Israel’s War Spreading To EU After Hezbollah Threats (Worthy News Focus)

By Stefan J. Bos, ChiefInternational Correspondent Worthy News

NICOSIA/BEIRUT/JERUSALEM (Worthy News) – The war in Gaza and related cross-border fighting appeared to spread to the European Union on Friday after the Lebanon-based Hezbollah group warned it could target the island of Cyprus, an EU member state, and Israel.

And closer to home, smoke from missile intercepts over northern Israel and fires from air strikes in southern Lebanon were outward signs of a fear that the Gaza war was also expanding into a wider regional conflict.

The tensions followed Hezbollah Secretary-General Hassan Nasrallah threats during an event commemorating his senior commander Taleb Abdallah, who was killed by Israel’s military last week.

“Without a doubt, our loss is great,” Nasrallah stressed tearfully while eulogizing Abdallah before launching threats and boasts against Israel and Cyprus.

“Israel knows that there will be no place in Israel that our missiles and drones won’t hit, and it won’t be random,” he added while speaking about the military of his Iran-backed Hezbollah group.

“Israel knows that we have a real target bank and that we can reach all targets in a way that will shake the foundations of the Zionist entity,” he said, using his usual epithet to refer to Israel.

He said Hezbollah believes that only a ceasefire in the war in Gaza would change the situation. Israel says a lasting truce is only possible if all hostages are released and Hamas is destroyed.

WORST ATROCITIES

Iran-backed Hezbollah supports Hamas, which on October 7 carried out the worst recorded atrocities against Jews since the Holocaust, killing some 1,200 people and abducting over 250 others in Israel.

That prompted a war in which the Hamas-run Health Ministry claims more than 37,000 Palestinians died. Israel has given slightly lower figures and suggests about half of those killed were Hamas-related fighters.

Nasrallah suggested that Hezbollah would target Israeli oil rigs in the Mediterranean and even Cyprus if the war in Gaza continues.

“Opening Cypriot airports and bases to the Israeli enemy to target Lebanon would mean that the Cypriot government is part of the war, and the resistance will deal with it as part of the war,” he warned.

Cyprus, which is not part of the NATO military alliance, has conducted joint military exercises with Israel in the past. However, a war with Hezbollah would potentially overwhelm the EU, which is already facing a massive armed conflict in Ukraine.

Yet, reacting to Nasrallah’s threats, Cypriot President Nikos Christodoulides stressed that his small island country “is in no way involved” in military operations in the region.

He said Nasrallah’s comments “don’t in any way reflect what’s being attempted, which is to present a picture that Cyprus is involved in military operations.”

ISRAELI MILITARY

Nasrallah also called the current war the “greatest campaign the Islamic nation has fought since 1948,” promising it would change the face of the region and its future.

On the Israeli side of the border, Defense Minister Yoav Gallant and Israeli Defense Forces Chief (IDF) Staff Luitenant-General Herzi Halevi visited troops.

Halevi made clear that the IDF was not content just waging a defense battle against the Hezbollah terrorists.

“We have many forces in the IDF focused on attacking Hezbollah. Even today, we have already killed several of their operatives,” he told reporters.

He noted that Hezbollah “released a video showcasing a capability we are familiar with. And we are preparing and building solutions to counter such capabilities and others you will encounter when needed,” Halevi said, referring to drone video footage Hezbollah published Wednesday.

“We, of course, possess powerful capabilities, of which the enemy knows only a fraction and will encounter them at the right time,” Halevi stated.

Continuing recent threats that Israel is getting closer to declaring war in the north, Gallant said, “We have an obligation to change the situation in the north and return the citizens safely to their homes, even if we have to fight on a different scale.”

Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.


Latest News from Worthy News

Declassified FBI Files Reveal Alleged Chinese Influence Campaign Using Sex, Donations and Political Interns
Declassified FBI Files Reveal Alleged Chinese Influence Campaign Using Sex, Donations and Political Interns

Newly declassified FBI records released by the White House detail what officials describe as a years-long Chinese intelligence effort to penetrate American political circles through sexual relationships, campaign donations, and strategically placed interns.

Board of Peace Weighs Major Shift in Hamas Disarmament Plan Amid Israeli Pushback
Board of Peace Weighs Major Shift in Hamas Disarmament Plan Amid Israeli Pushback

President Donald Trump’s Board of Peace is considering a significant overhaul of its Gaza disarmament framework after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu rejected a plan that would have linked Hamas weapons handovers to phased Israeli troop withdrawals, according to an exclusive report by The Times of Israel.

Iran Quietly Prepared for Wider War While Pursuing Talks With Washington
Iran Quietly Prepared for Wider War While Pursuing Talks With Washington

Iran’s rulers were quietly preparing for a broader and potentially prolonged Middle East war even as Tehran publicly engaged in diplomatic efforts with the United States, according to an exclusive investigation by The Wall Street Journal.

Trump Cuts US-South Korea Drills, Citing Good Ties With North Korea’s Leader Despite Christian Persecution (Worthy News In-Depth)
Trump Cuts US-South Korea Drills, Citing Good Ties With North Korea’s Leader Despite Christian Persecution (Worthy News In-Depth)

U.S. President Donald J. Trump announced Sunday that he had ordered the Pentagon to “substantially reduce” military exercises with key regional ally South Korea, citing his “very good relationship” with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and Seoul’s refusal to assist Washington in its confrontation with Iran.

Indonesia Quake Toll Rises To 53 As Christians Pray, Rescuers Search Rubble
Indonesia Quake Toll Rises To 53 As Christians Pray, Rescuers Search Rubble

Rescue teams in eastern Indonesia recovered six more bodies Sunday following a powerful magnitude 7.7 earthquake, raising the death toll to at least 53 as Christians prayed for victims and rescuers struggled to reach isolated communities.

Pentagon Schools Adding Christianity-Focused Western Civilization Course (Worthy News In-Depth)
Pentagon Schools Adding Christianity-Focused Western Civilization Course (Worthy News In-Depth)

The U.S. Department of Defense is introducing a course centered on Christianity and Western civilization this fall in the schools it operates for military families, while casting Islam as a threat to both.

New York Jews Reeling After Synagogue Attack, Hate Crime Charges
New York Jews Reeling After Synagogue Attack, Hate Crime Charges

New York’s Jewish community was reeling Sunday as a judge ordered a man held on bail after prosecutors said he admitted to disrupting Shabbat services at Manhattan’s Central Synagogue and assaulting two people there.