
By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent Worthy News
LONDON/JERUSALEM (Worthy News) – Israel and its allies observed Sunday six months since the “Black Sabbath” on October 7, when Hamas fighters killed some 1,200 people and abducted about 253 persons.
The day began hours after dissatisfaction with the war boiled over late Saturday, with police in Tel Aviv forcibly dispersing tens of thousands of anti-government protesters.
They gathered in the Israeli city to demand the release of hostages seized by Hamas six months ago.
In an open letter early Sunday, British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak made clear he understood the pain of Israelis.
Recalling the October 7 events, he spoke of “the most appalling attack in Israel’s history, the worst loss of Jewish life since the Second World War. Six months later, Israeli wounds are still unhealed. Families still mourn, and hostages are still held by Hamas.”
Sunak stressed, “We continue to stand by Israel’s right to defeat the threat from Hamas terrorists and defend their security.”
However, he also mentioned the humanitarian crisis in Gaza and said, “The whole of the UK is shocked by the bloodshed and appalled by the killing of brave British heroes who were bringing food to those in need.”
DEADLY DRONES
Sunak referred to Monday’s Israeli drone strikes that killed seven aid workers of the World Central Kitchen group in Gaza. Israel fired several officers, saying the deadly attack had been a tragic mistake.
Sunak suggested that the attack underscored that after “six months of war in Gaza, the toll on civilians continues to grow.”
He said there was “hunger, desperation, loss of life on an awful scale.”
The Hamas-run health ministry claims more than 33,000 Palestinians were killed, but those figures have been difficult to verify independently.
Yet, “This terrible conflict must end. The hostages must be released. The aid – which we have been straining every sinew to deliver by land, air, and sea – must be flooded in,” the prime minister argued.
He spoke as mediated talks continued to reach a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas.
“The children of Gaza need a humanitarian pause immediately, leading to a long-term sustainable ceasefire. That is the fastest way to get hostages out and aid in, and to stop the fighting and loss of life,” Sunak wrote on social media platform X, formerly known as Twitter.
CEASEFIRE CALLS
He said such a ceasefire would be “For the good of both Israelis and Palestinians – who all deserve to live in peace, dignity and security – that is what we will keep working to achieve.”
His message was delivered on the day that Israeli opinion polls suggested that the vast majority of Israelis are unhappy with the results achieved so far in the war against Hamas.
Less than a third of Israelis said they are satisfied with the results achieved so far in the war, half a year after Hamas’s attack on October 7, according to the poll published by Israeli daily Maariv.
More than half (62 percent) of respondents said they are dissatisfied with the results so far, and 9 percent said they don’t know, the poll showed.
The frustration expressed in polls was certainly shared by demonstrators expressing anger Saturday that more than 100 hostages remain in Hamas custody in Gaza amid concerns about reports of sexual abuse and killings.
Their rally came as the Israeli military said it had recovered the body of a hostage from southern Gaza.
With tensions mounting, Hamas sent a delegation to Cairo for talks on a ceasefire in Gaza and a hostage-for-prisoner swap deal between the Islamic group and Israel.
TOUGH DEMANDS
Yet it warned it would demand “a permanent ceasefire, the withdrawal of Israeli forces from Gaza, and the return of displaced individuals to their places of residence.”
It also seeks a “serious prisoner swap deal” involving the release of 1,000 Palestinian “security prisoners,” including some 100 serving lifetime jail sentences for murdering Israelis.
In exchange, Hamas would release dozens of female, elderly, and wounded hostages.
Israel agreed only to a brief ceasefire and rejected Hamas’ request to allow displaced civilians to return home.
The Israeli government has pledged the destruction of Hamas, which it views as a terrorist group seeking the annihilation of the Jewish nation and the Jewish people.
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
Latest News from Worthy News
Newly declassified FBI records released by the White House detail what officials describe as a years-long Chinese intelligence effort to penetrate American political circles through sexual relationships, campaign donations, and strategically placed interns.
President Donald Trump’s Board of Peace is considering a significant overhaul of its Gaza disarmament framework after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu rejected a plan that would have linked Hamas weapons handovers to phased Israeli troop withdrawals, according to an exclusive report by The Times of Israel.
Iran’s rulers were quietly preparing for a broader and potentially prolonged Middle East war even as Tehran publicly engaged in diplomatic efforts with the United States, according to an exclusive investigation by The Wall Street Journal.
U.S. President Donald J. Trump announced Sunday that he had ordered the Pentagon to “substantially reduce” military exercises with key regional ally South Korea, citing his “very good relationship” with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and Seoul’s refusal to assist Washington in its confrontation with Iran.
Rescue teams in eastern Indonesia recovered six more bodies Sunday following a powerful magnitude 7.7 earthquake, raising the death toll to at least 53 as Christians prayed for victims and rescuers struggled to reach isolated communities.
The U.S. Department of Defense is introducing a course centered on Christianity and Western civilization this fall in the schools it operates for military families, while casting Islam as a threat to both.
New York’s Jewish community was reeling Sunday as a judge ordered a man held on bail after prosecutors said he admitted to disrupting Shabbat services at Manhattan’s Central Synagogue and assaulting two people there.






