Israel Ready To Release Hundreds Of Palestinians For 40 Hostages; Hamas Wants More

By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent Worthy News

JERUSALEM (Worthy News) – Israel has agreed to release “some 700-800 Palestinian prisoners” in return for 40 hostages as part of a temporary ceasefire agreement in the Gaza Strip, but Hamas rejected the deal, several Israeli sources said Wednesday.

Last week, Worthy News quoted officials close to the talks as saying that Israel “offered a six-week ceasefire” during the prisoner exchanges with Hamas, which is holding Israelis.

During mediated talks, Israel agreed to a compromise proposed by the U.S. regarding the number of Palestinian prisoners to be released, Israeli media reported.

However, Hamas reportedly told mediators that it would maintain its original position of a ceasefire “including the withdrawal of Israel’s military from the Gaza Strip.”

The group deemed a terrorist organization by Israel, also demands the return of Palestinians to their homes and exchanging prisoners, Worthy News monitored.

It was unlikely that Israel would agree with the withdrawal of Israel Defense Forces (IDF) from Gaza now. The Israeli government says it seeks the destruction of Hamas because it massacred 1,200 people in Israel on October 7 following previous attacks.

It also kidnapped some 253 people, of whom 134 hostages are still held by Hamas, according to Israeli officials.

PROVIDE RELIEF

Without naming its atrocities, Hamas demanded “to halt the aggression against our people in Gaza and provide relief and assistance to them.”

They also stressed “the return of displaced persons to their homes and the withdrawal of occupation forces from the sector.”

Israel says much relief has either been taken by Hamas or sold on markets for high prices, causing hardship.

Hamas said its demands are part of a “comprehensive framework” of “principles and foundations deemed necessary for an agreement.”

The Hamas-run health ministry claims more than 31,000 Palestinians have been killed since Israel launched its war against Hamas, but those figures have not been verified independently.

Both sides are under pressure to reach a deal after, on Monday, the United Nations Security Council, for the first time, adopted a resolution calling for “an immediate ceasefire” in Gaza.

The United States shifted its position and abstained from voting, prompting an angry reaction from Israel, which also canceled a high-level visit to Washington.

Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.


Latest News from Worthy News

Declassified FBI Files Reveal Alleged Chinese Influence Campaign Using Sex, Donations and Political Interns
Declassified FBI Files Reveal Alleged Chinese Influence Campaign Using Sex, Donations and Political Interns

Newly declassified FBI records released by the White House detail what officials describe as a years-long Chinese intelligence effort to penetrate American political circles through sexual relationships, campaign donations, and strategically placed interns.

Board of Peace Weighs Major Shift in Hamas Disarmament Plan Amid Israeli Pushback
Board of Peace Weighs Major Shift in Hamas Disarmament Plan Amid Israeli Pushback

President Donald Trump’s Board of Peace is considering a significant overhaul of its Gaza disarmament framework after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu rejected a plan that would have linked Hamas weapons handovers to phased Israeli troop withdrawals, according to an exclusive report by The Times of Israel.

Iran Quietly Prepared for Wider War While Pursuing Talks With Washington
Iran Quietly Prepared for Wider War While Pursuing Talks With Washington

Iran’s rulers were quietly preparing for a broader and potentially prolonged Middle East war even as Tehran publicly engaged in diplomatic efforts with the United States, according to an exclusive investigation by The Wall Street Journal.

Trump Cuts US-South Korea Drills, Citing Good Ties With North Korea’s Leader Despite Christian Persecution (Worthy News In-Depth)
Trump Cuts US-South Korea Drills, Citing Good Ties With North Korea’s Leader Despite Christian Persecution (Worthy News In-Depth)

U.S. President Donald J. Trump announced Sunday that he had ordered the Pentagon to “substantially reduce” military exercises with key regional ally South Korea, citing his “very good relationship” with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and Seoul’s refusal to assist Washington in its confrontation with Iran.

Indonesia Quake Toll Rises To 53 As Christians Pray, Rescuers Search Rubble
Indonesia Quake Toll Rises To 53 As Christians Pray, Rescuers Search Rubble

Rescue teams in eastern Indonesia recovered six more bodies Sunday following a powerful magnitude 7.7 earthquake, raising the death toll to at least 53 as Christians prayed for victims and rescuers struggled to reach isolated communities.

Pentagon Schools Adding Christianity-Focused Western Civilization Course (Worthy News In-Depth)
Pentagon Schools Adding Christianity-Focused Western Civilization Course (Worthy News In-Depth)

The U.S. Department of Defense is introducing a course centered on Christianity and Western civilization this fall in the schools it operates for military families, while casting Islam as a threat to both.

New York Jews Reeling After Synagogue Attack, Hate Crime Charges
New York Jews Reeling After Synagogue Attack, Hate Crime Charges

New York’s Jewish community was reeling Sunday as a judge ordered a man held on bail after prosecutors said he admitted to disrupting Shabbat services at Manhattan’s Central Synagogue and assaulting two people there.