Five Killed In US Airdrop In Gaza As Israel Ponders Arming Civilians

By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent Worthy News

GAZA CITY/JERUSALEM (Worthy News) – Five people were killed Friday after being hit by aid dropped by the United States in Gaza as at least one parachute failed to deploy correctly and one or more parcels fell on them, according to Israeli sources and Gaza officials.

Officials from Gaza’s Hamas-run Ministry of Health mentioned that the five were in the “Al-Shati refugee camp” in northern Gaza when the incident occurred “at around 4:30 a.m. Eastern time” in the United States.

There were reportedly two boys among the five people killed, while 11 others were injured in the incident. The exact ages of the casualties were not clear, but those wounded were said to be between 30 and 50 years old.

The tragedy came while Israel’s government was pondering arming some civilians in Gaza not linked to any terror group or militia, such as Hamas, to provide security aid convoys into the besieged enclave, Israeli media reported Friday.

The move would be part of broader planning for humanitarian supplies after the fighting ends, the Israel Hayom daily said.

Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is said to have “postponed” a decision, but officials were already discussing the possibility, Worthy News learned.

The news broke just hours after the deadly airdrop and followed last week’s reported killings of more than 100 Palestinians in violence surrounding the arrival of aid convoys.

ISRAEL DENIES

Israel’s military has denied that its forces deliberately shot at the crowds late last month, saying most were killed in a stampede surrounding a convoy of aid trucks arriving in Gaza.

But it did acknowledge that soldiers fired at a separate group allegedly threatening them.

Israeli forces have often faced attacks by Palestinian gunmen in and outside Gaza during and before Israel’s war against Hamas. That also became clear in the West Bank, the other Palestinian enclave where tensions rise, Israeli sources said.

“Terrorists” in the West Bank attacked a military outpost near the settlement of Homesh on Friday, wounding seven troops, Israel’s army confirmed.

The troops were wounded by an explosive device during the pursuit of the attackers and rushed to a nearby hospital, according to Israeli media.

The number of injuries was higher than previously reported. More details were not immediately available about the attackers, but the violence came amid growing pressure on the Israel Defense Forces operating in the West Bank and Gaza, the other enclave where war rages between Israeli troops and Hamas fighters.

WEST BANK ATTACKS

The West Bank has seen a series of attacks targeting Israelis in recent months as the Israel-Hamas escalates.

Aid workers say the clashes have made it more difficult to provide aid to the region, especially Gaza, where the United Nations claims more than a quarter of the enclave’s 2.3 million people were “estimated to be facing catastrophic levels of deprivation and starvation.”

However, Israeli defense officials have denied the alleged “hunger” is due to Israeli actions. They also disagree with Biden, with administration officials telling Israeli Minister Benny Gantz in Washington that the “food shortage crisis” impacting Palestinians in Gaza is “intolerable” and linked to a lack of aid arriving in the enclave.

The Jerusalem Post newspaper cited a senior Israeli defense official as saying, “There is no hunger in Gaza.” He added that most of the food Israel sent to the Gaza Strip was “immediately taken by Hamas terrorists, who then sell some of the supplies for ten times more than what it’s worth.”

A former senior Israeli defense official speaking on condition of anonymity said, “There is no food shortage in Gaza.”

But the source acknowledged, “There are those who are hungry since Hamas has taken all of the food, and they don’t have enough money to pay Hamas on the black market.”

The former official told The Jerusalem
Post that food “does not reach those who need it most” as “Hamas controls approximately 70-80 percent of the area.”

GANGS ACTIVE

After Israel and other countries bring food and other aid into Gaza, “gangs take the supplies at gunpoint, and a significant portion of the population is left unable to afford necessities,” the former Israeli defense official said.

“The situation in Gaza is akin to hunger in New York, where homeless people suffer not from a lack of food but from a lack of money to purchase it.”

While it’s inaccurate to say there is a famine in Gaza, “there are indeed hungry individuals struggling because they can’t afford food,” The Jerusalem Post said. “Even if Gaza were to be inundated with food supplies, hunger would persist because the issue at its core is not about availability but access and affordability,” the paper commented, citing officials.

Gaza’s Hamas-run health ministry claims more than a dozen children died of malnutrition among more than 30,000 Palestinians killed by Israeli attacks.

Those figures have been complex to verify, and the ministry doesn’t differentiate between civilians and the thousands of combatants reportedly killed by Israeli forces.

Israel says its war is not against civilians but Hamas after it carried out its October 7 attack in Israel, killing some 1,200 people and taking some 250 others as hostages.

Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.


Latest News from Worthy News

Declassified FBI Files Reveal Alleged Chinese Influence Campaign Using Sex, Donations and Political Interns
Declassified FBI Files Reveal Alleged Chinese Influence Campaign Using Sex, Donations and Political Interns

Newly declassified FBI records released by the White House detail what officials describe as a years-long Chinese intelligence effort to penetrate American political circles through sexual relationships, campaign donations, and strategically placed interns.

Board of Peace Weighs Major Shift in Hamas Disarmament Plan Amid Israeli Pushback
Board of Peace Weighs Major Shift in Hamas Disarmament Plan Amid Israeli Pushback

President Donald Trump’s Board of Peace is considering a significant overhaul of its Gaza disarmament framework after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu rejected a plan that would have linked Hamas weapons handovers to phased Israeli troop withdrawals, according to an exclusive report by The Times of Israel.

Iran Quietly Prepared for Wider War While Pursuing Talks With Washington
Iran Quietly Prepared for Wider War While Pursuing Talks With Washington

Iran’s rulers were quietly preparing for a broader and potentially prolonged Middle East war even as Tehran publicly engaged in diplomatic efforts with the United States, according to an exclusive investigation by The Wall Street Journal.

Trump Cuts US-South Korea Drills, Citing Good Ties With North Korea’s Leader Despite Christian Persecution (Worthy News In-Depth)
Trump Cuts US-South Korea Drills, Citing Good Ties With North Korea’s Leader Despite Christian Persecution (Worthy News In-Depth)

U.S. President Donald J. Trump announced Sunday that he had ordered the Pentagon to “substantially reduce” military exercises with key regional ally South Korea, citing his “very good relationship” with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and Seoul’s refusal to assist Washington in its confrontation with Iran.

Indonesia Quake Toll Rises To 53 As Christians Pray, Rescuers Search Rubble
Indonesia Quake Toll Rises To 53 As Christians Pray, Rescuers Search Rubble

Rescue teams in eastern Indonesia recovered six more bodies Sunday following a powerful magnitude 7.7 earthquake, raising the death toll to at least 53 as Christians prayed for victims and rescuers struggled to reach isolated communities.

Pentagon Schools Adding Christianity-Focused Western Civilization Course (Worthy News In-Depth)
Pentagon Schools Adding Christianity-Focused Western Civilization Course (Worthy News In-Depth)

The U.S. Department of Defense is introducing a course centered on Christianity and Western civilization this fall in the schools it operates for military families, while casting Islam as a threat to both.

New York Jews Reeling After Synagogue Attack, Hate Crime Charges
New York Jews Reeling After Synagogue Attack, Hate Crime Charges

New York’s Jewish community was reeling Sunday as a judge ordered a man held on bail after prosecutors said he admitted to disrupting Shabbat services at Manhattan’s Central Synagogue and assaulting two people there.