Relatives Hostages Storm Israel Parliament

By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent Worthy News

JERUSALEM (Worthy News) – A group of relatives of Israelis held hostage by Hamas stormed a parliamentary committee session in Jerusalem, demanding that legislators and the government do more to free their loved ones who were kidnapped on October 7.

In the Knesset, Israel’s parliament, ushers stood by during the commotion in the finance committee. One lawmaker covered her face with her hands.

The panel chair, Moshe Gafni, the head of an ultra-Orthodox Jewish party in Benjamin Netanyahu’s coalition, called a halt to the economic briefing underway and sought to calm a protester.

“Redeeming captives is the most important precept in Judaism, especially in this case, where there is an urgency to preserving life,” he said, but added: “Quitting the coalition would not achieve anything.”

Soon after the incident, Israel’s prime minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, pushed back on Monday following reports that a new release of Gaza hostages was underway.

He told relatives that Israel was taking an unspecified initiative in the absence of an offer by Hamas, condemned as a Palestinian Islamist terrorist organization by Israel.

“There is no real proposal by Hamas. It’s not true,” he stressed in a statement.

INCORRECT STATEMENTS

“I am saying this as clearly as I can because there are so many incorrect statements which are certainly agonizing for you,” Netanyahu added. “Conversely, there is an initiative on our part, on which I shall not elaborate.”

Netanyahu’s government says an Israeli offensive launched in retaliation for the October 7 cross-border Hamas killings of about 1,200 people and kidnappings of nearly 250 others is aimed at crushing Hamas and pressuring the kidnappers to release hostages on “acceptable terms.”

But many of the relatives and their supporters worry the hostages may be killed. Last week Hamas released a video purportedly showing the human remains of Yossi Sharabi, 53, and 38-year-old Itai Svirsky.

A third hostage, Noa Argamani, 26, said in the video that they died due to attacks by their “own” Israeli forces in Gaza.

And on Sunday, Israel’s military announced the death of 19-year-old Sergeant Shay Levinson, who was among the hostages. His date of death was given as October 7 but there were no further details. Israeli media said his body is still in Gaza.

They were among about 240 people being kidnapped more than 100 days ago by Hamas fighters.

Around half of the hostages were released during a short-lived November truce, but Israel says 132 remain in Gaza and that at least 25 have died in captivity.

In recent days, thousands gathered in Tel Aviv to remember Kfir Bibas, who marked “the saddest birthday in the world” on Thursday as the youngest hostage being held by Hamas in Gaza turned one year old.

TAKEN AWAY

The baby boy was kidnapped from Kibbutz Nir Oz on October 7, when he was nine months old, alongside his parents, Yarden and Shiri, and his four-year-old brother Ariel.

It is not clear whether Kfir and his family are still alive. Hamas claimed that Kfir, his brother, and his mother were killed in an Israeli airstrike.

Over the more than three months of the Gaza war, Kfir Bibas’s face has become known around the world as about a quarter of his life has been held captive by Hamas.

Nine-year-old Emily Hand, released on November 26, wrote, “I hope you get out of there as soon as possible. I understand the feeling because I was there, too. Sending you hugs and love.”

Yet without a breakthrough in talks, domestic and international pressure grows on Israel’s government to make concessions.

On Monday, the British prime minister’s official spokesperson said Britain was “disappointed” to hear of Benjamin Netanyahu’s opposition to the establishment of a Palestinian state.

Britain vowed to continue its support for a two-state solution in the Middle East.

Yet Netanyahu says a Palestinian state would threaten Israel’s security following the October 7 attack, the worst single atrocity in modern-day Israel’s over 75-year history.

Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.


Latest News from Worthy News

Humanoid Robots Could Soon Patrol U.S. Southern Border as AI Security Technology Advances
Humanoid Robots Could Soon Patrol U.S. Southern Border as AI Security Technology Advances

Humanoid robots capable of navigating rugged terrain, detecting people and conducting around-the-clock surveillance could eventually join U.S. Border Patrol operations along the southern border, as an American robotics company moves closer to potential national-security deployments.

Israel Strikes Syrian Airbase After Turkish Military Visit, Drawing Rare U.S. Rebuke
Israel Strikes Syrian Airbase After Turkish Military Visit, Drawing Rare U.S. Rebuke

Israel carried out an unusual airstrike deep inside northwestern Syria early Tuesday, targeting the strategic Abu al-Duhur military airfield shortly after a Turkish military delegation reportedly visited the base to assess its rehabilitation, according to Israeli and Syrian reports. The operation prompted a rare public rebuke from a senior U.S. envoy.

Declassified FBI Files Reveal Alleged Chinese Influence Campaign Using Sex, Donations and Political Interns
Declassified FBI Files Reveal Alleged Chinese Influence Campaign Using Sex, Donations and Political Interns

Newly declassified FBI records released by the White House detail what officials describe as a years-long Chinese intelligence effort to penetrate American political circles through sexual relationships, campaign donations, and strategically placed interns.

Board of Peace Weighs Major Shift in Hamas Disarmament Plan Amid Israeli Pushback
Board of Peace Weighs Major Shift in Hamas Disarmament Plan Amid Israeli Pushback

President Donald Trump’s Board of Peace is considering a significant overhaul of its Gaza disarmament framework after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu rejected a plan that would have linked Hamas weapons handovers to phased Israeli troop withdrawals, according to an exclusive report by The Times of Israel.

Iran Quietly Prepared for Wider War While Pursuing Talks With Washington
Iran Quietly Prepared for Wider War While Pursuing Talks With Washington

Iran’s rulers were quietly preparing for a broader and potentially prolonged Middle East war even as Tehran publicly engaged in diplomatic efforts with the United States, according to an exclusive investigation by The Wall Street Journal.

Trump Cuts US-South Korea Drills, Citing Good Ties With North Korea’s Leader Despite Christian Persecution (Worthy News In-Depth)
Trump Cuts US-South Korea Drills, Citing Good Ties With North Korea’s Leader Despite Christian Persecution (Worthy News In-Depth)

U.S. President Donald J. Trump announced Sunday that he had ordered the Pentagon to “substantially reduce” military exercises with key regional ally South Korea, citing his “very good relationship” with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and Seoul’s refusal to assist Washington in its confrontation with Iran.

Indonesia Quake Toll Rises To 53 As Christians Pray, Rescuers Search Rubble
Indonesia Quake Toll Rises To 53 As Christians Pray, Rescuers Search Rubble

Rescue teams in eastern Indonesia recovered six more bodies Sunday following a powerful magnitude 7.7 earthquake, raising the death toll to at least 53 as Christians prayed for victims and rescuers struggled to reach isolated communities.