US Sending Half Of Promises Bombs To Israel (Worthy News Focus)

By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent Worthy News

WASHINGTON/JERUSALEM (Worthy News) – Israel was anxiously anticipating the arrival of desperately needed American ammunition on Thursday after U.S. President Joe Biden’s administration ordered the release of around half the heavy bombs it held up due to worries over civilian casualties during Israel’s military action in Gaza’s southern city of Rafah.

However, U.S. officials cautioned that the 500-pound bombs now “in the process of being shipped” could still take weeks to arrive.

Worthy News learned that the heavier 2,000-pound bombs in the same shipment have not yet been released.

Biden made the decision only weeks after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu pleaded for help in dramatic video footage. “It’s inconceivable that in the past few months, the [Biden] administration has been withholding weapons and ammunitions to Israel.”

Netanyahu added that “Israel, America’s closest ally, is fighting for its life, fighting against Iran, and against our other common enemies.”

Netanyahu said that U.S. Secretary of State Anthony Blinken told him that the Biden administration is “working day and night” to remove obstacles related to sending weapons to Israel, adding: “I certainly hope that this is the case, and it should be the case.”

The Israeli leader recalled that British Prime Minister Winston “Churchill said to the United States during World War Two: ‘Give us the tools, and we will do the job.’ And I say: Give us the tools, and we will finish the job much faster.”

US RECONSIDERS AID

However, the United States remains reluctant to provide all requested military assistance to Israel, which, besides Hamas, also faces a potential all-out war with Hamas’ ally Hezbollah in Lebanon.

Biden administration officials said, however, that heavier bombs were not yet delivered due to concern “on the end-use of the 2,000-pound bombs,” especially about Israel’s Rafah campaign.

“Because of how these shipments are put together, other munitions may sometimes be co-mingled. That’s what happened here with the 500-pound bombs,” a U.S. official told the Times of Israel (TOI) online newspaper.

“Since our main concern had been and remains the potential use of 2,000-pound bombs in Rafah and elsewhere in Gaza, the 500-pound bombs are moving forward as part of the usual process,” he added.

Israel has said the Israel Defense Forces need the heavy 2,000-pound bombs to “dismantle Hamas’ terror infrastructure,” such as tunnels that have been dug deep beneath Gaza’s civilian areas.

“Other than the one shipment with the 2,000-pound bombs that has been paused and remains paused, weapons shipments continue to move in due course. But we’re not going to get into specifics of every shipment,” a National Security Council spokesman added.

U.S. State Department Spokesman Matthew Miller defended that decision, saying Israel’s intense Rafah operation was not “on the scale of” past IDF operations in Gaza City and Khan Younis. “This so far is a different type of military operation,” he stressed.

MOUNTING DEATH TOLL

The Hamas-run health ministry in Gaza says more than 38,000 Palestinians have been killed.

Those figures have been complex to verify independently, and Gaza authorities do not differentiate between combatants and civilians.

Israel’s government says it launched the Gaza invasion after Hamas killed some 1,200 people and kidnapped about 250 other persons in Israel on October 7. Some 120 hostages remain unaccounted for in Gaza, including four kidnapped in 2014 and 2015.

Yet, Israel has expressed concern that the lack of more heavy weapons from the United States could undermine its military efforts to protect the Jewish nation amid mounting dangers.

“The Israeli military is stretched to the point right now where it’s operating in Gaza and in the north and in the West Bank — and that is having a strain on its capabilities,” said Rami Dajani, an expert on Israel and the Palestinian territories at the International Crisis Group (ICG) in a recent assessment.

Israel’s army is one of the world’s best-funded militaries, but it relies on reservists for much of its fighting force.

However, with Hezbollah increasing its attacks against Israel, concerns remained Thursday about the delays in American ammunition deliveries.

Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.


Latest News from Worthy News

Declassified FBI Files Reveal Alleged Chinese Influence Campaign Using Sex, Donations and Political Interns
Declassified FBI Files Reveal Alleged Chinese Influence Campaign Using Sex, Donations and Political Interns

Newly declassified FBI records released by the White House detail what officials describe as a years-long Chinese intelligence effort to penetrate American political circles through sexual relationships, campaign donations, and strategically placed interns.

Board of Peace Weighs Major Shift in Hamas Disarmament Plan Amid Israeli Pushback
Board of Peace Weighs Major Shift in Hamas Disarmament Plan Amid Israeli Pushback

President Donald Trump’s Board of Peace is considering a significant overhaul of its Gaza disarmament framework after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu rejected a plan that would have linked Hamas weapons handovers to phased Israeli troop withdrawals, according to an exclusive report by The Times of Israel.

Iran Quietly Prepared for Wider War While Pursuing Talks With Washington
Iran Quietly Prepared for Wider War While Pursuing Talks With Washington

Iran’s rulers were quietly preparing for a broader and potentially prolonged Middle East war even as Tehran publicly engaged in diplomatic efforts with the United States, according to an exclusive investigation by The Wall Street Journal.

Trump Cuts US-South Korea Drills, Citing Good Ties With North Korea’s Leader Despite Christian Persecution (Worthy News In-Depth)
Trump Cuts US-South Korea Drills, Citing Good Ties With North Korea’s Leader Despite Christian Persecution (Worthy News In-Depth)

U.S. President Donald J. Trump announced Sunday that he had ordered the Pentagon to “substantially reduce” military exercises with key regional ally South Korea, citing his “very good relationship” with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and Seoul’s refusal to assist Washington in its confrontation with Iran.

Indonesia Quake Toll Rises To 53 As Christians Pray, Rescuers Search Rubble
Indonesia Quake Toll Rises To 53 As Christians Pray, Rescuers Search Rubble

Rescue teams in eastern Indonesia recovered six more bodies Sunday following a powerful magnitude 7.7 earthquake, raising the death toll to at least 53 as Christians prayed for victims and rescuers struggled to reach isolated communities.

Pentagon Schools Adding Christianity-Focused Western Civilization Course (Worthy News In-Depth)
Pentagon Schools Adding Christianity-Focused Western Civilization Course (Worthy News In-Depth)

The U.S. Department of Defense is introducing a course centered on Christianity and Western civilization this fall in the schools it operates for military families, while casting Islam as a threat to both.

New York Jews Reeling After Synagogue Attack, Hate Crime Charges
New York Jews Reeling After Synagogue Attack, Hate Crime Charges

New York’s Jewish community was reeling Sunday as a judge ordered a man held on bail after prosecutors said he admitted to disrupting Shabbat services at Manhattan’s Central Synagogue and assaulting two people there.