
By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent Worthy News
BEIRUT/GAZA/JERUSALEM (Worthy News) – At least 24 people were killed and 96 injured in massive Israeli air strikes on Gaza and Lebanon overnight, Hamas-linked officials said early Sunday.
The overnight strikes came ahead of the 1st anniversary of the deadliest attacks by Hamas against Israel since the Holocaust, also known as the Shoah, which killed some 1,200 people while about 250 persons were kidnapped.
The death toll given about the overnight strikes was challenging to verify, and it was unclear how many combatants were among those killed.
Authorities said a school and mosque have been hit, while there were heavy explosions in Beirut, Lebanon’s capital.
Israel says it is targeting “terrorists” of Gaza-based Hamas and Hezbollah in Lebanon and their allies. The groups are backed by Iran, and on Saturday, Israel’s military said it is committed to striking the Islamic Republic in response to more than 200 missiles fired by Tehran at Israel on Tuesday.
Witnesses say the attacks were one of the “heaviest air strikes” in Israel’s ongoing armed conflict with Hamas and Hezbollah.
The strikes on the mosque and the school near the Al-Aqsa Hospital in Deir al-Balah in the central Gaza Strip underscored that Israel is fighting at multiple fronts in what the government views as a battle for the existence of the Jewish nation and people.
MASSIVE BLASTS
Massive explosions also shook the southern suburbs of Beirut overnight Saturday into Sunday as Israel stepped up its bombardments of Hezbollah stronghold areas.
As clashes intensified, French President Emmanuel Macron was among leaders calling on the international community to halt arms deliveries to Israel destined for use in Gaza.
Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said the president’s comments brought “shame” on Macron as it would limit the Jewish nation’s ability to defend itself against those seeking its destruction.
Yet Macron’s office later said France was an “unfailing friend” to Israel, and Netanyahu’s words were “excessive.”
The French-Israeli standoff came as some 374,000 people fled from Lebanon to Syria in recent days, according to Lebanese authorities, as Israel continued strikes throughout the country, targeting suspected Hezbollah sites.
Strikes were reported in the southern suburbs of Beirut, as well as in north and east Lebanon.
More than 2,000 people were reportedly killed in Israeli strikes hitting Lebanon since Hamas’ attack on Israel on October 7 last year, with 1,000 of those victims coming in the last week, according to Lebanese authorities.
HUMAN SHIELDS
Israel says many of the victims are Hezbollah-linked fighters but that civilian casualties are unavoidable as the Islamic “terrorists are hiding among civilians using them as human shields.”
The Lebanese government estimates that around 1.2 million people have been displaced by clashes.
Israel suffered setbacks as well, with at least nine Israeli soldiers reportedly being killed in southern Lebanon since Israel launched a ground operation across its northern border on October 1.
In the Lebanese capital, the Israeli strikes continued and sparked flashes of red and white for nearly 30 minutes visible from several kilometers (miles) away, witnesses said.
Despite international calls for a ceasefire, Israel seemed determined to eliminate groups that sent thousands of rockets toward the nation, forcing tens of thousands of Israelis from their homes.
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
Latest News from Worthy News
Dutch Prime Minister Rob Jetten faced mounting pressure Sunday after two people died in a traffic accident linked to a farmers’ protest, while his government was drawn into a separate controversy over a prominent statesman’s comparison involving Israel and Nazi Germany.
Amid mounting military cooperation, North Korean leader Kim Jong Un reaffirmed deepening ties with Russia in a message to President Vladimir Putin as Pyongyang marked the anniversary of “independence from Japan’s colonial rule,” state media reported Sunday.
The Russia-Ukraine war rapidly escalated Sunday as more than 800 Ukrainian drones targeted Russia in Ukraine’s largest such attack this year, killing at least seven people, officials said.
Firefighters backed by Dutch military helicopters battled Belgium’s largest wildfire on record Sunday as flames swept through nearly 3,000 hectares (7,400 acres) of nature reserve and threatened areas near the German border, while deadly blazes raged elsewhere in Europe, including Greece.
Iran-backed Hezbollah threatened to retaliate after Israel said Saturday it had killed a commander of the group in an attack that killed at least 11 people.
Kevin Rideout, an American missionary pilot kidnapped by suspected Islamist militants in Niger’s capital, Niamey, in October last year, has been released and is in U.S. custody, U.S. President Donald J. Trump confirmed Friday.
Concerns are mounting over increasing violence against Christians and churches across Europe after dozens of churches, religious symbols and worshipers were targeted in July, including cases involving bodily waste, arson and the stabbing of a woman praying in an Irish Catholic church.






