Israel Hits Syria, Killing 1 Soldier After Syrian Drones Approach Eilat

By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent Worthy News

DAMASCUS/JERUSALEM (Worthy News)— Israel’s military confirmed Sunday that it struck “a Syrian military command center and infrastructure sites” after Syria targeted Israel with drones.

A Syrian soldier was killed and several others injured in the Israeli strikes on several positions in and around Damascus early Sunday, Syrian state media said.

The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) also said “terror targets used by the Syrian military’s Aerial Defense Unit were struck.”

The IDF added that the “Syrian regime is responsible for all terror activities occurring within its territory and will be held accountable for it.”

In remarks monitored by Worthy News, the IDF said the attacks were “in response to two [unmanned aerial vehicles] UAVs approaching the area north [of the Israeli port and resort town] Eilat from Syrian territory.”

However, they “were successfully intercepted” on Saturday,” the IDF said. Soon after, the IDF struck the sites in Syria, the military said.

The statement was a rare acknowledgment by the Israeli military of action in Syria, where it launched hundreds of strikes since the country’s civil war erupted in 2011.

ARMY POSITIONS

However, the strikes have mainly targeted army positions and Iran-backed fighters, according to Israeli officials.

In Israel’s early Sunday strike, “a soldier was killed and three others injured following an aerial aggression launched by the Israeli enemy after midnight” on Sunday, Syria’s state news agency SANA reported.

The strike “was launched from the occupied Syrian Golan Heights targeting several military positions in the southern region and a residential building in the Kafr Sousa district of Damascus,” it added.

It said that aerial defense systems had intercepted and downed several missiles “despite their intensity.”

The news agency published a photo showing a fire in what appeared to be a crater caused by the blast.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights meanwhile said a Syrian pro-government fighter had been killed and six others injured in Israeli strikes targeting a building in Kafr Sousa and a military headquarters south of Damascus.

The building in Kafr Sousa, which hosted fighters from the so-called “axis of resistance” — Iran-backed armed factions opposed to the US and Israel — was destroyed, according to the Britain-based Observatory, which relies on a network of sources in Syria.

MUNITIONS EXPLOSION

Local radio station Sham.FM had reported “the explosion of a munitions depot following an Israeli attack that targeted a position near the capital.”

“The blasts were very strong and came in succession,” a resident of the eastern Damascus neighborhood of Mezzeh said, adding that this was followed by “the strong odor of gunpowder.”

The attacks and counter-attacks underscored concerns that a new front is opening involving Syria and Israel.

However, Israel is already facing a possible massive assault from Hezbollah in Lebanon and the ongoing war against Hamas in Gaza.

Despite the challenges and concerns the conflicts will further drain military resources, IDF said Sunday that its” operational activity continues throughout the Gaza Strip.”

The IDF said an “anti-tank missile launcher in the Rafah area” of Gaza “used to fire at IDF troops was struck.”

IDF troops “are continuing targeted, intelligence-based operational activity in the Rafah area,” the military said.

TROOPS COOPERATING

“The troops, in cooperation with the IAF, struck an anti-tank missile launcher used to fire at IDF troops. In addition, a terrorist cell that posed a threat to the troops in the area was struck,” the army added.

“Furthermore, IDF troops dismantled a number of underground tunnel shafts and terrorist infrastructure sites located in the area. In the area of Gaza City, IDF troops eliminated several terrorists in close-quarters combat.”

The military added that “During one operation, a terrorist cell was identified moving in the area and attempting to plant an explosive near the troops. Shortly afterward, the IAF struck and eliminated the terrorist cell.”

It was not clear how many people were killed in the attacks targeting Hamas, deemed a terrorist organization by Israel.

The Hamas-run health ministry claims more than 38,000 Palestinians have been killed since Israel launched its war against Hamas in Gaza.

However, the Israeli government has slightly lower numbers and suggests nearly half of those killed were Hamas fighters and their allies.

Israel launched its war after Hamas attacked the Jewish nation on October 7, killing some 1,200 people and kidnapping about 250 others.

Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.


Latest News from Worthy News

Declassified FBI Files Reveal Alleged Chinese Influence Campaign Using Sex, Donations and Political Interns
Declassified FBI Files Reveal Alleged Chinese Influence Campaign Using Sex, Donations and Political Interns

Newly declassified FBI records released by the White House detail what officials describe as a years-long Chinese intelligence effort to penetrate American political circles through sexual relationships, campaign donations, and strategically placed interns.

Board of Peace Weighs Major Shift in Hamas Disarmament Plan Amid Israeli Pushback
Board of Peace Weighs Major Shift in Hamas Disarmament Plan Amid Israeli Pushback

President Donald Trump’s Board of Peace is considering a significant overhaul of its Gaza disarmament framework after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu rejected a plan that would have linked Hamas weapons handovers to phased Israeli troop withdrawals, according to an exclusive report by The Times of Israel.

Iran Quietly Prepared for Wider War While Pursuing Talks With Washington
Iran Quietly Prepared for Wider War While Pursuing Talks With Washington

Iran’s rulers were quietly preparing for a broader and potentially prolonged Middle East war even as Tehran publicly engaged in diplomatic efforts with the United States, according to an exclusive investigation by The Wall Street Journal.

Trump Cuts US-South Korea Drills, Citing Good Ties With North Korea’s Leader Despite Christian Persecution (Worthy News In-Depth)
Trump Cuts US-South Korea Drills, Citing Good Ties With North Korea’s Leader Despite Christian Persecution (Worthy News In-Depth)

U.S. President Donald J. Trump announced Sunday that he had ordered the Pentagon to “substantially reduce” military exercises with key regional ally South Korea, citing his “very good relationship” with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and Seoul’s refusal to assist Washington in its confrontation with Iran.

Indonesia Quake Toll Rises To 53 As Christians Pray, Rescuers Search Rubble
Indonesia Quake Toll Rises To 53 As Christians Pray, Rescuers Search Rubble

Rescue teams in eastern Indonesia recovered six more bodies Sunday following a powerful magnitude 7.7 earthquake, raising the death toll to at least 53 as Christians prayed for victims and rescuers struggled to reach isolated communities.

Pentagon Schools Adding Christianity-Focused Western Civilization Course (Worthy News In-Depth)
Pentagon Schools Adding Christianity-Focused Western Civilization Course (Worthy News In-Depth)

The U.S. Department of Defense is introducing a course centered on Christianity and Western civilization this fall in the schools it operates for military families, while casting Islam as a threat to both.

New York Jews Reeling After Synagogue Attack, Hate Crime Charges
New York Jews Reeling After Synagogue Attack, Hate Crime Charges

New York’s Jewish community was reeling Sunday as a judge ordered a man held on bail after prosecutors said he admitted to disrupting Shabbat services at Manhattan’s Central Synagogue and assaulting two people there.