US To Deliver Weapons To Israel Despite Tensions

By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent Worthy News

WASHINGTON/JERUSALEM (Worthy News) – Israeli-American relations appeared to be back on track on Good Friday as President Joe Biden’s administration pledged to transfer billions of dollars in bombs and warplanes, several officials said.

The announcement came after the United States declined to veto the United Nations Security Council resolution on an “immediate ceasefire” in Gaza, prompting Israel to cancel a high-level visit to Washington.

The new arms packages include more than 1,800 MK84 2,000-pound bombs and 500 MK82 500-pound bombs, according to Pentagon and State Department officials familiar with the matter.

The 2,000-pound bombs have been linked to previous “mass-casualty events” in Israel’s military campaign in Gaza, critics said, although the Hamas-run health ministry’s figures of 31,000 killed have been complex to verify independently.

Last week, the U.S. State Department also authorized the transfer of 25 F-35A fighter jets and engines worth roughly $2.5 billion, U.S. officials said.

The case was reportedly approved by Congress in 2008, so the department was not required to provide a new notification to lawmakers.

The MK84 and MK82 bombs authorized this week for transfer also were approved by the U.SX Congress years ago but had not yet been fulfilled, The Washington Post newspaper reported.

WAR CONDUCT

U.S. officials, speaking anonymously to The Washington Post, suggested that while rifts emerged between the White House and Israel over its war conduct, the Biden administration views weapons transfers as “off-limits” when considering how to influence the actions of Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

Yet the transfers come despite Washington’s worries about an imminent invasion by Israel in southern Gaza. “We have continued to support Israel’s right to defend itself,” added a White House official. “Conditioning aid has not been our policy.”

Israel pledged to warn civilians ahead of possible massive military actions in, for instance, Rafah, the southern city of Gaza bordering Egypt.

Some 1.4 million people are believed to be in Rafah, and over 1 million Palestinians have fled there to seek shelter during the Israel-Hamas war, according to the United Nations.

Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu said last week that a victory against Hamas is “impossible” without the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) entering Rafah to “eliminate” the rest of “the terrorist group’s battalions.”

Hamas killed at least some 1,200 people and kidnapped 253 others on October 7, Israeli officials said, in what Netanyahu called “the worst atrocities against Jews” since the Holocaust, also known as the Shoah.

The attacks on what Israelis have described as the “Black Sabbath” led to Israel’s war against Hamas, deemed a terrorist organization by Israel and most of its allies.

Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.


Latest News from Worthy News

Declassified FBI Files Reveal Alleged Chinese Influence Campaign Using Sex, Donations and Political Interns
Declassified FBI Files Reveal Alleged Chinese Influence Campaign Using Sex, Donations and Political Interns

Newly declassified FBI records released by the White House detail what officials describe as a years-long Chinese intelligence effort to penetrate American political circles through sexual relationships, campaign donations, and strategically placed interns.

Board of Peace Weighs Major Shift in Hamas Disarmament Plan Amid Israeli Pushback
Board of Peace Weighs Major Shift in Hamas Disarmament Plan Amid Israeli Pushback

President Donald Trump’s Board of Peace is considering a significant overhaul of its Gaza disarmament framework after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu rejected a plan that would have linked Hamas weapons handovers to phased Israeli troop withdrawals, according to an exclusive report by The Times of Israel.

Iran Quietly Prepared for Wider War While Pursuing Talks With Washington
Iran Quietly Prepared for Wider War While Pursuing Talks With Washington

Iran’s rulers were quietly preparing for a broader and potentially prolonged Middle East war even as Tehran publicly engaged in diplomatic efforts with the United States, according to an exclusive investigation by The Wall Street Journal.

Trump Cuts US-South Korea Drills, Citing Good Ties With North Korea’s Leader Despite Christian Persecution (Worthy News In-Depth)
Trump Cuts US-South Korea Drills, Citing Good Ties With North Korea’s Leader Despite Christian Persecution (Worthy News In-Depth)

U.S. President Donald J. Trump announced Sunday that he had ordered the Pentagon to “substantially reduce” military exercises with key regional ally South Korea, citing his “very good relationship” with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and Seoul’s refusal to assist Washington in its confrontation with Iran.

Indonesia Quake Toll Rises To 53 As Christians Pray, Rescuers Search Rubble
Indonesia Quake Toll Rises To 53 As Christians Pray, Rescuers Search Rubble

Rescue teams in eastern Indonesia recovered six more bodies Sunday following a powerful magnitude 7.7 earthquake, raising the death toll to at least 53 as Christians prayed for victims and rescuers struggled to reach isolated communities.

Pentagon Schools Adding Christianity-Focused Western Civilization Course (Worthy News In-Depth)
Pentagon Schools Adding Christianity-Focused Western Civilization Course (Worthy News In-Depth)

The U.S. Department of Defense is introducing a course centered on Christianity and Western civilization this fall in the schools it operates for military families, while casting Islam as a threat to both.

New York Jews Reeling After Synagogue Attack, Hate Crime Charges
New York Jews Reeling After Synagogue Attack, Hate Crime Charges

New York’s Jewish community was reeling Sunday as a judge ordered a man held on bail after prosecutors said he admitted to disrupting Shabbat services at Manhattan’s Central Synagogue and assaulting two people there.