Trump Says U.S. Will Launch Land Strikes Inside Venezuela “Very Soon,” Expanding Anti-Drug Campaign

by Emmitt Barry, with reporting from Washington D.C. Bureau Staff

WASHINGTON (Worthy News) – President Donald Trump said on Dec. 2 that the United States will begin conducting military strikes inside Venezuela “very soon,” marking a significant escalation in Washington’s months-long campaign to dismantle narcotics networks that U.S. officials say are operating with the protection of the Maduro regime.

Speaking during a Cabinet meeting at the White House, the president confirmed that the new phase of operations will target drug-production and trafficking facilities on land–both in Venezuela and potentially in other countries suspected of aiding narcotics flows into the United States.

“We’re going to start doing those strikes on land too,” Trump said. “We know where they live. We know where the bad ones live, and we’re going to start that very soon.”

Expanding From Sea to Land

U.S. forces have already conducted multiple maritime strikes since September, destroying 22 vessels and killing at least 83 suspected traffickers in the Caribbean Sea. The Pentagon confirmed those operations targeted boats allegedly shipping drugs toward U.S. shores.

Trump and War Secretary Pete Hegseth defended the actions as necessary to combat the flow of cocaine and fentanyl precursors into the United States, while denying reports that senior leaders authorized a second strike in September to kill survivors of the initial hit.

“I didn’t know about the second strike,” Trump said.

Hegseth added that he watched the first strike live before leaving for another meeting.

Targets Could Include Colombia

The president signaled that operations may extend well beyond Venezuelan territory.

“Anybody that’s doing that and selling it into our country is subject to attack,” Trump said, noting that Colombia–long the world’s top producer of cocaine–could also face U.S. strikes.

“I hear Colombia is making cocaine… They have cocaine manufacturing plants and then they sell us the cocaine.”

He added that land-based cocaine manufacturing facilities would likely be among the first targets.

Pressure on Maduro Intensifies

Washington has been steadily tightening pressure on Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro, whom the Trump administration accuses of leading the Cartel de los Soles, recently designated a foreign terrorist organization. The State Department has declared Maduro’s government illegitimate, citing widespread allegations that last year’s election was rigged.

“Cartel de los Soles, by and with other designated FTOs, including Tren de Aragua and the Sinaloa Cartel, are responsible for terrorist violence throughout our hemisphere,” the State Department said in a Nov. 16 statement. The department vowed to continue using “all available tools” to cut off resources to narco-terrorist organizations.

The president’s comments follow his confirmation that he recently held a phone call with Maduro, though Trump declined to share details. Days earlier, he warned on social media that airspace “above and surrounding Venezuela” should be considered closed.

Scrutiny Mounts Over Rules of Engagement

The administration is under bipartisan scrutiny after reports emerged that a second U.S. strike in September killed survivors of an initial attack on a suspected Venezuelan drug-running vessel. Critics in Congress have demanded greater transparency on rules of engagement and the legal basis for lethal strikes outside active war zones.

But Trump has framed the operations as necessary to protect American lives amid a resurgent opioid and cocaine crisis.

“The land is much easier,” he said on Tuesday. “We know the routes they take. We know everything about them.”

Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.


Latest News from Worthy News

Federal Court Blocks Texas Border Security Law, Abbott To Appeal
Federal Court Blocks Texas Border Security Law, Abbott To Appeal

After the Fifth Circuit last month allowed Texas’ border security law, SB 4, to go into effect, another federal court has now blocked four of its provisions.

U.S. Announces 45-Day Extension of Lebanon Ceasefire as Hezbollah Fighting Continues Along Israel’s Northern Border
U.S. Announces 45-Day Extension of Lebanon Ceasefire as Hezbollah Fighting Continues Along Israel’s Northern Border

Israel and Lebanon have agreed to extend their ceasefire by 45 days as the United States pushes forward with a broader diplomatic framework aimed at securing the volatile northern border and preventing renewed conflict with Hezbollah.

Rubio Says He Would Back JD Vance in 2028, Keeps Focus on State Department Role
Rubio Says He Would Back JD Vance in 2028, Keeps Focus on State Department Role

U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said he would be “the first person” to support Vice President JD Vance if Vance seeks the Republican presidential nomination in 2028, even as early polling continues to place both men among the leading names in the GOP’s post-Trump future.

Ukraine Launches Major Drone Barrage On Russia, Killing At Least Four
Ukraine Launches Major Drone Barrage On Russia, Killing At Least Four

Ukraine launched one of its largest drone barrages of the war against Russia overnight, killing at least four people — including three near Moscow — and wounding more than a dozen others, officials said Sunday.

US, Nigeria Say Senior Islamic State Leader Killed In Joint Operation
US, Nigeria Say Senior Islamic State Leader Killed In Joint Operation

Nigeria and the United States confirmed Saturday that they had killed a senior Islamic State group leader during what officials described as a major joint counterterrorism operation in northeastern Nigeria.

Bulgaria Wins Eurovision; Israel Finishes Second Amid Boycotts
Bulgaria Wins Eurovision; Israel Finishes Second Amid Boycotts

Bulgaria won the Eurovision Song Contest for the first time Saturday, while Israel finished second in a final overshadowed by boycotts and protests over Israel’s participation amid the war in Gaza.

Italy Car-Ramming Attack Injures Eight Amid Europe’s Migration Debate
Italy Car-Ramming Attack Injures Eight Amid Europe’s Migration Debate

Italian authorities say a man deliberately drove a car into a crowd late Saturday in the northern Italian city of Modena, injuring at least eight people — four of them seriously — in the latest violent vehicle attack in a series of similar incidents across Europe.