
by Karen Faulkner, Worthy News Correspondent
(Worthy News) – Israeli negotiators believe there is now “close to zero” chance of agreeing a phased hostage-ceasefire agreement with Hamas that would see the return of 101 captives who were kidnapped to Gaza by Hamas during the October 7 attack on Israel, the Times of Israel (TOI) reports. Similarly, having worked to secure a new hostage-ceasefire deal between Israel and Hamas, the US Biden administration is understood to be “sad, upset and frustrated” at the stalling of talks.
Citing unnamed official sources, Israel’s Channel 12 TV reported Sunday that Israeli negotiators had, until recently, believed a deal could be brokered with Hamas, TOI reports. However, following Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s insistence last week that the IDF must retain control of the Philadelphi Corridor along the Gaza-Egypt border – a position he had not taken in a proposed deal he had approved in May – the prospect of an agreement has been “buried,” Channel 12 said in its report.
Israel’s far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich reportedly compounded the pessimism on Saturday night when he announced that, in addition to opposing Israel’s withdrawal from the Philadelphi Corridor, he opposes an IDF withdrawal from the Netzarim Corridor as well as the release of Palestinians who are serving prison sentences in Israel for murder, TOI reports. Smotrich has unusual war-time power as Netanyahu’s slim-majority right-wing governing coalition would likely collapse if the finance minister pulled his Religious Zionist party’s support for it.
“It appears that the current proposal will not come to fruition at this time. There is no prospect of a phased deal,” a negotiator told Channel 12. “Keep acting to get the public behind bringing about an end to the war.”
Meanwhile, TOI notes, the Axios news outlet has reported that the White House experienced “significant pessimism” at the prospect of a new hostage-ceasefire deal after Hamas demanded the release of 100 more Palestinians serving life terms for murder than had been agreed.
“People at the White House are sad, upset and frustrated” over the state of the talks, a US official told Axios. “We are still working, but we are not about to present anything imminently. We are in a tough spot,” the official said.
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
Latest News from Worthy News
Iran’s rulers were quietly preparing for a broader and potentially prolonged Middle East war even as Tehran publicly engaged in diplomatic efforts with the United States, according to an exclusive investigation by The Wall Street Journal.
U.S. President Donald J. Trump announced Sunday that he had ordered the Pentagon to “substantially reduce” military exercises with key regional ally South Korea, citing his “very good relationship” with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and Seoul’s refusal to assist Washington in its confrontation with Iran.
Rescue teams in eastern Indonesia recovered six more bodies Sunday following a powerful magnitude 7.7 earthquake, raising the death toll to at least 53 as Christians prayed for victims and rescuers struggled to reach isolated communities.
The U.S. Department of Defense is introducing a course centered on Christianity and Western civilization this fall in the schools it operates for military families, while casting Islam as a threat to both.
New York’s Jewish community was reeling Sunday as a judge ordered a man held on bail after prosecutors said he admitted to disrupting Shabbat services at Manhattan’s Central Synagogue and assaulting two people there.
Dutch Prime Minister Rob Jetten faced mounting pressure Sunday after two people died in a traffic accident linked to a farmers’ protest, while his government was drawn into a separate controversy over a prominent statesman’s comparison involving Israel and Nazi Germany.
Amid mounting military cooperation, North Korean leader Kim Jong Un reaffirmed deepening ties with Russia in a message to President Vladimir Putin as Pyongyang marked the anniversary of “independence from Japan’s colonial rule,” state media reported Sunday.






