
by Emmitt Barry, with reporting from Worthy News Jerusalem Bureau Staff
(Worthy News) – U.S. President Donald Trump’s White House meeting last week with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman was “civil but difficult,” according to multiple U.S. officials cited by Channel 12 and Axios, with tensions flaring behind closed doors over the pace of Saudi–Israel normalization.
According to the reports, Trump pressed the crown prince to move forward immediately with joining the Abraham Accords. Bin Salman pushed back, insisting normalization remains impossible for now due to overwhelming anti-Israel sentiment in Saudi Arabia following the Gaza war.
Officials told Channel 12 the exchange left Trump “disappointed and angry,” though the discussion remained polite. One senior official stressed that MBS “did not say ‘never’” and kept the door open to normalization in the future — but emphasized that the two-state solution remains a major obstacle, echoing the Saudi leader’s public remarks at the White House.
Axios similarly reported that while the two leaders exchanged warm praise in public, the private conversation turned tense when Trump again pushed for Saudi participation in the accords. Three sources told the outlet that MBS held firm, arguing Saudi society “is not ready for normalization” after the Israel-Hamas war. Another official described the mood as “disappointment and irritation,” noting that “MBS is a strong man. He stood his ground.”
The White House declined to confirm the specifics of the exchange but reiterated that “President Trump calls on all Middle Eastern countries to join the Abraham Accords,” especially now that the Gaza war has ended and Iran’s nuclear program has been set back.
Defense cooperation and major investments also featured prominently.
Trump told reporters that he supports selling F-35 stealth fighters to Saudi Arabia under an arrangement similar to Israel’s and suggested a U.S.–Saudi civil nuclear deal may soon be feasible. He also announced that MBS committed to $600 billion in U.S. investments — with a pledge to raise that to $1 trillion.
The Saudi Embassy declined to comment on the reports.
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
Latest News from Worthy News
TrumpRx is expanding to about seven times its current size, adding more than 600 generic prescription drugs to the months-old direct-to-consumer government website, the president said Monday.
Pakistan has deployed about 8,000 troops, a squadron of fighter jets, drones, and an air defense system to Saudi Arabia under a confidential mutual defense pact, according to an exclusive Reuters report.
President Donald Trump said Monday that he has called off a planned U.S. military strike against Iran that had been scheduled for Tuesday, citing urgent requests from Gulf leaders and what he described as “serious negotiations” aimed at reaching a deal with Tehran.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Sunday that Israeli forces now control roughly 60% of the Gaza Strip, marking a significant expansion of Israel’s security hold inside the enclave months after the U.S.-brokered ceasefire took effect.
Israeli forces struck more than 30 Hezbollah terrorist infrastructure sites across Southern Lebanon over the past 24 hours, the Israel Defense Forces said Monday morning, as the Iranian-backed group continued attacks on Israeli troops and border communities.
The United States has completed a secret nuclear security mission to remove roughly 30 pounds of highly enriched uranium from Venezuela, transferring the material from the country’s shuttered RV-1 research reactor to a secure U.S. facility in South Carolina.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu spoke with President Donald Trump on Sunday evening as Israel and the United States weighed the possibility of renewed military action against Iran, following stalled nuclear negotiations and a drone strike near a nuclear power station in the United Arab Emirates.