Israel: ‘UN Peacekeepers Support Hezbollah’

By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent Worthy News

BEIRUT/JERUSALEM (Worthy News) – Israel on Monday accused the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL) of allowing Hezbollah to set up military bases and store its weapons on the border with the Jewish nation.

Video published by the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) and seen by Worthy News suggested that weapons of the Iran-backed group were placed near at least one base of UNIFIL, the U.N. peacekeeping force.

The IDF said they saw in southern Lebanon a Hezbollah outpost about a mere 300 yards (275 meters) from the border with Israel.

Hezbollah has fired around 25 rockets and missiles in the last month from sites located near UNIFIL sites, according to Israeli military officials.

The IDF accused the armed group of “exploiting their proximity to UN forces.”

Their comments came as Israel came under international pressure after the UNIFIL in southern Lebanon said Israeli tanks forcibly entered the gates of one position Sunday and destroyed the main gate.

They allegedly also fired smoke rounds near peacekeepers, causing 15 UNIFIL troops to suffer skin irritations and gastrointestinal reactions, officials said.

VIOLATING INTERNATIONAL LAW

The UNIFIL called the incident a “further flagrant violation of international law.”

However, the IDF said it had infringed on a UNIFIL position to evacuate Israeli soldiers who had been wounded by an anti-tank missile.

It said two soldiers had been “seriously injured” in the attack, with others suffering lesser degrees of injury. “For the sake of evacuating the wounded, two tanks drove backward, in a place where they could not advance otherwise in light of the threat of shooting, a few meters towards the UNIFIL position,” the IDF explained.

It added that during the incident, a smoke screen was fired to aid the evacuation – and that it had “maintained continuous contact” with UNIFIL, stressing there was “no threat to the UNIFIL force from IDF activities.”

At least some five peacekeepers have been wounded in attacks that struck their positions in recent days, most of them blamed on Israeli forces, observers said. Among them, two Indonesian soldiers were injured Thursday falling from an observation tower after an Israeli tank fired towards it, the U.N. said.

Separately two Lebanese soldiers were killed and wounded, and three other troops were injured on Friday when an Israeli airstrike hit a building near a military checkpoint in Kafra, Bint Jbeil province in southern Lebanon, the country’s military said.

The Israeli military claimed, however, that it targeted Hezbollah positions in the area when reports emerged that it struck several Lebanese army soldiers.

INVESTIGATING INCIDENT

The IDF investigated the incident but said they remained “unaware of any Lebanese army facilities found in the strike area.”

These incidents have sparked anger among several of Israel’s allies, including France, Italy, Spain, and Britain, which said it was “appalled.” However, Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu stressed that European leaders should direct their criticism towards Hezbollah, not Israel.

Israeli forces have repeatedly fired on peacekeepers since the start of its ground operation in Lebanon two weeks ago, according to U.N. sources.

However, Israel has urged the peacekeeping force to withdraw from areas of southern Lebanon where fighting was taking place after it began a ground incursion on September 30 targeting the armed group Hezbollah.

Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu told UNIFIL to “immediately” get its troops “out of harm’s way” in a video statement, claiming that their presence in the area made them “hostages of Hezbollah.”

U.N. Secretary-General António Guterres warned any attacks on peacekeepers “may constitute a war crime,” adding that “UNIFIL personnel and its premises must never be targeted.”

Nearly 10,000 peacekeepers from 50 countries are stationed in Lebanon, alongside around 800 civilian staff. Since 1978, they have patrolled the area between the Litani River and the U.N.-recognized boundary between Lebanon and Israel, known as the “Blue Line.”

Israel has asked UNIFIL to withdraw north by 5 kilometers (3 miles) to enable it to destroy Hezbollah, one of Iran’s proxies that it says threatens its existence.

Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.


Latest News from Worthy News

Belgium Struggles With Largest Wildfire Amid Deadly Blazes In Europe
Belgium Struggles With Largest Wildfire Amid Deadly Blazes In Europe

Firefighters backed by Dutch military helicopters battled Belgium’s largest wildfire on record Sunday as flames swept through nearly 3,000 hectares (7,400 acres) of nature reserve and threatened areas near the German border, while deadly blazes raged elsewhere in Europe, including Greece.

Hezbollah Threatens Retaliation After Israeli Strikes Kill 11 In Lebanon
Hezbollah Threatens Retaliation After Israeli Strikes Kill 11 In Lebanon

Iran-backed Hezbollah threatened to retaliate after Israel said Saturday it had killed a commander of the group in an attack that killed at least 11 people.

US Christian Missionary Freed After Nine Months In Islamist Militant Captivity
US Christian Missionary Freed After Nine Months In Islamist Militant Captivity

Kevin Rideout, an American missionary pilot kidnapped by suspected Islamist militants in Niger’s capital, Niamey, in October last year, has been released and is in U.S. custody, U.S. President Donald J. Trump confirmed Friday.

Violence Against Christians, Churches Rising Across Europe, Monitor Says (Worthy News In-Depth)
Violence Against Christians, Churches Rising Across Europe, Monitor Says (Worthy News In-Depth)

Concerns are mounting over increasing violence against Christians and churches across Europe after dozens of churches, religious symbols and worshipers were targeted in July, including cases involving bodily waste, arson and the stabbing of a woman praying in an Irish Catholic church.

Hungary’s Fidesz Loses Court Challenge As Orbán-Era Spending Faces Criminal Complaint
Hungary’s Fidesz Loses Court Challenge As Orbán-Era Spending Faces Criminal Complaint

Hungary’s former ruling Fidesz party suffered a legal setback Friday after the Constitutional Court rejected its challenge to the dismantling of controversial foundations holding vast amounts of state assets, while separate scrutiny intensified over billions of forints in public money spent on former Prime Minister Viktor Orbán’s social-media operation.

Global Debt Nears $353 Trillion — Could a Financial Crisis Accelerate a New Monetary System?
Global Debt Nears $353 Trillion — Could a Financial Crisis Accelerate a New Monetary System?

The United States is rapidly approaching another historic fiscal milestone, with the national debt now nearing $40 trillion as Washington continues running massive annual deficits and interest costs consume a growing share of federal spending.

Kushner Meets Hamas Leadership in Egypt as U.S. Pushes Gaza Disarmament Plan
Kushner Meets Hamas Leadership in Egypt as U.S. Pushes Gaza Disarmament Plan

U.S. envoy Jared Kushner met senior Hamas leaders in Egypt on Sunday as the Trump administration intensified efforts to move Gaza toward disarmament and postwar governance, even as Israel continued targeted strikes against terrorist operatives inside the Gaza Strip.