
By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent Worthy News
RAMALLAH/JERUSALEM (Worthy News) – Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas issued a decree Monday “to end” a system of payments to families of Palestinians imprisoned or killed after carrying out attacks against Israel, but critics called it window dressing as disbursements would continue under a new scheme.
The payments, dubbed “pay for slay” by commentators who say it rewards “the families of terrorists,” have been a longstanding source of friction with the United States.
Amid pressure, Abbas agreed to sign a decree stating that families of prisoners and slain attackers who require welfare assistance will be eligible for stipends “based solely on their financial needs,” as is the case with other Palestinians.
The initiative to cancel the stipends had been in the works for years, and its pilot program was “even quietly launched” toward the end of the administration of previous U.S. President Joe Biden, U.S. and Israeli sources say.
The Palestinian Authority (PA) presented the reform to the United States at the start of Biden’s administration over four years ago to bring it into compliance with legislation adopted by the U.S. Congress in 2018, Worthy News learned.
The so-called “Taylor Force Act” suspended American aid to the PA as long as it continued granting the controversial welfare payments. It was not immediately clear when and if the aid would resume under President Donald J. Trump’s administration, which had been critical of government spending.
SUSPENDING OPERATIONS
Trump effectively suspended operations of the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) over alleged misspending of at least hundreds of millions of dollars.
Abbas signed the decree while the U.S. Supreme Court prepares to rule this year on whether American victims of terrorism can sue the PA and its international arm, the Palestine Liberation Organization, for “damages” due to Ramallah’s payments program, Israeli commentators said.
The PA did not address the case but said the decree was made partly to “strengthen the status of the state of Palestine” in the United Nations and other international bodies.
It was also aimed at gaining “further international recognition” and “restoring international aid programs that were suspended in the past year.” The move was also designed to stop “the illegal deductions” that Israel made from taxes it gathered on behalf of the Palestinian Authority, the decree added.
However, Israel did not appear in a hurry to resume payments. Israel’s Foreign Ministry dismissed the decree “as a new fraudulent exercise by the PA, which intends to continue making payments to terrorists and their families through other channels.”
Sources familiar with the Arabic text of the decree pointed out that it still says that “under no circumstances will the salaries of martyrs and prisoners be harmed” and “all families who benefited from the previous system will continue to enjoy the same criteria without discrimination under the new welfare programs.”
DECISION POSTPONED?
Israeli law requires the government to conduct a review of the PA’s prisoner payment system at the beginning of every calendar year, according to experts.
Analysts say that could enable Jerusalem to wait until early next year before deciding whether Ramallah complies with Israeli legislation targeting the PA payment system.
Observers say that despite the decree, many families of prisoners and slain attackers who were receiving government stipends will continue to receive financial aid due to widespread poverty in the West Bank, also known as Judaea and Samaria.
Poverty has increased since October 7, 2023, when Israel ended its permit system for over 100,000 Palestinians working in Israel and settlements — a key component of the West Bank’s economy.
Israel’s government suggested it decided to target extremists among Palestinians after Hamas fighters killed 1,200 people and abducted some 250 others in Israel more than 16 months ago.
It was described as “the worst atrocity” against Jews in Israel since the Holocaust, also known as the Shoah.
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
Latest News from Worthy News
The United States is rapidly approaching another historic fiscal milestone, with the national debt now nearing $40 trillion as Washington continues running massive annual deficits and interest costs consume a growing share of federal spending.
U.S. envoy Jared Kushner met senior Hamas leaders in Egypt on Sunday as the Trump administration intensified efforts to move Gaza toward disarmament and postwar governance, even as Israel continued targeted strikes against terrorist operatives inside the Gaza Strip.
A third red heifer has been born in Israel this season, giving rabbis three candidates now being examined as part of renewed efforts connected to the biblical purification rites required for Temple service.
A highly unusual midsummer storm swept across parts of Israel on Saturday, August 15, bringing heavy rain to Jerusalem, shattering August rainfall records near the capital, and sending floodwaters through a Judean Desert stream in what meteorologists described as an unprecedented summer event.
France’s Constitutional Council has upheld the core provisions of a sweeping new law establishing a legal right to assisted dying, clearing one of the final major obstacles to euthanasia and assisted suicide in a nation long shaped by Catholic tradition.
Scores of people have been killed after a powerful 7.7-magnitude earthquake struck Indonesia’s Flores Island early Saturday, authorities said, as rescuers struggled to reach some of the hardest-hit areas, while a less powerful tremor was reported in North Sumatra province.
Five people were injured, one critically, in a shooting involving multiple gunmen at Virginia State University early Saturday, authorities said, a day after six people, including a suspected shooter, died in separate shootings in Michigan.






