
by Karen Faulkner, Worthy News Correspondent
(Worthy News) – Amid a war against Hamas in Gaza, defending against attacks from the Houthis in the south and Hezbollah in the north, and following the Iranian assault last month, Israel this week inaugurated the reopening of the Aerial Defense Array’s 139th Battalion to operate Iron Dome batteries as part of the Israeli Air Force (IAF).
The Iron Dome is an Israeli mobile all-weather air defense system, developed by Rafael Advanced Defense Systems and Israel Aerospace Industries, and heavily funded by the United States. Having proved vital in the defense of Israeli civilians from barrages of missile attacks by Hamas in Gaza and Hezbollah in Lebanon, the Iron Dome system is designed to intercept and destroy short-range rockets and artillery shells aimed at populated Israeli centers.
In a statement about the decision to reopen the 139th Battalion, the Israel Defense Forces said: “The battalion was reopened after previously operating the Hawk and Patriot aerial defense systems before closing down in 2021 after approximately 53 years of action. During the war, and due to operational necessity, it was decided to reopen the battalion, and it will now operate the Iron Dome Aerial Defense System….The establishment of the battalion will enable the expansion of the Iron Dome batteries’ deployment and improve the defensive array.”
At an inauguration ceremony for the battalion, Maj. Gen. Bar said: “For over seven months, the soldiers of the Aerial Defense Array have been engaged in a multi-front defensive war that is unprecedented in scope. Israel is one of just a few countries in the world that possesses such sophisticated and expansive air defense systems, operated by such high-quality people.”
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
Latest News from Worthy News
Newly declassified FBI records released by the White House detail what officials describe as a years-long Chinese intelligence effort to penetrate American political circles through sexual relationships, campaign donations, and strategically placed interns.
President Donald Trump’s Board of Peace is considering a significant overhaul of its Gaza disarmament framework after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu rejected a plan that would have linked Hamas weapons handovers to phased Israeli troop withdrawals, according to an exclusive report by The Times of Israel.
Iran’s rulers were quietly preparing for a broader and potentially prolonged Middle East war even as Tehran publicly engaged in diplomatic efforts with the United States, according to an exclusive investigation by The Wall Street Journal.
U.S. President Donald J. Trump announced Sunday that he had ordered the Pentagon to “substantially reduce” military exercises with key regional ally South Korea, citing his “very good relationship” with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and Seoul’s refusal to assist Washington in its confrontation with Iran.
Rescue teams in eastern Indonesia recovered six more bodies Sunday following a powerful magnitude 7.7 earthquake, raising the death toll to at least 53 as Christians prayed for victims and rescuers struggled to reach isolated communities.
The U.S. Department of Defense is introducing a course centered on Christianity and Western civilization this fall in the schools it operates for military families, while casting Islam as a threat to both.
New York’s Jewish community was reeling Sunday as a judge ordered a man held on bail after prosecutors said he admitted to disrupting Shabbat services at Manhattan’s Central Synagogue and assaulting two people there.






