International Court Says Israel Should ‘Prevent Genocidal Acts’

By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent Worthy News

THE HAGUE/JERUSALEM (Worthy News) – The United Nations’ top court ruled Friday that Israel must take all measures “to prevent genocidal acts” in Gaza but stopped short of ordering an immediate halt to operations or condemning Israel for genocide.

Judges at the International Court of Justice (ICJ) in The Hague, Netherlands, gave their interim ruling in South Africa’s genocide case against Israel.

A large majority of the ICJ’s 17-judge panel voted for urgent measures, which observers said covered most of what South Africa asked.

But the notable exception in the ruling was ordering a halt to military action in Gaza or condemning Israel for “genocide,” something that could last years.

South Africa had asked the court for an immediate ceasefire.

Joan Donoghue said the ICJ ordered Israel “to refrain from any acts that could fall under the genocide convention and also ensure that its troops did not commit any genocidal acts in Gaza.” It also ordered an improvement in the humanitarian situation.

The ruling specified that “Israel must take all measures to prevent any acts that could be considered genocidal,” such as killing members of a group, causing bodily harm, inflicting conditions designed to bring about the destruction of a group, preventing births.

PUBLIC COMMENTS

Also, Israel must prevent and punish any public comments that could be considered incitement to commit genocide in Gaza, according to the ruling accepted by a majority of 15 to 2.

Judge Donoghue cited Israel’s defense minister, Yoav Gallant, as saying he had ordered a “complete siege” of Gaza City, that “we will eliminate everything,” and that Israel was fighting “human animals.”

The judge noticed that Israel’s president, Isaac Herzog, had been heard saying: “It’s an entire nation out there that is responsible.”

She also demanded that Israel must prevent any destruction of evidence that could be used in a genocide case. Israel must submit a report to the court within one month of this order being given.

Later, the ICJ also expressed “grave concern” about the fate of hostages being held by Hamas and called for their immediate release.

Soon after the ruling, South Africa said Friday’s order “doesn’t work without a ceasefire.”

Speaking to reporters outside the court, South Africa’s Foreign Minister Naledi Pandor added: “I would have wanted that the word cessation is included in the judgment, but I’m satisfied with the directions that have been given.”

LANDMARK RULING

Asked by a journalist whether she thinks Israel “will conform to the orders,” she replied she’s “never really been hopeful about Israel.”

In the controversial remarks, she said she hopes the country’s “powerful friends” will advise it to comply with the order.

The South African government also released a statement welcoming the court orders and calling the judgment a “landmark ruling.”

In a reaction, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said the state of Israel would continue to defend itself after suffering the worst atrocity in its modern-day history.

On October 7, over 1,200 people were killed and about 250 taken hostage inside Israel by Hamas, a day often referred to as “Black Sabbath.”

The Hamas-run ministry claims Israel’s retaliatory attacks in Gaza have killed 25,900 people, “mostly women and children,” but it has been impossible to verify these figures independently.

Netanyahu stressed that “We will continue to defend ourselves and our citizens while adhering to international law.”

CONTINUING WAR

He also said that “Israel is fighting a just war like no other.”

The prime minister added: “We will continue this war until absolute victory until all hostages are returned and Gaza is no longer a threat to Israel.”

He spoke as large opposing groups of pro-Israel and pro-Palestinian supporters gathered outside the ICJ in The Hague.

Police were ensuring that the pro-Israel march kept away from a pro-Palestinian march after previous antisemitic incidents.

Pro-Israel protesters were carrying Dutch and Israeli flags and pictures of people taken hostage by Hamas during the 7 October attack in Israel.

“We need all the hostages to come back immediately,” said Rafael, a pro-Israel supporter.

Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.


Latest News from Worthy News

Israel Strikes Syrian Airbase After Turkish Military Visit, Drawing Rare U.S. Rebuke
Israel Strikes Syrian Airbase After Turkish Military Visit, Drawing Rare U.S. Rebuke

Israel carried out an unusual airstrike deep inside northwestern Syria early Tuesday, targeting the strategic Abu al-Duhur military airfield shortly after a Turkish military delegation reportedly visited the base to assess its rehabilitation, according to Israeli and Syrian reports. The operation prompted a rare public rebuke from a senior U.S. envoy.

Declassified FBI Files Reveal Alleged Chinese Influence Campaign Using Sex, Donations and Political Interns
Declassified FBI Files Reveal Alleged Chinese Influence Campaign Using Sex, Donations and Political Interns

Newly declassified FBI records released by the White House detail what officials describe as a years-long Chinese intelligence effort to penetrate American political circles through sexual relationships, campaign donations, and strategically placed interns.

Board of Peace Weighs Major Shift in Hamas Disarmament Plan Amid Israeli Pushback
Board of Peace Weighs Major Shift in Hamas Disarmament Plan Amid Israeli Pushback

President Donald Trump’s Board of Peace is considering a significant overhaul of its Gaza disarmament framework after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu rejected a plan that would have linked Hamas weapons handovers to phased Israeli troop withdrawals, according to an exclusive report by The Times of Israel.

Iran Quietly Prepared for Wider War While Pursuing Talks With Washington
Iran Quietly Prepared for Wider War While Pursuing Talks With Washington

Iran’s rulers were quietly preparing for a broader and potentially prolonged Middle East war even as Tehran publicly engaged in diplomatic efforts with the United States, according to an exclusive investigation by The Wall Street Journal.

Trump Cuts US-South Korea Drills, Citing Good Ties With North Korea’s Leader Despite Christian Persecution (Worthy News In-Depth)
Trump Cuts US-South Korea Drills, Citing Good Ties With North Korea’s Leader Despite Christian Persecution (Worthy News In-Depth)

U.S. President Donald J. Trump announced Sunday that he had ordered the Pentagon to “substantially reduce” military exercises with key regional ally South Korea, citing his “very good relationship” with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and Seoul’s refusal to assist Washington in its confrontation with Iran.

Indonesia Quake Toll Rises To 53 As Christians Pray, Rescuers Search Rubble
Indonesia Quake Toll Rises To 53 As Christians Pray, Rescuers Search Rubble

Rescue teams in eastern Indonesia recovered six more bodies Sunday following a powerful magnitude 7.7 earthquake, raising the death toll to at least 53 as Christians prayed for victims and rescuers struggled to reach isolated communities.

Pentagon Schools Adding Christianity-Focused Western Civilization Course (Worthy News In-Depth)
Pentagon Schools Adding Christianity-Focused Western Civilization Course (Worthy News In-Depth)

The U.S. Department of Defense is introducing a course centered on Christianity and Western civilization this fall in the schools it operates for military families, while casting Islam as a threat to both.