
by Stefan J. Bos, Worthy News Europe Bureau Chief
BUDAPEST (Worthy News) – Hungary’s government under longtime Prime Minister Viktor Orbán is preparing a legal challenge against the European Union’s decision to accelerate the phase-out of Russian oil and natural gas imports, the country’s foreign minister has confirmed.
Foreign Minister Péter Szijjártó argues that Hungary, as a landlocked country, “cannot be forced” to halt energy supplies from Russia, calling the EU measure “extremely harmful” and “dangerous” to Hungary’s energy security.
“Hungary is in a very dangerous, vulnerable situation with the Russian gas and oil being phased out,” Szijjártó said of the EU plan. “This is an extremely harmful decision,” he told Bloomberg News agency on Thursday.
Hungary has continued importing large amounts of Russian energy despite repeated criticism from EU officials and opposition leaders. Orbán’s government insists that cutting supplies too quickly would threaten affordable energy prices in a country with some of the lowest household energy costs per capita in the European Union.
HUNGARY DEFENDS ENERGY SECURITY AND LOW PRICES
Last year, Orbán reportedly received assurances from U.S. President Donald J. Trump, a close political ally, that Hungary would not face American sanctions over continued Russian energy imports.
The move is expected to escalate tensions between Budapest and Brussels further as Orbán faces increasing pressure ahead of Hungary’s April 12 parliamentary elections.
Opposition is also mounting domestically, with the poll-leading Tisza party, led by Péter Magyar, turning Orbán’s long-standing energy ties with Moscow into a central campaign issue.
The European Union aims to fully end dependence on Russian energy following Moscow’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine in 2022.
SUBSIDIZING RUSSIAN ENERGY DELIVERIES CONTINUES
Brussels also wants Budapest to stop subsidizing Russian energy deliveries. Yet Hungary’s government announced Friday it would help households cope with rising winter heating costs, unveiling a 50 billion forint ($157 million) subsidy scheme as the country heads toward parliamentary elections in April.
Under the plan, the state will partly reimburse heating expenses, offering households a 30 percent discount on winter energy bills to deal with the cold, officials said. The move comes amid continued inflation pressures and public concern over living costs
Prime Minister Orbán’s government says the measure is designed to protect families from high energy prices, while critics argue it also reflects pre-election spending as Orbán faces his strongest opposition challenge in years.
Hungary remains one of the most outspoken pro-Russian voices within the 27-nation bloc, while Orbán’s government continues to criticize Western military and financial support for Kyiv.
HUNGARY OPPOSES EU MEMBERSHIP FOR UKRAINE
Orbán has also opposed Ukraine’s future membership in the EU.
Yet Hungarian officials have suggested Budapest could serve as a possible venue for future peace talks involving the presidents of the United States, Russia, and Ukraine.
Orbán has also recently joined Trump’s controversial “Board of Peace” initiative, which aims to guide future peace processes but has been viewed by EU officials as an attempt to bypass the United Nations.
Regarding a possible financial contribution from new members—Trump mentioned $1 billion—Szijjártó insisted Hungary has no such obligations and that payment “is not on the agenda.”
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
Latest News from Worthy News
A Ukrainian man was detained Wednesday in Croatia over the 2022 undersea explosions that damaged the Nord Stream natural gas pipelines between Russia and Germany, authorities said, a development that raised questions over Ukraine’s role in the attack against key infrastructure of European allies.
A new U.S. Census Bureau analysis has identified more than 24,000 people who voted in the 2020 general election as noncitizens at the time they cast their ballots, prompting President Donald Trump to renew his call for stricter election-integrity laws.
The Trump administration has cleared the final judicial obstacle blocking its campaign to terminate Temporary Protected Status for migrants from a series of countries, potentially ending deportation protections for roughly one million people, according to The Washington Times.
Indonesia’s 81st Independence Day was overshadowed by grief as the death toll from the weekend’s massive earthquake rose to at least 68 and thousands were still awaiting aid on the hard-hit Indonesian island of Flores.
Ukraine faced another night of potentially deadly strikes as it struggled to defend itself after Russia and Ukraine traded some of their most intense aerial attacks of the war, with at least 10 civilians reported killed in northeastern Ukraine and hundreds of Ukrainian drones targeting Russia.
Nuclear material has been discovered in Syria and placed under International Atomic Energy Agency oversight, reviving attention on a clandestine nuclear program that Israel destroyed nearly two decades ago.
The U.S. Supreme Court has been asked to weigh in on a growing national battle over whether states may require the Ten Commandments to be displayed in public-school classrooms, potentially setting the stage for a major First Amendment ruling.






