Turkey Halts Trade With Israel In Protest Over Gaza War

By Worthy News’ George Whitten and Stefan J. Bos

ANKARA/JERUSALEM (Worthy News) – Turkey on Thursday suspended all trade with Israel in protest over its ongoing war against Hamas in Gaza, which the Turkish trade ministry said had turned into a “humanitarian tragedy.”

The ban on imports from and exports to Israel “covering all products” will remain in place until the Jewish nation allows an “uninterrupted and sufficient flow” of aid into Gaza, Turkish trade officials said.

Israel has denied wrongdoing and has accused Hamas of stealing aid in Gaza intended for innocent Palestinians.

Turkey’s decision came despite trade between the two countries amounting to almost $7 billion last year.

Israel’s foreign minister accused Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan of acting like a “dictator.”

Israel Katz said on social media platform X that Erdogan was also “disregarding the interests of the Turkish people and businessmen and ignoring international trade agreements.”

PALESTINIAN AUTHORITIES

Turkish officials said they will “coordinate with Palestinian authorities” to ensure that Palestinians are not affected by the suspension of imports and exports.

Last month, Turkey — a staunch critic of Israel’s military actions — already announced it was restricting exports of 54 types of products to Israel, including aluminum, steel, construction products, and chemical fertilizers.

Israel responded by also announcing trade barriers.

It has rejected Turkey’s criticism, saying the war on Gaza was triggered by Hamas fighters who, on October 7, killed at least 1,136 Israeli citizens and took about 250 people hostage.

Israel sent soldiers into Gaza and bombarded suspected Hamas sites in the territory, killing more than 34,000 people, according to the Hamas-run health ministry.

The ministry figures have been complex to verify, and it doesn’t differentiate between combatants and Palestinian civilians.

‘GENOCIDE’ CASE

Despite questions about the death toll cited by Hamas-linked officials, Turkey’s Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan said earlier this week that Ankara would also join South Africa’s genocide case against Israel at the International Court of Justice (ICJ).

Nicaragua and Colombia have previously tried to intervene in the same case with separate applications, but the court has yet to make a judgment on their request.

Fidan revealed that Turkey discussed the issue with some members of the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation, who said they are likely also to join the case.

The announcement came after the Turkish president last month publicly met Hamas leaders, including the political bureau chief Ismail Haniyeh, for the first time since the October 7 October attack against Israel by the group.

He also dispatched his Foreign Minister Fidan to Doha to meet senior Hamas officials.

Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.


Latest News from Worthy News

Declassified FBI Files Reveal Alleged Chinese Influence Campaign Using Sex, Donations and Political Interns
Declassified FBI Files Reveal Alleged Chinese Influence Campaign Using Sex, Donations and Political Interns

Newly declassified FBI records released by the White House detail what officials describe as a years-long Chinese intelligence effort to penetrate American political circles through sexual relationships, campaign donations, and strategically placed interns.

Board of Peace Weighs Major Shift in Hamas Disarmament Plan Amid Israeli Pushback
Board of Peace Weighs Major Shift in Hamas Disarmament Plan Amid Israeli Pushback

President Donald Trump’s Board of Peace is considering a significant overhaul of its Gaza disarmament framework after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu rejected a plan that would have linked Hamas weapons handovers to phased Israeli troop withdrawals, according to an exclusive report by The Times of Israel.

Iran Quietly Prepared for Wider War While Pursuing Talks With Washington
Iran Quietly Prepared for Wider War While Pursuing Talks With Washington

Iran’s rulers were quietly preparing for a broader and potentially prolonged Middle East war even as Tehran publicly engaged in diplomatic efforts with the United States, according to an exclusive investigation by The Wall Street Journal.

Trump Cuts US-South Korea Drills, Citing Good Ties With North Korea’s Leader Despite Christian Persecution (Worthy News In-Depth)
Trump Cuts US-South Korea Drills, Citing Good Ties With North Korea’s Leader Despite Christian Persecution (Worthy News In-Depth)

U.S. President Donald J. Trump announced Sunday that he had ordered the Pentagon to “substantially reduce” military exercises with key regional ally South Korea, citing his “very good relationship” with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and Seoul’s refusal to assist Washington in its confrontation with Iran.

Indonesia Quake Toll Rises To 53 As Christians Pray, Rescuers Search Rubble
Indonesia Quake Toll Rises To 53 As Christians Pray, Rescuers Search Rubble

Rescue teams in eastern Indonesia recovered six more bodies Sunday following a powerful magnitude 7.7 earthquake, raising the death toll to at least 53 as Christians prayed for victims and rescuers struggled to reach isolated communities.

Pentagon Schools Adding Christianity-Focused Western Civilization Course (Worthy News In-Depth)
Pentagon Schools Adding Christianity-Focused Western Civilization Course (Worthy News In-Depth)

The U.S. Department of Defense is introducing a course centered on Christianity and Western civilization this fall in the schools it operates for military families, while casting Islam as a threat to both.

New York Jews Reeling After Synagogue Attack, Hate Crime Charges
New York Jews Reeling After Synagogue Attack, Hate Crime Charges

New York’s Jewish community was reeling Sunday as a judge ordered a man held on bail after prosecutors said he admitted to disrupting Shabbat services at Manhattan’s Central Synagogue and assaulting two people there.