Israel Tanks Roll Into Gaza As Countries Rush To Recognize Palestine (Worthy News In-Depth)

By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent Worthy News

JERUSALEM/RAFAH (Worthy News) – Israeli tanks rolled into the middle of Gaza’s southern city of Rafah late Tuesday following deadly clashes just hours after three European nations formally recognized a Palestinian state.

Overnight, Israeli forces again attacked the Tel al-Sultan area, where Gaza’s Hamas-run health ministry said at least 45 people were killed on Sunday by an airstrike and massive fire in an area crowded with refugee tents.

Twenty-one people were killed when Israeli forces “shelled a tent camp” in a designated “safe zone” west of Rafah city, killing at least 21 people, most of them women and girls, Hamas-linked authorities in Gaza said.

With tanks reaching the area, at least one bomb reportedly landed about 300 meters (1000 feet) from the site of the weekend strike. But Israel’s military later said in a statement that it denied carrying out the strike.

Israeli authorities have accused Hamas fighters of hiding behind their families and other Palestinians instead of identifying themselves, increasing the death toll among innocent Palestinian civilians.

Israel’s government said the invasion of Rafah, anxiously watched by residents, was part of its efforts to destroy the last remnants of “Hamas terrorists” who carried out the worst atrocities against Jews since World War Two.

The move came as three European nations, Ireland, Spain, and Norway, formally recognized a Palestinian state following their announcement last week. Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez described the establishment of a Palestinian state as the “only route to peace” in the Middle East.

RECALLING AMBASSADORS

In response, Israel recalled its ambassadors, saying the move “rewarded for terrorism,” referring to the October 7 Hamas attacks in which some 1,200 people were killed and hundreds kidnapped.

And, in a sign of divisions over the issue, Denmark’s parliament on Tuesday voted down a bill to recognize a Palestinian state after the Danish foreign minister said the “necessary preconditions” for an independent country were lacking.

Yet Israel’s decision to further move into Gaza, which would be part of a future Palestinian state, caused global outrage about the Israeli push into Rafah, including an order from the United Nation’s top court to stop the offensive.

Separately, the United States, Israel’s closest ally, said it is “not turning a blind eye” to the plight of Palestinian civilians but insisted that Israeli actions in Rafah do not yet cross any US red lines.

National Security Council spokesperson John Kirby said the U.S. would monitor Israel’s probe into Sunday’s strike in which Hamas-linked authorities said dozens of innocent Palestinians were killed.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu described Sunday’s strike as a “tragic mistake” but vowed to continue the operation to eliminate Hamas.

The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) said its airstrike had not caused the fire in tents used by people displaced by the war.

QUESTIONS RAISED

Rear Admiral Daniel Hagari, the IDF spokesman, said jets used small bombs to kill two Hamas commanders inside buildings about 180 meters (590 feet) from tents where the fire broke out.

“Our munition alone could not have ignited a fire of this size,” he stressed.

Hagari added that the military was investigating whether secondary explosions had caused the “unexpected and unintended” fire at an ammunition warehouse near tents.

Hamas has been hiding weapons near civilians who they use as human shields, Israeli and other sources say.

Yet, with clashes continuing, residents were fleeing Rafah in Hamas-approved footage after witnesses described the horrors of seeing children and women among the many dead and injured.

The Hamas-run health ministry said more than 36,000 Palestinians have died since Israel launched its military operations following the October 7 Hamas attacks in southern Israel.

Netanyahu has given slightly lower numbers but said nearly half of the victims were Hamas fighters.

HOSTAGES RELEASE

He said a ceasefire can only happen if Hamas releases all 125 hostages, including the human remains of dozens who are believed to have died while in custody.

Hamas offered to release hostages in exchange for Israel freeing Palestinian prisoners and halting its military.

While open for a temporary ceasefire, Israel’s government made clear it won’t end its military operations till Hamas is destroyed.

With fighting intensifying, the United Nations Security Council convened an emergency meeting over Israel’s ground invasion.

Separately, the International Court of Justice (ICJ) said Mexico has applied to join South Africa’s “genocide” case against Israel.

Three other countries have already asked the ICJ for intervention to support the South African case against Israel, including Colombia, Nicaragua, and Libya.

Belgium, Egypt, Ireland, Maldives, and Turkey have reportedly stated their intention to join the case, while Germany said it would intervene in support of Israel.

(With additional reporting from the United Nations in New York and the White House in Washington D.C.)

Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.


Latest News from Worthy News

Declassified FBI Files Reveal Alleged Chinese Influence Campaign Using Sex, Donations and Political Interns
Declassified FBI Files Reveal Alleged Chinese Influence Campaign Using Sex, Donations and Political Interns

Newly declassified FBI records released by the White House detail what officials describe as a years-long Chinese intelligence effort to penetrate American political circles through sexual relationships, campaign donations, and strategically placed interns.

Board of Peace Weighs Major Shift in Hamas Disarmament Plan Amid Israeli Pushback
Board of Peace Weighs Major Shift in Hamas Disarmament Plan Amid Israeli Pushback

President Donald Trump’s Board of Peace is considering a significant overhaul of its Gaza disarmament framework after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu rejected a plan that would have linked Hamas weapons handovers to phased Israeli troop withdrawals, according to an exclusive report by The Times of Israel.

Iran Quietly Prepared for Wider War While Pursuing Talks With Washington
Iran Quietly Prepared for Wider War While Pursuing Talks With Washington

Iran’s rulers were quietly preparing for a broader and potentially prolonged Middle East war even as Tehran publicly engaged in diplomatic efforts with the United States, according to an exclusive investigation by The Wall Street Journal.

Trump Cuts US-South Korea Drills, Citing Good Ties With North Korea’s Leader Despite Christian Persecution (Worthy News In-Depth)
Trump Cuts US-South Korea Drills, Citing Good Ties With North Korea’s Leader Despite Christian Persecution (Worthy News In-Depth)

U.S. President Donald J. Trump announced Sunday that he had ordered the Pentagon to “substantially reduce” military exercises with key regional ally South Korea, citing his “very good relationship” with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and Seoul’s refusal to assist Washington in its confrontation with Iran.

Indonesia Quake Toll Rises To 53 As Christians Pray, Rescuers Search Rubble
Indonesia Quake Toll Rises To 53 As Christians Pray, Rescuers Search Rubble

Rescue teams in eastern Indonesia recovered six more bodies Sunday following a powerful magnitude 7.7 earthquake, raising the death toll to at least 53 as Christians prayed for victims and rescuers struggled to reach isolated communities.

Pentagon Schools Adding Christianity-Focused Western Civilization Course (Worthy News In-Depth)
Pentagon Schools Adding Christianity-Focused Western Civilization Course (Worthy News In-Depth)

The U.S. Department of Defense is introducing a course centered on Christianity and Western civilization this fall in the schools it operates for military families, while casting Islam as a threat to both.

New York Jews Reeling After Synagogue Attack, Hate Crime Charges
New York Jews Reeling After Synagogue Attack, Hate Crime Charges

New York’s Jewish community was reeling Sunday as a judge ordered a man held on bail after prosecutors said he admitted to disrupting Shabbat services at Manhattan’s Central Synagogue and assaulting two people there.