Lebanon Hopes Ceasefire ‘Within Hours’ As Hezbollah ‘Agrees To Withdraw’

By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent Worthy News

BEIRUT/JERUSALEM (Worthy News) – Lebanon’s caretaker Prime Minister Najib Mikati hopes for a ceasefire with Israel in the “coming hours” after Hezbollah “agreed to withdraw beyond the Litani River,” several sources say.

Lebanon-based Hezbollah has also agreed to no longer link its military operations to Israel’s war against Hezbollah ally Hamas in Gaza, according to Israeli and Lebanese sources.

With Israel killing most seniors and destroying essential communication tools, including beepers and walkie-talkies, Makati suggested Hezbollah was facing disarray.

He reportedly said that since September 21, “there has been no communication with Hezbollah” and that his “main communication has been with Lebanese Parliament Speaker Nabih Mustafa Berri,” leader of Amal, Hezbollah’s primary rival in the Lebanese Shia community.

Israeli officials remained skeptical, but the U.S. seemed to push for a preelection deal that it hopes could boost Vice President Kamala Harris’s chances of becoming president.

Lebanese media said a three-day ceasefire draft is being discussed in Lebanon, and American officials are expected to present it to Israel in the coming days.

Amos Hochstein, U.S. President Joe Biden’s envoy to the region, was to visit Israel Thursday after reportedly “sensing a change” in Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s position on conditions for a ceasefire.

UN RESOLUTION

Under the deal, drafted by Hochstein, United Nations Resolution 1701 will be recognized by Hezbollah, meaning that the Iran-backed group and its allies in Lebanon will not take action against Israel, Israeli media reported.

The Lebanese Armed Forces would be the only armed body in southern Lebanon other than the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon, or UNIFIL, according to released information about the proposed ceasefire deal.

If signed, Israel would not carry out offensive operations in Lebanon, including those against military and government targets, and would withdraw from southern Lebanon within a week, Worthy News learned.

The draft added that the Lebanese government will supervise any weapons sales or production in Lebanon.

However, Israeli sources cautioned that the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) won’t withdraw from southern Lebanon unless there is a practical and realistic ceasefire in place.

“I do not see the army exiting until there is a permanent ceasefire and an effective solution” that would prevent Hezbollah from regrouping along Israel’s border, a source explained.

The source spoke to the Jerusalem Post newspaper amid reports that the IDF “was close to completing its military objectives” in southern Lebanon and advancing toward a ceasefire deal.

Many Christians have been praying for peace in the region, including in Indonesia, the largest Muslim nation, Worthy News established.

Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.


Latest News from Worthy News

Hezbollah Threatens Retaliation After Israeli Strikes Kill 11 In Lebanon
Hezbollah Threatens Retaliation After Israeli Strikes Kill 11 In Lebanon

Iran-backed Hezbollah threatened to retaliate after Israel said Saturday it had killed a commander of the group in an attack that killed at least 11 people.

US Christian Missionary Freed After Nine Months In Islamist Militant Captivity
US Christian Missionary Freed After Nine Months In Islamist Militant Captivity

Kevin Rideout, an American missionary pilot kidnapped by suspected Islamist militants in Niger’s capital, Niamey, in October last year, has been released and is in U.S. custody, U.S. President Donald J. Trump confirmed Friday.

Violence Against Christians, Churches Rising Across Europe, Monitor Says (Worthy News In-Depth)
Violence Against Christians, Churches Rising Across Europe, Monitor Says (Worthy News In-Depth)

Concerns are mounting over increasing violence against Christians and churches across Europe after dozens of churches, religious symbols and worshipers were targeted in July, including cases involving bodily waste, arson and the stabbing of a woman praying in an Irish Catholic church.

Hungary’s Fidesz Loses Court Challenge As Orbán-Era Spending Faces Criminal Complaint
Hungary’s Fidesz Loses Court Challenge As Orbán-Era Spending Faces Criminal Complaint

Hungary’s former ruling Fidesz party suffered a legal setback Friday after the Constitutional Court rejected its challenge to the dismantling of controversial foundations holding vast amounts of state assets, while separate scrutiny intensified over billions of forints in public money spent on former Prime Minister Viktor Orbán’s social-media operation.

Global Debt Nears $353 Trillion — Could a Financial Crisis Accelerate a New Monetary System?
Global Debt Nears $353 Trillion — Could a Financial Crisis Accelerate a New Monetary System?

The United States is rapidly approaching another historic fiscal milestone, with the national debt now nearing $40 trillion as Washington continues running massive annual deficits and interest costs consume a growing share of federal spending.

Kushner Meets Hamas Leadership in Egypt as U.S. Pushes Gaza Disarmament Plan
Kushner Meets Hamas Leadership in Egypt as U.S. Pushes Gaza Disarmament Plan

U.S. envoy Jared Kushner met senior Hamas leaders in Egypt on Sunday as the Trump administration intensified efforts to move Gaza toward disarmament and postwar governance, even as Israel continued targeted strikes against terrorist operatives inside the Gaza Strip.

Third Red Heifer Born in Israel as Temple Preparations Advance
Third Red Heifer Born in Israel as Temple Preparations Advance

A third red heifer has been born in Israel this season, giving rabbis three candidates now being examined as part of renewed efforts connected to the biblical purification rites required for Temple service.