Netanyahu Claims Hamas Near Defeat; US Warns of Potential Gaza Power Vacuum

by Emmitt Barry, Worthy News Correspondent

(Worthy News) – Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu asserted that the Israel was on the verge of defeating Hamas’s military wing. At the same time, the United States cautioned against a power vacuum in the Gaza Strip, emphasizing that chaos must be avoided as Israeli government leaders debate a post-war administration for Gaza.

Netanyahu stated on Monday that the intense phase of fighting in Rafah was nearing completion. Still, an agreement for the release of the remaining 120 hostages in Gaza had yet to be reached.

“We are advancing to the end of the stage of eliminating the Hamas terrorist army; we will continue striking its remnants,” Netanyahu said on Monday.

During a visit to Gaza on Tuesday, IDF Chief of Staff Lt. Gen. Herzi Halevi stated that the operation in Rafah would take time.

He reported that over 900 Hamas terrorists, including commanders, a battalion commander, and many company commanders, were killed in the Rafah Brigade.

Speaking to troops at a forward logistics base, Halevi emphasized the military’s ongoing efforts to destroy Hamas’s infrastructure in Rafah, including its tunnels. “It takes time, so this campaign is long because we do not want to leave Rafah with the infrastructure,” he explained.

Despite expressing skepticism about the end of the Gaza conflict, U.S. Secretary Blinken stressed in an interview at the Brookings Institute in Washington, “When this conflict ends, it cannot and must not end with a vacuum in Gaza.” He emphasized the critical importance of post-conflict plans, warning that without them, a vacuum is likely to be filled by “bad things before they get filled with good things.”

“It has to end in a way that makes sure that there are clear, coherent, achievable plans for Gaza’s governance, for its security, and of course, to start to help [Palestinians there] build their lives that have been so decimated and destroyed,” Blinken stated.

He outlined three unacceptable outcomes once the intense phase of the Gaza war ends: an Israeli occupation, Hamas continuing its leadership, or chaos, anarchy, and lawlessness, which are prevalent in many parts of Gaza today.

In recent weeks, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office has privately softened its opposition to involving individuals linked to the Palestinian Authority (PA) in managing Gaza after the war against Hamas, according to three officials familiar with the matter told the Times of Israel.

Previously, Netanyahu’s office had directed the security establishment to exclude the PA from postwar plans for Gaza, which two Israeli officials said hindered the development of realistic proposals for “the day after.”

Nevertheless, publicly, Netanyahu continues to oppose PA rule over Gaza, telling Channel 14 last week that he will not allow a Palestinian state in the territory and is “not prepared to give [Gaza] to the PA.”

However, according to the Times of Israel, Netanyahu may privately accept a revamped and reorganized PA that significantly addresses incitement and terrorism. A key factor in whether the Israeli government would accept this reorganized PA is the ending of welfare payments to families of Palestinian terror convicts based on the length of their prison sentences—a policy criticized as “pay-to-slay.”

Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.


Latest News from Worthy News

Declassified FBI Files Reveal Alleged Chinese Influence Campaign Using Sex, Donations and Political Interns
Declassified FBI Files Reveal Alleged Chinese Influence Campaign Using Sex, Donations and Political Interns

Newly declassified FBI records released by the White House detail what officials describe as a years-long Chinese intelligence effort to penetrate American political circles through sexual relationships, campaign donations, and strategically placed interns.

Board of Peace Weighs Major Shift in Hamas Disarmament Plan Amid Israeli Pushback
Board of Peace Weighs Major Shift in Hamas Disarmament Plan Amid Israeli Pushback

President Donald Trump’s Board of Peace is considering a significant overhaul of its Gaza disarmament framework after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu rejected a plan that would have linked Hamas weapons handovers to phased Israeli troop withdrawals, according to an exclusive report by The Times of Israel.

Iran Quietly Prepared for Wider War While Pursuing Talks With Washington
Iran Quietly Prepared for Wider War While Pursuing Talks With Washington

Iran’s rulers were quietly preparing for a broader and potentially prolonged Middle East war even as Tehran publicly engaged in diplomatic efforts with the United States, according to an exclusive investigation by The Wall Street Journal.

Trump Cuts US-South Korea Drills, Citing Good Ties With North Korea’s Leader Despite Christian Persecution (Worthy News In-Depth)
Trump Cuts US-South Korea Drills, Citing Good Ties With North Korea’s Leader Despite Christian Persecution (Worthy News In-Depth)

U.S. President Donald J. Trump announced Sunday that he had ordered the Pentagon to “substantially reduce” military exercises with key regional ally South Korea, citing his “very good relationship” with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and Seoul’s refusal to assist Washington in its confrontation with Iran.

Indonesia Quake Toll Rises To 53 As Christians Pray, Rescuers Search Rubble
Indonesia Quake Toll Rises To 53 As Christians Pray, Rescuers Search Rubble

Rescue teams in eastern Indonesia recovered six more bodies Sunday following a powerful magnitude 7.7 earthquake, raising the death toll to at least 53 as Christians prayed for victims and rescuers struggled to reach isolated communities.

Pentagon Schools Adding Christianity-Focused Western Civilization Course (Worthy News In-Depth)
Pentagon Schools Adding Christianity-Focused Western Civilization Course (Worthy News In-Depth)

The U.S. Department of Defense is introducing a course centered on Christianity and Western civilization this fall in the schools it operates for military families, while casting Islam as a threat to both.

New York Jews Reeling After Synagogue Attack, Hate Crime Charges
New York Jews Reeling After Synagogue Attack, Hate Crime Charges

New York’s Jewish community was reeling Sunday as a judge ordered a man held on bail after prosecutors said he admitted to disrupting Shabbat services at Manhattan’s Central Synagogue and assaulting two people there.