
By Worthy News’ George Whitten and Stefan J. Bos,
JERUSALEM/BEIRUT (Worthy News) – Israel came closer Wednesday to an all-out war with the Lebanon-based Hezbollah group, which it views as a terrorist organization backed by Iran, as hostilities escalated.
Israel Defense Forces (IDF) spokesperson Lieutenant Colonel Jonathan Conricus said earlier that Hezbollah has so far fired “more than 1,000 different types of ammunition, rockets, missiles, drones, mortars and others toward Israel” since October 8. They began their attacks the day after Palestinian Hamas fighters killed some 1,200 people, unprecedented atrocities in the modern State of Israel.
Conricus warned that “Hezbollah, who as everybody knows is a proxy of Iran, is dangerously dragging Lebanon into an unnecessary war. That could have potentially devastating consequences for the state of Lebanon and the people of Lebanon.”
In recent days, the fight has escalated, and the civilian death toll is rising: four Israelis and at least 14 local Lebanese, according to several sources.
Three journalists have been killed by Israeli drone and tank strikes, according to journalist groups, though Israel denies deliberately targeting them.
“We have this exchange of fire between Israel and Hezbollah, and the trend line is one of escalation,” said Orna Mizrahi, a former Israeli deputy national security adviser for foreign policy, now at the Institute for National Security Studies in Tel Aviv. “This is the most worrying thing about the situation, this trend of escalation. Nobody wants to have a full-scale war, but we can get there anyway,” Mizrahi added in published remarks.
GROWING PRESSURE
With cross-border tensions rising, pressure is mounting on Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to launch a war against Hezbollah despite ongoing fighting against Hamas in Gaza.
The Israeli defense minister, Yoav Gallant, and others in the cabinet already sought a pre-emptive strike against Hezbollah, the militant group in the immediate aftermath of the October 7 attack, according to sources familiar with their thinking.
The proposal reportedly caused alarm in Washington, fearful of a regional war that could pull in Iran.
With U.S. backing, Benjamin Netanyahu held off at the time, but several Israeli politicians, generals, and a growing slice of the public believe a new war in Lebanon is inevitable.
An opinion poll carried out in late November found that 52 percent of those surveyed favored an “immediate strike” against Hezbollah, and only 35 percent were opposed to opening another front in the north.
On Wednesday, it became clear that Israel is closer than ever to opening a new frontline in what people view as a battle for the existence of the Jewish nation and its people.
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
Latest News from Worthy News
Nuclear material has been discovered in Syria and placed under International Atomic Energy Agency oversight, reviving attention on a clandestine nuclear program that Israel destroyed nearly two decades ago.
A prominent house church pastor and six other Christians have disappeared after being detained by police in Wenzhou, a major Christian center in eastern China often called the “Jerusalem of China.”
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and U.S. special envoy Jared Kushner have reached an understanding that Hamas must be fully disarmed and the Gaza Strip demilitarized before reconstruction begins or Israeli forces withdraw, marking a significant narrowing of differences between Jerusalem and the Trump administration over the future of Gaza.
Humanoid robots capable of navigating rugged terrain, detecting people and conducting around-the-clock surveillance could eventually join U.S. Border Patrol operations along the southern border, as an American robotics company moves closer to potential national-security deployments.
Israel carried out an unusual airstrike deep inside northwestern Syria early Tuesday, targeting the strategic Abu al-Duhur military airfield shortly after a Turkish military delegation reportedly visited the base to assess its rehabilitation, according to Israeli and Syrian reports. The operation prompted a rare public rebuke from a senior U.S. envoy.
Newly declassified FBI records released by the White House detail what officials describe as a years-long Chinese intelligence effort to penetrate American political circles through sexual relationships, campaign donations, and strategically placed interns.
President Donald Trump’s Board of Peace is considering a significant overhaul of its Gaza disarmament framework after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu rejected a plan that would have linked Hamas weapons handovers to phased Israeli troop withdrawals, according to an exclusive report by The Times of Israel.






