
by Stefan J. Bos, Worthy News Chief International Correspondent
BEIJING (Worthy News) – China’s military leadership is facing major upheaval after its most senior general — a close ally of President Xi Jinping — was accused of leaking information about the Communist country’s nuclear-weapons program to the United States and committing other “serious violations of discipline and law.”
General Zhang Youxia, 75, is also alleged to have accepted bribes for official acts, including promoting an officer to the post of defense minister, according to sources familiar with a high-level briefing on the allegations.
The alleged wrongdoing reportedly occurred while Zhang served as joint vice-chairperson of the Central Military Commission (CMC), the ruling body overseeing China’s People’s Liberation Army (PLA).
Second only to Xi in the military command structure, Zhang was long viewed as the Chinese leader’s closest military ally.
Yet China’s Ministry of National Defense announced that Zhang and Liu Zhenli, chief of staff of the CMC’s joint staff department, were under investigation.
NUCLEAR WEAPONS LEAK SHAKING LEADERSHIP
People familiar with a weekend briefing attended by top Chinese officers said Zhang has been accused of sharing “key technical information” on China’s nuclear weapons with Washington, according to reporting by The Wall Street Journal.
There was no immediate reaction from President Xi or his U.S. counterpart, President Donald J. Trump.
However, China’s army newspaper Liberation Army Daily said Zhang and Liu “seriously betrayed the trust and expectations” of the ruling Chinese Communist Party (CCP) and the CMC.
The paper added that Zhang “fostered political and corruption problems that undermined the party’s absolute leadership over the military and threatened the party’s ruling foundation.”
Zhang had been retained in military leadership past the normal retirement age, a sign of Xi’s high level of trust in the general — trust that has now collapsed, observers noted.
XI’S ANTI-CORRUPTION DRIVE TARGETS PLA
The Chinese military has been a central target of Xi’s sweeping corruption crackdown launched in 2012.
That campaign reached the upper echelons of the PLA in 2023, when the elite Rocket Force came under investigation amid concerns that classified information may have been secretly shared with the United States.
China’s Rocket Force oversees the country’s land-based missile forces, including nuclear weapons and many of its most advanced conventional missiles, Worthy News learned.
Analysts said the removal of a figure as senior as Zhang raises new questions about the stability and cohesion of China’s military leadership.
The turmoil comes as China remains under Western scrutiny over its readiness and willingness to attack and seize Taiwan — a move that could bring Beijing into direct conflict with the United States in the Indo-Pacific.
CHINA-TAIWAN TENSIONS ADDING TO PRESSURE
Lyle Goldstein, director of the Asia programme at Defense Priorities, a foreign policy think tank, said in published remarks that “the purge raises larger issues about political stability in a rising, nuclear superpower.”
“It could be seen by many as reflecting poor judgment about some of [Xi’s] prior appointments,” Goldstein said.
Of the seven men appointed to the CMC at the Communist Party congress in 2022, only two remain untouched by anti-corruption investigations: Xi himself and Zhang Shengmin, the CMC’s anti-graft officer.
The developments are expected to intensify international attention on Beijing’s armed forces amid growing geopolitical uncertainty across the Asia-Pacific.
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
Latest News from Worthy News
A Ukrainian man was detained Wednesday in Croatia over the 2022 undersea explosions that damaged the Nord Stream natural gas pipelines between Russia and Germany, authorities said, a development that raised questions over Ukraine’s role in the attack against key infrastructure of European allies.
A new U.S. Census Bureau analysis has identified more than 24,000 people who voted in the 2020 general election as noncitizens at the time they cast their ballots, prompting President Donald Trump to renew his call for stricter election-integrity laws.
The Trump administration has cleared the final judicial obstacle blocking its campaign to terminate Temporary Protected Status for migrants from a series of countries, potentially ending deportation protections for roughly one million people, according to The Washington Times.
Indonesia’s 81st Independence Day was overshadowed by grief as the death toll from the weekend’s massive earthquake rose to at least 68 and thousands were still awaiting aid on the hard-hit Indonesian island of Flores.
Ukraine faced another night of potentially deadly strikes as it struggled to defend itself after Russia and Ukraine traded some of their most intense aerial attacks of the war, with at least 10 civilians reported killed in northeastern Ukraine and hundreds of Ukrainian drones targeting Russia.
Nuclear material has been discovered in Syria and placed under International Atomic Energy Agency oversight, reviving attention on a clandestine nuclear program that Israel destroyed nearly two decades ago.
The U.S. Supreme Court has been asked to weigh in on a growing national battle over whether states may require the Ten Commandments to be displayed in public-school classrooms, potentially setting the stage for a major First Amendment ruling.






