Israel Warns ‘Gaza Mission Not Over’ After Killing Hamas Leader

By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent Worthy News

JERUSALEM (Worthy News) – Israel’s military said Saturday that its mission in Gaza is not over despite killing Hamas leader Yahya Sinwar in an operation that was planned for a year.

The comments came as Hamas-run authorities claimed scores of people, including children, were killed and many injured in Israeli strikes hitting a “refugee camp” in northern Gaza, though Israel maintained it targeted Hamas.

“Killing Sinwar is the result of a year of operational and intelligence efforts to bring him and other Hamas leaders to justice,” explained Rear-Admiral Daniel Hagari, the spokesperson of Israel Defense Forces (IDF).

He played down earlier reports that Sinwar was killed in a “surprise encounter” with Israeli forces. “Sinwar has been eliminated, but our mission is not over,” he warned.

The remarks added to pressure on U.S. Vice President Kamala Harris, the Democratic presidential nominee, as she had warned Israel not to enter Rafah, the southern Gaza enclave where Hamas had holed up among the civilian population.

She said in an interview that the U.S. would not rule out “consequences” if the Israeli military moved forward with a gathering invasion. However, on Thursday, she praised Israel’s success in killing Hamas leader Yahya Sinwar as he hid out in that very city.

Hagari said declassified footage, reviewed by Worthy News, shows “Sinwar’s hours” before his Hamas fighters committed the worst atrocities against Jews since the Holocaust, also known as the Shoah, on October 7, last year.

SINWAR TV

Sinwar was “taking down his TV into his tunnel, hiding underneath his civilians, and preparing to watch his terrorists murder, kidnap, and rape.”

Some 1,200 people, including babies and raped women, were killed, and 251 people were abducted by Hamas, which Israel has designated as an Iran-backed terrorist organization.

Following Sinwar’s death, several social media showed footage of “hundreds” of Hamas fighters allegedly surrendering to Israeli forces in the Jabalia area.

Worthy News could not confirm the footage independently, and the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) did not include such a video in their recent posts on social platform X.

However, at least 33 people were killed and 85 wounded in Israeli strikes that hit several houses since Friday in Jabalia, the largest of Gaza’s eight historic “refugee camps,”Hamas-run authorities added.

The Hamas-run Gaza government media office said the death toll from the strikes could rise as some people were believed to be trapped beneath the rubble.

The Palestinian official news agency WAFA claimed children were among those killed. Yet the IDF denied deliberately targeting innocent residents, while Hamas-run authorities declined to differentiate between combatants and civilians.

WRAPPED BODIES

Bodies wrapped in white shrouds reportedly laid out in the courtyard of al-Awda Hospital.

Hamas-liked authorities say Israeli forces have besieged the densely-populated Jabalia refugee camp for weeks.

The director of al-Awda Hospital said it had experienced an overwhelming influx of casualties, leaving hospital wards “completely full” with many of the injured “receiving treatment on the floor.”

Nearby in Beit Lahia, the Indonesian Hospital came under “heavy gunfire” from Israeli forces on Saturday, the Hamas-run health ministry said.

The ministry said more than 40 patients, as well as medical staff, were inside the hospital, adding that two people had died due to an “outage of electricity” and lack of “medical supplies”.

The IDF said their troops were operating near the hospital, and there “was no intentional fire directed at it.

Critics say Israel is trapping 400,000 people inside the Jabalia camp with little food or water for more than two weeks.

URGING CIVILIANS

Israel has urged civilians to leave, enabling its forces to target the last remnants of Hamas.

An Israeli minister, Amichai Chikli, “blockaded” parts of northern Gaza, which include Jabalia, to force Hamas to surrender.

“We allowed the civilian population to escape into the safe zone, and we prevented supplies to enter the blockade region,” he recalled. The minister stressed this was “legal according to the international law.”

There was also fighting reported in Lebanon between Israeli troops and Hezbollah fighters.

And, Israel prepared to attack Iran after an “assissination attempt” on Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu officials said.

Saturday’s incident added to concerns that the region will be engulfed by war and strife as hope for peace faded away.

Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.


Latest News from Worthy News

Belgium Struggles With Largest Wildfire Amid Deadly Blazes In Europe
Belgium Struggles With Largest Wildfire Amid Deadly Blazes In Europe

Firefighters backed by Dutch military helicopters battled Belgium’s largest wildfire on record Sunday as flames swept through nearly 3,000 hectares (7,400 acres) of nature reserve and threatened areas near the German border, while deadly blazes raged elsewhere in Europe, including Greece.

Hezbollah Threatens Retaliation After Israeli Strikes Kill 11 In Lebanon
Hezbollah Threatens Retaliation After Israeli Strikes Kill 11 In Lebanon

Iran-backed Hezbollah threatened to retaliate after Israel said Saturday it had killed a commander of the group in an attack that killed at least 11 people.

US Christian Missionary Freed After Nine Months In Islamist Militant Captivity
US Christian Missionary Freed After Nine Months In Islamist Militant Captivity

Kevin Rideout, an American missionary pilot kidnapped by suspected Islamist militants in Niger’s capital, Niamey, in October last year, has been released and is in U.S. custody, U.S. President Donald J. Trump confirmed Friday.

Violence Against Christians, Churches Rising Across Europe, Monitor Says (Worthy News In-Depth)
Violence Against Christians, Churches Rising Across Europe, Monitor Says (Worthy News In-Depth)

Concerns are mounting over increasing violence against Christians and churches across Europe after dozens of churches, religious symbols and worshipers were targeted in July, including cases involving bodily waste, arson and the stabbing of a woman praying in an Irish Catholic church.

Hungary’s Fidesz Loses Court Challenge As Orbán-Era Spending Faces Criminal Complaint
Hungary’s Fidesz Loses Court Challenge As Orbán-Era Spending Faces Criminal Complaint

Hungary’s former ruling Fidesz party suffered a legal setback Friday after the Constitutional Court rejected its challenge to the dismantling of controversial foundations holding vast amounts of state assets, while separate scrutiny intensified over billions of forints in public money spent on former Prime Minister Viktor Orbán’s social-media operation.

Global Debt Nears $353 Trillion — Could a Financial Crisis Accelerate a New Monetary System?
Global Debt Nears $353 Trillion — Could a Financial Crisis Accelerate a New Monetary System?

The United States is rapidly approaching another historic fiscal milestone, with the national debt now nearing $40 trillion as Washington continues running massive annual deficits and interest costs consume a growing share of federal spending.

Kushner Meets Hamas Leadership in Egypt as U.S. Pushes Gaza Disarmament Plan
Kushner Meets Hamas Leadership in Egypt as U.S. Pushes Gaza Disarmament Plan

U.S. envoy Jared Kushner met senior Hamas leaders in Egypt on Sunday as the Trump administration intensified efforts to move Gaza toward disarmament and postwar governance, even as Israel continued targeted strikes against terrorist operatives inside the Gaza Strip.