
by Emmitt Barry, Worthy News Correspondent
(Worthy News) – The United Nations Security Council called on Hamas to accept Israel’s ceasefire offer on Monday after passing a U.S. resolution in a 14-0 vote to increase pressure on the terrorist organization.
Fourteen of the 15 council members voted in favor of the resolution, with only Russia abstaining. U.S. officials hoped that with Russia and China not vetoing the resolution, it would influence Hamas’ decision-making.
Israel opposed the resolution last week, objecting to some of the amendments made to the text.
However, the U.S. addressed one of Israel’s concerns by removing an explicit rejection of the establishment of Israeli security buffer zones in Gaza.
This move seemed to satisfy Israel, as its representative at Monday’s meeting refrained from criticizing or directly commenting on the resolution.
“Today we voted for peace,” U.S. Ambassador to the U.N. Linda Thomas-Greenfield told the Security Council. She added that the resolution shows Hamas that the international community is united to end a war that has gone on since the October 7 massacre in Israel, which killed some 1,200 people.
“United behind a deal that will save lives and help Palestinian civilians in Gaza start to rebuild and heal. United behind a deal that will reunite hostages with their families, after eight months in captivity,” she said.
Israel Channel 12 reported on Monday that it had obtained the Israeli proposal, which includes a commitment to end the war in Gaza even before all hostages are released. Contrary to Prime Minister Netanyahu’s previous statements, the four-page document does not call for the elimination of Hamas as a governing force in Gaza, but does commit to ending the war before the release of all hostages.
However, immediately following the broadcast, Netanyahu’s office called it misleading, stating that the claim Israel had agreed to end the war before achieving its goals was “a total lie.”
The resolution passed by the United Nations Security Council was the fourth since the war began on October 7, following Hamas’s attack on Israel.
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
Latest News from Worthy News
Newly declassified FBI records released by the White House detail what officials describe as a years-long Chinese intelligence effort to penetrate American political circles through sexual relationships, campaign donations, and strategically placed interns.
President Donald Trump’s Board of Peace is considering a significant overhaul of its Gaza disarmament framework after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu rejected a plan that would have linked Hamas weapons handovers to phased Israeli troop withdrawals, according to an exclusive report by The Times of Israel.
Iran’s rulers were quietly preparing for a broader and potentially prolonged Middle East war even as Tehran publicly engaged in diplomatic efforts with the United States, according to an exclusive investigation by The Wall Street Journal.
U.S. President Donald J. Trump announced Sunday that he had ordered the Pentagon to “substantially reduce” military exercises with key regional ally South Korea, citing his “very good relationship” with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and Seoul’s refusal to assist Washington in its confrontation with Iran.
Rescue teams in eastern Indonesia recovered six more bodies Sunday following a powerful magnitude 7.7 earthquake, raising the death toll to at least 53 as Christians prayed for victims and rescuers struggled to reach isolated communities.
The U.S. Department of Defense is introducing a course centered on Christianity and Western civilization this fall in the schools it operates for military families, while casting Islam as a threat to both.
New York’s Jewish community was reeling Sunday as a judge ordered a man held on bail after prosecutors said he admitted to disrupting Shabbat services at Manhattan’s Central Synagogue and assaulting two people there.






