
By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent Worthy News
WASHINGTON/RIYADH (Worthy News) – The administration of outgoing U.S. President Joe Biden still believes it can broker a normalization agreement between Israel and Saudi Arabia before the November U.S. presidential election.
Despite the Israel-Hamas war waging in Gaza, “President Biden absolutely believes normalization between Israel and Saudi Arabia is possible. And he believes that it’s certainly possible to get it done before the end of his time as president,” said National Security Council spokesperson John Kirby in an interview with The Times of Israel (TOI) online newspaper.
“He recognizes that there’s a lot of spade work that needs to be done before you can get there, [but] that’s why we’re in Doha right now trying to get this ceasefire in place so that we can start to make some progress on larger regional issues,” Kirby was quoted as saying.
The deal would resemble the Abraham Accords, which impacted diplomatic relations, trade, and security and were inked under previous President Donald J. Trump.
The bilateral agreements on Arab–Israeli normalization were signed on September 15, 2020, between Israel and the United Arab Emirates and between Israel and Bahrain.
Kirby’s announcement came despite American and Israeli officials familiar with the talks saying last month that “Normalization between Saudi Arabia and Israel is no longer a realistic possibility until after the U.S. presidential elections in November.”
It was not immediately clear what had changed the White House’s tone to one of optimism.
SEEKING ALLIES
However, it comes while both the U.S. and Israel seek allies to prevent an all-out war in the region, according to a Worthy News assessment.
With Israel’s war against Hamas ongoing in Gaza, there is mounting concern that Lebanon-based Hezbollah will further escalate the armed conflict, backed by Iran.
Israel’s military says it is ready to fight a war on two fronts, but experts caution that Hezbollah is a far more formidable force than Hamas.
It’s estimated the Iran-backed group has around 150,000 rockets, some capable of reaching targets across Israel.
Hezbollah fighters, some of whom have fought in the war in Syria, are well-trained and better equipped than those of Hamas, according to experts familiar with the situation.
Yet there were no signs that Saudi Arabia would assist Israel in preventing or holding off such attacks as Riyadh criticized Israel over its crackdown on Hamas and statements over Jerusalem.
Saudi Arabia’s Minister of Media Salman Al-Dossary told media that the Cabinet confirmed “its absolute rejection of extremist and incendiary Israeli statements and the continuous provocations of the feelings of Muslims around the world.”
BUILDING SYNAGOGUE
His remarks came after Israel’s National Security Minister Itamar Ben Gvir told Army Radio that if it were possible, he would build a synagogue at the Al-Aqsa compound, known to Jews as the Temple Mount.
Muslims see the Al-Aqsa compound in Jerusalem as Islam’s “third holiest site” and a symbol of Palestinian national identity.
However, in Judaism, it is revered as the site of the second temple, which was destroyed by the Romans in 70 AD.
“If I could do anything I wanted, I would put an Israeli flag on the site,” Ben Gvir said in the interview. He also defended his decision to pray at the site despite a long-standing government ban on Jews to pray there.
The policy at the Temple Mount allows praying there. Period,” Ben-Gvir said.
He added: “The prime minister knew when I joined the government, there would not be any discrimination. Muslims are allowed to pray, and a Jew is not allowed to pray?”
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
Latest News from Worthy News
Iran’s rulers were quietly preparing for a broader and potentially prolonged Middle East war even as Tehran publicly engaged in diplomatic efforts with the United States, according to an exclusive investigation by The Wall Street Journal.
U.S. President Donald J. Trump announced Sunday that he had ordered the Pentagon to “substantially reduce” military exercises with key regional ally South Korea, citing his “very good relationship” with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and Seoul’s refusal to assist Washington in its confrontation with Iran.
Rescue teams in eastern Indonesia recovered six more bodies Sunday following a powerful magnitude 7.7 earthquake, raising the death toll to at least 53 as Christians prayed for victims and rescuers struggled to reach isolated communities.
The U.S. Department of Defense is introducing a course centered on Christianity and Western civilization this fall in the schools it operates for military families, while casting Islam as a threat to both.
New York’s Jewish community was reeling Sunday as a judge ordered a man held on bail after prosecutors said he admitted to disrupting Shabbat services at Manhattan’s Central Synagogue and assaulting two people there.
Dutch Prime Minister Rob Jetten faced mounting pressure Sunday after two people died in a traffic accident linked to a farmers’ protest, while his government was drawn into a separate controversy over a prominent statesman’s comparison involving Israel and Nazi Germany.
Amid mounting military cooperation, North Korean leader Kim Jong Un reaffirmed deepening ties with Russia in a message to President Vladimir Putin as Pyongyang marked the anniversary of “independence from Japan’s colonial rule,” state media reported Sunday.






