
By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent Worthy News
JERUSALEM (Worthy News) – Israel said Saturday that the “Hamas terrorist organization” had been planning to attack its embassy in Sweden and other sites as part of an expansion by the Palestinian Islamist group into Europe.
“In a continuing intelligence effort, considerable information has been uncovered that proves how the Hamas terrorist organization has acted to expand its violent activity abroad in order to attack innocents around the world,” Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office said on Saturday evening.
Israel had gathered evidence of this both independently and working with foreign intelligence services, it said.
The remarks came after arrests by Danish, German, and Swedish authorities. Israel’s Mossad intelligence agency named an alleged Hamas network member in Sweden without specifying whether he was also in custody.
There was no immediate response from Iran-backed Hamas, which seeks the destruction of Israel.
However, it reportedly said in the past that its policy was to limit attacks to Israel, “the occupied West Bank and the Gaza Strip,” all territories where it seeks a Palestinian state.
So far, Hamas, which the European Union and the United States have designated as a terrorist organization, is not known to have carried out terrorist attacks in Europe.
HAMAS SOURCES
Israel and other sources suggested, however, that Hamas was now targeting Western allies of the Jewish nation.
Besides the alleged Stockholm embassy attack, Hamas had also been looking to procure drones and recruit members of organized criminal gangs in Europe, Israel announced.
Senior Hamas officials in Lebanon, who enjoy the protection of the Shiite militia Hezbollah there, were said to be involved in the planning.
Some of these individuals, including the deputy head of the Hamas political bureau, Saleh al-Arouri, have since been killed in targeted Israeli attacks in Lebanon.
In mid-December, German authorities arrested three suspected Hamas members said to have been involved in the procurement of weapons for possible attacks on Jewish institutions in Europe, German news agency DPA reported.
Similar detentions were also made in Denmark and the Netherlands.
In November, Germany issued a ban on the activities of Hamas, which also operates as a political organization.
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
Latest News from Worthy News
Nuclear material has been discovered in Syria and placed under International Atomic Energy Agency oversight, reviving attention on a clandestine nuclear program that Israel destroyed nearly two decades ago.
Humanoid robots capable of navigating rugged terrain, detecting people and conducting around-the-clock surveillance could eventually join U.S. Border Patrol operations along the southern border, as an American robotics company moves closer to potential national-security deployments.
Israel carried out an unusual airstrike deep inside northwestern Syria early Tuesday, targeting the strategic Abu al-Duhur military airfield shortly after a Turkish military delegation reportedly visited the base to assess its rehabilitation, according to Israeli and Syrian reports. The operation prompted a rare public rebuke from a senior U.S. envoy.
Newly declassified FBI records released by the White House detail what officials describe as a years-long Chinese intelligence effort to penetrate American political circles through sexual relationships, campaign donations, and strategically placed interns.
President Donald Trump’s Board of Peace is considering a significant overhaul of its Gaza disarmament framework after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu rejected a plan that would have linked Hamas weapons handovers to phased Israeli troop withdrawals, according to an exclusive report by The Times of Israel.
Iran’s rulers were quietly preparing for a broader and potentially prolonged Middle East war even as Tehran publicly engaged in diplomatic efforts with the United States, according to an exclusive investigation by The Wall Street Journal.
U.S. President Donald J. Trump announced Sunday that he had ordered the Pentagon to “substantially reduce” military exercises with key regional ally South Korea, citing his “very good relationship” with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and Seoul’s refusal to assist Washington in its confrontation with Iran.






