Egypt Warns Hamas Israel Will Invade Rafah In Two Weeks Without Deal

By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent Worthy News

CAIRO/JERUSALEM (Worthy News) – Egypt has warned Hamas that it must agree on a ceasefire and hostage release agreement with Israel within about two weeks, or the Israeli military will launch a ground offensive in Gaza’s southern city of Rafah, several sources said Sunday.

There had been reports that Egypt would suspend ties with Israel if the IDF launched an offensive in Rafah, but Israel’s Army Radio quoted Egyptian officials as saying Sunday that Egypt would not act to prevent an offensive in Rafah as long as civilians aren’t harmed.

Hamas said Sunday that Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is trying to escape from fulfilling the deal by mass slaughter and a new humanitarian disaster in Rafah. A military attack on Rafah means a cessation of the negotiations on a deal.”

The group did not mention that its attack against Israel on October 7, which killed 1,200 people and saw about 250 others being taken hostage, prompted the Israeli crackdown.

Amid the standoff, Israel will reportedly dispatch to Cairo negotiators to discuss a new hostage deal with U.S., Egyptian, and Qatari officials within the coming days.

Mossad chief David Barnea, Israel Security Agency head Ronen Bar, and Major General Nitzan Alon, who is overseeing the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) efforts to find the hostages, will meet with the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency Director (CIA) Bill Burns.

Others joining the talks are Qatari Prime Minister Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani and Major General Abbas Kamel, the head of Egypt’s General Intelligence Directorate, Israeli sources said.

US WARNING

The talks come after the United States, long Israel’s closest ally, warned the Jewish nation that a military offensive into Gaza’s southern city of Rafah without proper planning would be a “disaster.”

Some 1.5 million Palestinians are surviving in the city bordering Egypt in “dire humanitarian conditions,” United Nations aid workers say.

The European Union shares those concerns with the EU’s foreign policy chief, Josep Borrell, warning that the armed conflict will likely spread throughout the region unless a cease-fire is agreed between Israel and Hamas.

He referred to U.S. airstrikes that already hit dozens of sites in Iraq and Syria used by Iranian-backed militias and the Iranian Revolutionary Guard. The groups say their actions are in response to Israel’s military operations in Gaza and those of the country’s allies.

Ad tensions rose Sunday, Israeli Defense Minister Yoav Gallant told media that intelligence recovered by the IDF in Gaza is making a “realistic” deal possible.

Israeli forces began their ground offensive in Gaza on October 27 after Israel’s government pledged to destroy Hamas, which it regards as a terrorist organization.

Hamas has ruled Gaza, the coastal enclave with more than 2 million Palestinians, since 2007.

Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.


Latest News from Worthy News

Declassified FBI Files Reveal Alleged Chinese Influence Campaign Using Sex, Donations and Political Interns
Declassified FBI Files Reveal Alleged Chinese Influence Campaign Using Sex, Donations and Political Interns

Newly declassified FBI records released by the White House detail what officials describe as a years-long Chinese intelligence effort to penetrate American political circles through sexual relationships, campaign donations, and strategically placed interns.

Board of Peace Weighs Major Shift in Hamas Disarmament Plan Amid Israeli Pushback
Board of Peace Weighs Major Shift in Hamas Disarmament Plan Amid Israeli Pushback

President Donald Trump’s Board of Peace is considering a significant overhaul of its Gaza disarmament framework after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu rejected a plan that would have linked Hamas weapons handovers to phased Israeli troop withdrawals, according to an exclusive report by The Times of Israel.

Iran Quietly Prepared for Wider War While Pursuing Talks With Washington
Iran Quietly Prepared for Wider War While Pursuing Talks With Washington

Iran’s rulers were quietly preparing for a broader and potentially prolonged Middle East war even as Tehran publicly engaged in diplomatic efforts with the United States, according to an exclusive investigation by The Wall Street Journal.

Trump Cuts US-South Korea Drills, Citing Good Ties With North Korea’s Leader Despite Christian Persecution (Worthy News In-Depth)
Trump Cuts US-South Korea Drills, Citing Good Ties With North Korea’s Leader Despite Christian Persecution (Worthy News In-Depth)

U.S. President Donald J. Trump announced Sunday that he had ordered the Pentagon to “substantially reduce” military exercises with key regional ally South Korea, citing his “very good relationship” with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and Seoul’s refusal to assist Washington in its confrontation with Iran.

Indonesia Quake Toll Rises To 53 As Christians Pray, Rescuers Search Rubble
Indonesia Quake Toll Rises To 53 As Christians Pray, Rescuers Search Rubble

Rescue teams in eastern Indonesia recovered six more bodies Sunday following a powerful magnitude 7.7 earthquake, raising the death toll to at least 53 as Christians prayed for victims and rescuers struggled to reach isolated communities.

Pentagon Schools Adding Christianity-Focused Western Civilization Course (Worthy News In-Depth)
Pentagon Schools Adding Christianity-Focused Western Civilization Course (Worthy News In-Depth)

The U.S. Department of Defense is introducing a course centered on Christianity and Western civilization this fall in the schools it operates for military families, while casting Islam as a threat to both.

New York Jews Reeling After Synagogue Attack, Hate Crime Charges
New York Jews Reeling After Synagogue Attack, Hate Crime Charges

New York’s Jewish community was reeling Sunday as a judge ordered a man held on bail after prosecutors said he admitted to disrupting Shabbat services at Manhattan’s Central Synagogue and assaulting two people there.