remarks reported by The Jerusalem Post newspaper.
More than 300 new immigration files were opened in the first week of the military operation, according to authorities.
Sofer said many prospective immigrants are postponing rather than canceling their plans.
“People come because they see hope,” he said, pointing to what he described as a strategic shift and a sense of belonging.
Officials say the campaign could deal a significant blow to Iran’s leadership, though the duration of the conflict remains uncertain.
ONGOING CONFLICT AND UNCERTAINTY
Authorities have pledged continued support for civilians, including new immigrants experiencing war for the first time.
For families like the Cohens, however, the impact is already deeply personal, as they begin to rebuild their lives after a devastating loss.
At least 1,300 people have been killed in Iran, 886 in Lebanon, and about 12 in Israel since the start of the war on February 28, according to health authorities and officials. U.S. Central Command says 13 American service members have been killed and roughly 200 troops wounded.
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
Latest News from Worthy News
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu issued a blunt warning to Turkey on Wednesday after Israel struck a Syrian military airbase that Jerusalem says Ankara was preparing to use for an expanded military presence in Syria.
Democratic socialist Angie Nixon scored a surprise victory Tuesday in Florida’s Democratic U.S. Senate primary, defeating heavily funded establishment favorite Alex Vindman and adding to a growing series of socialist and far-left victories reshaping Democratic politics across the country.
The United States government passed a sobering milestone Wednesday as the national debt topped $40 trillion, up from $39 trillion only five months ago.
The U.S. Department of Justice plans to deploy approximately 1,000 federal election monitors across the country for November’s midterm elections, marking what officials say will be a record-sized monitoring operation.
President Donald Trump announced what he called an “Economic D-Day” against Iran on Wednesday, warning that countries, banks, businesses and governments that continue providing Tehran with economic lifelines could themselves face severe U.S. consequences.
President Donald Trump has paused sweeping 50% tariffs on roughly $20 billion in Canadian imports for three days, giving Washington and Ottawa additional time to finalize what Trump says is a new trade agreement between the neighboring countries.
At least nine people, including five Bangladeshi nationals and a child, were killed Wednesday when fire and thick smoke swept through a building housing several hotels in Kolkata, highlighting broader concerns about lax enforcement of fire-safety regulations in one of the world’s most densely populated cities and across India.






