Fire at Tower of Vondelkerk Church in Amsterdam

by Stefan J. Bos, Worthy News Europe Bureau Chief

AMSTERDAM (Worthy News) – Firefighters and police rushed to a major blaze at one of Amsterdam’s most famous churches, the Vondelkerk (Vondel Church), less than an hour after the New Year began in the Netherlands. It came in a night when two people died, and numerous others were injured in firework accidents, officials said.

Flames engulfed the church spire, and witnesses said part of the roof collapsed. Police expressed fears that the entire church building could collapse.

The Amsterdam fire brigade said crews were working “with all available manpower” to bring the blaze under control. Part of the tower reportedly collapsed, with debris falling to the ground as flames spread through the structure.

“Flames are shooting out of the roof of the tower,” the fire brigade said. “But the biggest problem is the enormous shower of sparks falling over a wide area. Pieces of wood are also coming down, which is dangerous.”

Emergency services cordoned off the surrounding area as a precaution amid concerns about falling debris and fire spread.

NO INJURIES REPORTED, AUTHORITIES SAY

Fire officials confirmed that no injuries were reported in the blaze.

The cause of the fire was not immediately clear, and an investigation is expected once the situation is fully secured.

The Vondelkerk, a well-known landmark in Amsterdam, a fairy-like building with a 50-meter (164-foot) high tower, held Catholic Church services for nearly a century until 1977 before being turned into a cultural venue.

The building has been repurposed as a concert hall, with additional office spaces rented out to businesses.

FIREFIGHTERS WORK OVERTIME

Authorities continued monitoring the situation Thursday as firefighters worked to prevent further damage to the historic structure.

There were no injuries reported.

A massive fire was also raging in a fireworks sales point in the Dutch town of Hillegom, as New Year’s celebrations turned into emergencies in several parts of the Netherlands.

Users of smartphones and other mobile devices received an NL-Alert text message that the emergency phone number 112 had been overwhelmed with calls.

An NL-Alert was also issued due to a fire in Bedum, in the Dutch province of Groningen, where asbestos was released into the air after a gymnasium was engulfed in flames.

DUTCH ILLUMINATING SKIES

It came on a night that the Dutch illuminated the skies with a record 129 million euros ($150 million) in fireworks.

The New Year celebrations also marked the last time that Dutch citizens could buy and use fireworks. That added to frustrations with riot police facing angry crowds in several cities, with some throwing fireworks at them.

Elsewhere in the Netherlands, in the city of Nijmegen, a boy died in a fireworks accident, authorities confirmed. His age has not been disclosed.

In Aalsmeer, a 38-year-old man from the Dutch town died around 2:15 a.m. following a fireworks-related accident.

Resuscitation efforts were unsuccessful, officials said.

MANY PEOPLE INJURED

In addition, at least three people were reportedly seriously injured in fireworks accidents in Lichtenvoorde and Culemborg in the province of Gelderland, and in Oostwoud in North Holland province.

At the Rotterdam Eye Hospital, fourteen patients were admitted with eye injuries caused by fireworks.

“Most of the patients are minors, and the injuries mainly involved bystanders who were hurt by fireworks set off by others,” the hospital said.

Authorities now hope to prevent similar accidents this year, when even carrying fireworks will be illegal in the Netherlands.

Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.


Latest News from Worthy News

U.S. To Withdraw All Troops From Syria, Ending Decade-Long Mission
U.S. To Withdraw All Troops From Syria, Ending Decade-Long Mission

The United States is withdrawing all of its roughly 1,000 troops from Syria, ending a decade-long military campaign against the Islamic State, according to a Wall Street Journal exclusive citing American officials.

DOJ Issues New Subpoenas in Probe of Russia Investigation Origins
DOJ Issues New Subpoenas in Probe of Russia Investigation Origins

The Justice Department has issued a fresh round of subpoenas in a Florida-based investigation examining the origins and conduct of the federal government’s 2016 Russia inquiry — a probe that shadowed President Donald Trump for years and fueled deep divisions across the nation.

‘Just The Beginning Of Enormous Growth’: White House Heralds Strong Jobs Report
‘Just The Beginning Of Enormous Growth’: White House Heralds Strong Jobs Report

The White House is heralding a better-than-expected jobs report as one of the first signs of what it says will be a “record successful year” in 2026, after a year of stalled jobs growth.

Blasphemy Accusations And Mob Violence Threaten Christians In Pakistan And Iran (Worthy News In-Depth)
Blasphemy Accusations And Mob Violence Threaten Christians In Pakistan And Iran (Worthy News In-Depth)

As Ramadan, deemed a holy month by Muslims, began Wednesday, advocates warned that Christians and other religious minorities in parts of South Asia face potentially deadly consequences from blasphemy accusations amplified by social media and mob violence.

Satellite Images Show Iran Reinforcing Key Military, Nuclear Sites Amid Rising Tensions
Satellite Images Show Iran Reinforcing Key Military, Nuclear Sites Amid Rising Tensions

Satellite imagery reviewed by analysts indicates Iran has advanced fortification work at several sensitive military and nuclear-linked sites, including the Parchin military complex and the Isfahan Nuclear Technology Center, according to a Reuters report. The developments come as Washington seeks a negotiated nuclear agreement with Tehran while warning that military options remain on the table if diplomacy fails.

US-Iran Confrontation Could Begin Within Days as Military Buildup Intensifies
US-Iran Confrontation Could Begin Within Days as Military Buildup Intensifies

A military confrontation between the United States and Iran could erupt within days and develop into a sustained, multi-week campaign, according to multiple sources cited Wednesday, even as diplomatic talks continue between Washington and Tehran.

Israel Set to Deploy Arrow 4 Missile Defense System in Major Upgrade to Air Shield
Israel Set to Deploy Arrow 4 Missile Defense System in Major Upgrade to Air Shield

Israel is expected to begin operational deployment of the Arrow 4 missile defense system in the coming months, marking a significant upgrade to the nation’s multi-layered air defense network, according to Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) President and CEO Boaz Levy.