
by Karen Faulkner, Worthy News Correspondent
(Worthy News) – United States Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin said Monday (July 30) that the US will help Israel to defend itself against the Iran-backed Hezbollah terror group in Lebanon should the increasingly deadly cross-border attacks develop into all-out war, the Jerusalem Post reports.
Claiming solidarity with Palestinians in Gaza, the jihadist Hezbollah group has launched thousands of rockets at northern Israeli towns from its base in southern Lebanon since the Oct.7 Hamas attack on Israel. In the deadliest Hezbollah attack so far, 12 Druze-Israeli children were killed when a missile struck a soccer field in the town of Majdal Shams in the Golan Heights on Sunday (28 July).
This Majdal Shams massacre prompted Israel to retaliate by targeting and killing Fuad Shukr, the top Hezbollah military commander who orchestrated the attack, in Beirut on Monday.
The escalation has diplomats around the world scrambling to prevent a new full-blown war in the Middle East.
“We remain concerned about the potential of this escalating into a full fight. And I don’t believe that a fight is inevitable,” Austin said in a statement. “I think that you know, we’d like to see things resolved in a diplomatic fashion.Israel will do what it needs to defend itself. And it’s demonstrated that you know, time and again. Certainly that’s not a scenario that we’d like to see occur.”
“If Israel is attacked…we will help Israel defend itself. We’ve been clear about that from the very beginning, but again, we don’t want to see that happen,” Austin stated.
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
Latest News from Worthy News
Iran’s rulers were quietly preparing for a broader and potentially prolonged Middle East war even as Tehran publicly engaged in diplomatic efforts with the United States, according to an exclusive investigation by The Wall Street Journal.
U.S. President Donald J. Trump announced Sunday that he had ordered the Pentagon to “substantially reduce” military exercises with key regional ally South Korea, citing his “very good relationship” with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and Seoul’s refusal to assist Washington in its confrontation with Iran.
Rescue teams in eastern Indonesia recovered six more bodies Sunday following a powerful magnitude 7.7 earthquake, raising the death toll to at least 53 as Christians prayed for victims and rescuers struggled to reach isolated communities.
The U.S. Department of Defense is introducing a course centered on Christianity and Western civilization this fall in the schools it operates for military families, while casting Islam as a threat to both.
New York’s Jewish community was reeling Sunday as a judge ordered a man held on bail after prosecutors said he admitted to disrupting Shabbat services at Manhattan’s Central Synagogue and assaulting two people there.
Dutch Prime Minister Rob Jetten faced mounting pressure Sunday after two people died in a traffic accident linked to a farmers’ protest, while his government was drawn into a separate controversy over a prominent statesman’s comparison involving Israel and Nazi Germany.
Amid mounting military cooperation, North Korean leader Kim Jong Un reaffirmed deepening ties with Russia in a message to President Vladimir Putin as Pyongyang marked the anniversary of “independence from Japan’s colonial rule,” state media reported Sunday.






