
By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent Stefan J. Bos
JERUSALEM/GAZA CITY (Worthy News) – Facing a backlash within his Democratic Party over his support for Israel’s war against Hamas, U.S. President Joe Biden was to announce that the U.S. military would construct a port in Gaza to get humanitarian aid into the territory by sea.
Planning for the operation, initially based on the island of Cyprus, does not envisage the deployment of U.S. military personnel in Gaza, officials told reporters ahead of Biden’s State of the Union speech.
The port will take “a number of weeks” to set up, the officials said, and will be able to receive large ships carrying food, water, medicine, and temporary shelters.
Initial shipments will arrive via Cyprus, where Israeli security inspections will take place, according to sources familiar with the situation.
It comes as the Hamas-run health ministry claimed that more than a dozen children have died due to malnutrition while the United Nations warned of famine amid ongoing fighting.
Additionally, Israeli forces were accused of opening fire last week on a crowd of Palestinians who were hoping to get food from aid trucks in Gaza City.
At least 112 people were killed and more than 769 injured, Gaza’s Hamas-run Health Ministry said at the time, but Israel vehemently denied its forces deliberately fired at crowds.
STAMPEDE DEATHS
The Israel Defense Forces said many died in a stampede crush and that soldiers only fired at “several individuals” who approached them in the aftermath in a manner that suggested an immediate threat.
Israel also blamed Hamas for the lack of aid in Gaza, claiming the group is holding aid for itself and not distributing it to Palestinians.
The Israeli authorities have also expressed concern that Hamas uses aid vehicles to transport fighters and weapons.
Hamas denies all these allegations.
Israel also suggested there was a lack of cooperation between Palestinian authorities and aid groups as hundreds of truckloads of aid have been stuck waiting to be distributed in Gaza.
Between 200 and 300 truckloads were at the Kerem Shalom crossing point this week from Israel into southern Gaza, waiting to be picked up and distributed, said Israeli officials from the Coordination of Government Activities in the Territories (COGAT).
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
Latest News from Worthy News
Newly declassified FBI records released by the White House detail what officials describe as a years-long Chinese intelligence effort to penetrate American political circles through sexual relationships, campaign donations, and strategically placed interns.
President Donald Trump’s Board of Peace is considering a significant overhaul of its Gaza disarmament framework after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu rejected a plan that would have linked Hamas weapons handovers to phased Israeli troop withdrawals, according to an exclusive report by The Times of Israel.
Iran’s rulers were quietly preparing for a broader and potentially prolonged Middle East war even as Tehran publicly engaged in diplomatic efforts with the United States, according to an exclusive investigation by The Wall Street Journal.
U.S. President Donald J. Trump announced Sunday that he had ordered the Pentagon to “substantially reduce” military exercises with key regional ally South Korea, citing his “very good relationship” with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and Seoul’s refusal to assist Washington in its confrontation with Iran.
Rescue teams in eastern Indonesia recovered six more bodies Sunday following a powerful magnitude 7.7 earthquake, raising the death toll to at least 53 as Christians prayed for victims and rescuers struggled to reach isolated communities.
The U.S. Department of Defense is introducing a course centered on Christianity and Western civilization this fall in the schools it operates for military families, while casting Islam as a threat to both.
New York’s Jewish community was reeling Sunday as a judge ordered a man held on bail after prosecutors said he admitted to disrupting Shabbat services at Manhattan’s Central Synagogue and assaulting two people there.






