US Pushes Hamas On Ceasefire With Israel

By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent Worthy News

JERUSALEM (Worthy News) – U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken urged Hamas Wednesday to accept the latest proposal for a cease-fire with Israel that would free hostages and pause the nearly seven months of war in Gaza that has killed thousands.

He met Wednesday with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in Jerusalem to discuss “ongoing efforts to reach an immediate ceasefire in Gaza as part of a hostage deal,” said spokesperson Matthew Miller in remarks obtained by Worthy News.

Blinken said the “time is now” for an accord, but sources familiar with the discussions acknowledged that a stumbling block appeared to remain — whether the deal would ultimately end Israel’s offensive as Hamas has demanded.

He also “emphasized that it is Hamas that is standing in the way of a ceasefire,” Miller added about the group that the U.S. and Israel consider a terrorist organization.

Additionally, the Secretary of State “discussed the improvement in the delivery of humanitarian aid to Gaza since the call between President [Joe] Biden and Prime Minister Netanyahu on April 4,” Millar stressed.

Blinken “reiterated the importance of accelerating and sustaining that improvement”[in aid deliveries], the spokesperson added.

Secretary Blinken “reaffirmed the U.S. commitment to Israel’s security,” Miller said, at a time when Israel faces attacks from Iran or its proxies.

AVOIDING CONFLICT EXPANSION

Yet Blinken also discussed the need to avoid further expansion of the conflict and updated Netanyahu on ongoing efforts “to ensure a lasting, sustainable peace in the region,” Miller confirmed.

Blinken reiterated the United States’ “clear position on Rafah,” the city in southern Gaza that Israel has threatened to invade in its efforts to “eradicate Hamas,” Worthy News learned.

The U.S. and fellow mediators Egypt and Qatar hope to avert an Israeli offensive into the southern Gaza city of Rafah, where some 1.4 million Palestinians are sheltering.

Blinken met with Israeli leaders throughout Wednesday on the last stop of his seventh visit to the region since the war erupted in October.

At least 133 hostages have remained in Hamas captivity in the Gaza Strip, 129 of whom had been abducted on October 7 last year. The other four were captured earlier.

However, as many as dozens of hostages are believed to have died with Hamas using civilians as human shields during Israeli attacks or directly killing those they detain.

Throughout months of talks, Hamas has said the freeing of all the hostages it holds must bring a permanent halt to the war and the withdrawal of Israeli troops from Gaza.

It also seeks the release of many hundreds of Palestinian security prisoners held by Israel.

Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.


Latest News from Worthy News

Declassified FBI Files Reveal Alleged Chinese Influence Campaign Using Sex, Donations and Political Interns
Declassified FBI Files Reveal Alleged Chinese Influence Campaign Using Sex, Donations and Political Interns

Newly declassified FBI records released by the White House detail what officials describe as a years-long Chinese intelligence effort to penetrate American political circles through sexual relationships, campaign donations, and strategically placed interns.

Board of Peace Weighs Major Shift in Hamas Disarmament Plan Amid Israeli Pushback
Board of Peace Weighs Major Shift in Hamas Disarmament Plan Amid Israeli Pushback

President Donald Trump’s Board of Peace is considering a significant overhaul of its Gaza disarmament framework after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu rejected a plan that would have linked Hamas weapons handovers to phased Israeli troop withdrawals, according to an exclusive report by The Times of Israel.

Iran Quietly Prepared for Wider War While Pursuing Talks With Washington
Iran Quietly Prepared for Wider War While Pursuing Talks With Washington

Iran’s rulers were quietly preparing for a broader and potentially prolonged Middle East war even as Tehran publicly engaged in diplomatic efforts with the United States, according to an exclusive investigation by The Wall Street Journal.

Trump Cuts US-South Korea Drills, Citing Good Ties With North Korea’s Leader Despite Christian Persecution (Worthy News In-Depth)
Trump Cuts US-South Korea Drills, Citing Good Ties With North Korea’s Leader Despite Christian Persecution (Worthy News In-Depth)

U.S. President Donald J. Trump announced Sunday that he had ordered the Pentagon to “substantially reduce” military exercises with key regional ally South Korea, citing his “very good relationship” with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and Seoul’s refusal to assist Washington in its confrontation with Iran.

Indonesia Quake Toll Rises To 53 As Christians Pray, Rescuers Search Rubble
Indonesia Quake Toll Rises To 53 As Christians Pray, Rescuers Search Rubble

Rescue teams in eastern Indonesia recovered six more bodies Sunday following a powerful magnitude 7.7 earthquake, raising the death toll to at least 53 as Christians prayed for victims and rescuers struggled to reach isolated communities.

Pentagon Schools Adding Christianity-Focused Western Civilization Course (Worthy News In-Depth)
Pentagon Schools Adding Christianity-Focused Western Civilization Course (Worthy News In-Depth)

The U.S. Department of Defense is introducing a course centered on Christianity and Western civilization this fall in the schools it operates for military families, while casting Islam as a threat to both.

New York Jews Reeling After Synagogue Attack, Hate Crime Charges
New York Jews Reeling After Synagogue Attack, Hate Crime Charges

New York’s Jewish community was reeling Sunday as a judge ordered a man held on bail after prosecutors said he admitted to disrupting Shabbat services at Manhattan’s Central Synagogue and assaulting two people there.