
by Karen Faulkner, Worthy News Correspondent
(Worthy News) – The US indicated Wednesday it does not support the Palestinian Authority’s renewed application to the United Nations for official recognition of a Palestinian state, the Times of Israel (TOI) reports.
Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas, representing Palestinians living in the West Bank, on Tuesday submitted a letter to UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres asking for the Security Council to reconsider recognizing the “State of Palestine,” TOI reports. The PA originally requested recognition in 2011, and although the “State of Palestine” was granted “Observer” status at the UN, full recognition was denied.
The renewed PA application comes as Hamas is embroiled in a war it started against Israel on Oct. 7 last year. While each represents one-half of the Palestinian population in Gaza and the West Bank, respectively, Hamas and the PA have been arch rivals and deadly enemies, unable to unite in leading the Palestinians: the PA is seeking to be the sole leader of a future Palestinian state.
Following the Oct. 7 Hamas massacre in Israel, the US Biden Administration has indicated its interest in a Palestinian state under “reformed” PA leadership. While not as overtly sworn to the destruction of Israel as Hamas is, the PA has openly and handsomely rewarded terrorists imprisoned for attacking Israelis by supporting their families financially; the US has said there must be “security guarantees” in place for Israel if the PA is to lead a Palestinian state.
In any event, the US said Wednesday that the PA should not seek a state through the United Nations. “We have always made clear that, while we support the establishment of an independent Palestinian state… that is something that should be done through direct negotiations through the parties — something we are pursuing at this time — and not at the United Nations,” State Department spokesman Matthew Miller said during a press briefing.
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
Latest News from Worthy News
Newly declassified FBI records released by the White House detail what officials describe as a years-long Chinese intelligence effort to penetrate American political circles through sexual relationships, campaign donations, and strategically placed interns.
President Donald Trump’s Board of Peace is considering a significant overhaul of its Gaza disarmament framework after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu rejected a plan that would have linked Hamas weapons handovers to phased Israeli troop withdrawals, according to an exclusive report by The Times of Israel.
Iran’s rulers were quietly preparing for a broader and potentially prolonged Middle East war even as Tehran publicly engaged in diplomatic efforts with the United States, according to an exclusive investigation by The Wall Street Journal.
U.S. President Donald J. Trump announced Sunday that he had ordered the Pentagon to “substantially reduce” military exercises with key regional ally South Korea, citing his “very good relationship” with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and Seoul’s refusal to assist Washington in its confrontation with Iran.
Rescue teams in eastern Indonesia recovered six more bodies Sunday following a powerful magnitude 7.7 earthquake, raising the death toll to at least 53 as Christians prayed for victims and rescuers struggled to reach isolated communities.
The U.S. Department of Defense is introducing a course centered on Christianity and Western civilization this fall in the schools it operates for military families, while casting Islam as a threat to both.
New York’s Jewish community was reeling Sunday as a judge ordered a man held on bail after prosecutors said he admitted to disrupting Shabbat services at Manhattan’s Central Synagogue and assaulting two people there.






