
by Karen Faulkner, Worthy News Correspondent
(Worthy News) – The number of Israeli hostages who are still alive in Gaza following their capture by Hamas on Oct. 7 “could be as low as 50,” the Wall Street Journal (WSJ) reported on Thursday, June 20. The WSJ report cites hostage mediators and a US official with knowledge of current intelligence on the issue of Israeli captives in Gaza.
Around 250 Israeli and foreign hostages were kidnapped to Gaza during the Oct. 7 attack on Israel by Hamas: 116 hostages remain unaccounted for.
Israel has already officially stated that 41 hostages still in Gaza have died, All Israel News (AIN) reports. The IDF has so far retrieved 19 bodies of hostages for burial in Israel, including eight in the last three months, AIN said.
Neither the U.S. Office of the Director of National Intelligence nor the Israeli Prime Minister’s Office have commented on the WSJ report.
In a statement made last week, Senior Hamas official Osama Hamdan claimed not to know how many captives are still alive. “I don’t have any idea about that,” Hamdan said. “No one has any idea about this.”
Following a disputed claim by the UK’s Daily Mail in April that only 40 Israeli hostages were still alive, Israel’s Shin Bet countered in a statement that month: “The numbers mentioned in the article are based on the writer’s opinion only and are not based on information from the Shin Bet.”
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
Latest News from Worthy News
Newly declassified FBI records released by the White House detail what officials describe as a years-long Chinese intelligence effort to penetrate American political circles through sexual relationships, campaign donations, and strategically placed interns.
President Donald Trump’s Board of Peace is considering a significant overhaul of its Gaza disarmament framework after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu rejected a plan that would have linked Hamas weapons handovers to phased Israeli troop withdrawals, according to an exclusive report by The Times of Israel.
Iran’s rulers were quietly preparing for a broader and potentially prolonged Middle East war even as Tehran publicly engaged in diplomatic efforts with the United States, according to an exclusive investigation by The Wall Street Journal.
U.S. President Donald J. Trump announced Sunday that he had ordered the Pentagon to “substantially reduce” military exercises with key regional ally South Korea, citing his “very good relationship” with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and Seoul’s refusal to assist Washington in its confrontation with Iran.
Rescue teams in eastern Indonesia recovered six more bodies Sunday following a powerful magnitude 7.7 earthquake, raising the death toll to at least 53 as Christians prayed for victims and rescuers struggled to reach isolated communities.
The U.S. Department of Defense is introducing a course centered on Christianity and Western civilization this fall in the schools it operates for military families, while casting Islam as a threat to both.
New York’s Jewish community was reeling Sunday as a judge ordered a man held on bail after prosecutors said he admitted to disrupting Shabbat services at Manhattan’s Central Synagogue and assaulting two people there.






