
By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent Worthy News
BEIRUT/JERUSALEM (Worthy News) – Israel and Hezbollah in Lebanon blamed each other for the deadliest clashes since their ceasefire came into effect last week, adding to global fears that the region will remain embroiled in armed conflicts.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu of Israel accused Hezbollah of provoking the Israeli military, which announced it “struck Hezbollah terrorists, dozens of launchers, and terrorist infrastructure throughout Lebanon.”
Lebanon’s health ministry said at least nine people had been killed in Israeli strikes on the two southern towns of Haris and Talousa.
Arab sources said at least two people were killed by Israel, including a State Security officer, in separate attacks in the Nabatieh district of south Lebanon.
Israel confirmed it carried out the series of airstrikes in response to Hezbollah rocket fire near watchtowers in the Israeli-controlled Shebaa farms.
Hezbollah missiles reportedly landed in an open area and caused no injuries. However, Hezbollah stressed in a statement that the attack on the watchtowers was an “initial warning defensive response” against “repeated violations” by Israel of the ceasefire agreement.
The resumption of tit-for-tat strikes in south Lebanon and north Israel has caused concern that fully-fledged fighting between Hezbollah and Israel could resume just five days after their ceasefire deal was announced.
France, which was to supervise the implementation of the truce, reportedly accused Israel “of violating the ceasefire agreement 52 times.” Israel denied wrongdoing, saying it responded to provocations.
Yet, fighting has taken a heavy toll in Lebanon, with almost 4,000 people killed and more than 1 million people displaced in Israeli strikes provoked by Hezbollah, local authorities say.
The latest clashes came as people in south Lebanon began returning to their homes this week to start repairs in a region that suffered an estimated $8.5 billion in damages.
Witnesses said that following Hezbollah’s attacks, residents began fleeing Dahiyeh, the southern suburbs of Beirut, where Hezbollah enjoys strong support as Netanyahu vowed to retaliate.
“We are tired; we can’t handle any more of this. People barely just got back to their homes,” said Ali, a resident of Beirut from Tyre, south Lebanon.
Similar sentiments were expressed in northern Israel, where at least 60,000 people were forced from their homes after relentless Hezbollah strikes.
And with explosions reported around Beirut and beyond, residents on both sides faced another turbulent night.
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
Latest News from Worthy News
Hungary’s former ruling Fidesz party suffered a legal setback Friday after the Constitutional Court rejected its challenge to the dismantling of controversial foundations holding vast amounts of state assets, while separate scrutiny intensified over billions of forints in public money spent on former Prime Minister Viktor Orbán’s social-media operation.
The United States is rapidly approaching another historic fiscal milestone, with the national debt now nearing $40 trillion as Washington continues running massive annual deficits and interest costs consume a growing share of federal spending.
U.S. envoy Jared Kushner met senior Hamas leaders in Egypt on Sunday as the Trump administration intensified efforts to move Gaza toward disarmament and postwar governance, even as Israel continued targeted strikes against terrorist operatives inside the Gaza Strip.
A third red heifer has been born in Israel this season, giving rabbis three candidates now being examined as part of renewed efforts connected to the biblical purification rites required for Temple service.
A highly unusual midsummer storm swept across parts of Israel on Saturday, August 15, bringing heavy rain to Jerusalem, shattering August rainfall records near the capital, and sending floodwaters through a Judean Desert stream in what meteorologists described as an unprecedented summer event.
France’s Constitutional Council has upheld the core provisions of a sweeping new law establishing a legal right to assisted dying, clearing one of the final major obstacles to euthanasia and assisted suicide in a nation long shaped by Catholic tradition.
Scores of people have been killed after a powerful 7.7-magnitude earthquake struck Indonesia’s Flores Island early Saturday, authorities said, as rescuers struggled to reach some of the hardest-hit areas, while a less powerful tremor was reported in North Sumatra province.






