Over 1 Million Evacuated as Israeli Tanks Enter Rafah

by Emmitt Barry, Worthy News Correspondent

(Worthy News) – Israeli tanks reached the center of Rafah for the first time on Tuesday, according to witnesses, as the military continued its incursion into Gaza’s southernmost city despite growing international opposition to the operation.

According to security sources and an official UNRWA notice, over one million Gazans have already evacuated Rafah. Some have relocated to northern Rafah, while others have moved to humanitarian areas in Al Mawasi, Khan Yunis, and central Gaza.

“The operation is being carried out alongside efforts to prevent harm to those uninvolved,” the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) stated. “The forces are waging battles with terrorists, locating underground tunnel shafts in the area, weapons, and additional terror infrastructure.”

In response to the tragedy earlier this week that led to the deaths of dozens of civilians, the Israel Defense Forces stated Tuesday that a hidden weapons store might have caused the deadly blaze in southern Gaza’s Rafah.

The IDF noted that an adjacent airstrike used small munitions incapable of igniting such a fire independently. The military suspects a secondary explosion from these munitions or another unknown combustible substance led to the fire that spread in a complex housing displaced Gazans, resulting in scores of deaths.

This attack and the resulting fatalities prompted international condemnation, with Palestinians and many Arab countries labeling it a “massacre.” The United Nations Security Council scheduled an emergency meeting on the incident, which Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu called a “tragic mishap.”

In an update on its ongoing investigation, the IDF reported that it had been tracking Hamas commanders Yassin Rabia and Khaled Najjar ahead of the Sunday night strike on a compound in the Tel Sultan neighborhood of western Rafah.

According to IDF intelligence, the area had been used for Hamas activity, with a rocket launcher located just a few dozen meters from where the two commanders were killed.

IDF Spokesman Rear Adm. Daniel Hagari, in a press conference on Tuesday, said the military is still investigating the tragedy while providing evidence that the fire was caused by something else in the area.

“On Sunday, we eliminated senior Hamas terrorists in a targeted strike on a compound used by Hamas in Rafah. The strike was based on precise intelligence indicating that these terrorists, responsible for orchestrating and executing terror attacks against Israelis, were meeting inside the targeted structure,” Hagari said.

“We took several steps prior to the strike to avoid civilian casualties, including aerial surveillance, using specific munitions to minimize collateral damage, delaying the attack to assess the expected civilian presence, and other measures,” the spokesman added.

The IDF also reported that it expanded its operations along the Philadelphi Corridor overnight, targeting infrastructure belonging to terror groups in the area. Troops located tunnels and weapons, and killed numerous operatives in the Rafah region.

According to recent Hebrew media reports, the IDF has captured approximately 70 percent of the Philadelphi Corridor, which runs for 14 kilometers (8.7 miles) along the Gaza-Egypt border.

Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.


Latest News from Worthy News

Declassified FBI Files Reveal Alleged Chinese Influence Campaign Using Sex, Donations and Political Interns
Declassified FBI Files Reveal Alleged Chinese Influence Campaign Using Sex, Donations and Political Interns

Newly declassified FBI records released by the White House detail what officials describe as a years-long Chinese intelligence effort to penetrate American political circles through sexual relationships, campaign donations, and strategically placed interns.

Board of Peace Weighs Major Shift in Hamas Disarmament Plan Amid Israeli Pushback
Board of Peace Weighs Major Shift in Hamas Disarmament Plan Amid Israeli Pushback

President Donald Trump’s Board of Peace is considering a significant overhaul of its Gaza disarmament framework after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu rejected a plan that would have linked Hamas weapons handovers to phased Israeli troop withdrawals, according to an exclusive report by The Times of Israel.

Iran Quietly Prepared for Wider War While Pursuing Talks With Washington
Iran Quietly Prepared for Wider War While Pursuing Talks With Washington

Iran’s rulers were quietly preparing for a broader and potentially prolonged Middle East war even as Tehran publicly engaged in diplomatic efforts with the United States, according to an exclusive investigation by The Wall Street Journal.

Trump Cuts US-South Korea Drills, Citing Good Ties With North Korea’s Leader Despite Christian Persecution (Worthy News In-Depth)
Trump Cuts US-South Korea Drills, Citing Good Ties With North Korea’s Leader Despite Christian Persecution (Worthy News In-Depth)

U.S. President Donald J. Trump announced Sunday that he had ordered the Pentagon to “substantially reduce” military exercises with key regional ally South Korea, citing his “very good relationship” with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and Seoul’s refusal to assist Washington in its confrontation with Iran.

Indonesia Quake Toll Rises To 53 As Christians Pray, Rescuers Search Rubble
Indonesia Quake Toll Rises To 53 As Christians Pray, Rescuers Search Rubble

Rescue teams in eastern Indonesia recovered six more bodies Sunday following a powerful magnitude 7.7 earthquake, raising the death toll to at least 53 as Christians prayed for victims and rescuers struggled to reach isolated communities.

Pentagon Schools Adding Christianity-Focused Western Civilization Course (Worthy News In-Depth)
Pentagon Schools Adding Christianity-Focused Western Civilization Course (Worthy News In-Depth)

The U.S. Department of Defense is introducing a course centered on Christianity and Western civilization this fall in the schools it operates for military families, while casting Islam as a threat to both.

New York Jews Reeling After Synagogue Attack, Hate Crime Charges
New York Jews Reeling After Synagogue Attack, Hate Crime Charges

New York’s Jewish community was reeling Sunday as a judge ordered a man held on bail after prosecutors said he admitted to disrupting Shabbat services at Manhattan’s Central Synagogue and assaulting two people there.