
By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent Worthy News
LONDON/JERUSALEM (Worthy News) – Newly elected British Prime Minister Kier Starmer suggested Sunday that Britain could soon recognize Palestinian statehood despite calls from Israel’s government to wait.
Starmer made the comments in talks with Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
In phone calls with the two leaders, Starmer discussed “a two-state solution” and noted that Britain “could recognize Palestinian statehood during the process for a two-state solution rather than at the end of one,” said sources familiar with the talks.
Starmer’s plans reflected the opinion of David Cameron, the former foreign secretary of the Conservative Party. However, Cameron stressed that the time to do so “was not now.”
Yet Starmer seemed to want to push the recognition of Palestine forward, according to a readout of his call with Abbas from the prime minister’s 10 Downing Street office: “Discussing the importance of reform, and ensuring international legitimacy for Palestine, the Prime Minister said that his longstanding policy on recognition to contribute to a peace process had not changed, and it was the undeniable right of Palestinians,” it said.
The planned recognition comes despite repeated protests from Israel after several countries made similar moves in recent months.
“A REWARD”
Israel’s government views recognizing Palestinian statehood now as “a reward” for terrorism as Israeli forces still fight in Gaza against Hamas after the group killed 1,200 people and kidnapped some 250 persons in Israel on October 7.
It was unclear how British Jewish voters would react to the recognition of Palestine. Pollsters suggested that a third to nearly a half of Jewish voters cast ballots for Starmer’s leftist Labour Party in Thursday’s election.
Their return to Labour came after the party acknowledged that antisemitism had soared under Jeremy Corbyn, who the party suspended.
Corbyn denied wrongdoing, saying the issue of hatred towards Jews had been “dramatically overstated” by his critics and claimed there was “no place” for antisemitism in Labour.
Yet the Labour Party adopted a report from the Equality and Human Rights Commission in 2020 saying there had been “a culture within the party which, at best, did not do enough to prevent antisemitism and, at worst, could be seen to accept it.”
It found Labour had broken equality law over its handling of antisemitism complaints, charges Corbyn rejected.
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
Latest News from Worthy News
Newly declassified FBI records released by the White House detail what officials describe as a years-long Chinese intelligence effort to penetrate American political circles through sexual relationships, campaign donations, and strategically placed interns.
President Donald Trump’s Board of Peace is considering a significant overhaul of its Gaza disarmament framework after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu rejected a plan that would have linked Hamas weapons handovers to phased Israeli troop withdrawals, according to an exclusive report by The Times of Israel.
Iran’s rulers were quietly preparing for a broader and potentially prolonged Middle East war even as Tehran publicly engaged in diplomatic efforts with the United States, according to an exclusive investigation by The Wall Street Journal.
U.S. President Donald J. Trump announced Sunday that he had ordered the Pentagon to “substantially reduce” military exercises with key regional ally South Korea, citing his “very good relationship” with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and Seoul’s refusal to assist Washington in its confrontation with Iran.
Rescue teams in eastern Indonesia recovered six more bodies Sunday following a powerful magnitude 7.7 earthquake, raising the death toll to at least 53 as Christians prayed for victims and rescuers struggled to reach isolated communities.
The U.S. Department of Defense is introducing a course centered on Christianity and Western civilization this fall in the schools it operates for military families, while casting Islam as a threat to both.
New York’s Jewish community was reeling Sunday as a judge ordered a man held on bail after prosecutors said he admitted to disrupting Shabbat services at Manhattan’s Central Synagogue and assaulting two people there.






