
By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent Worthy News
BELGRADE/BUDAPEST (Worthy News) – Protesters in Serbia stood in silence for 15 minutes on Friday for the victims of a roof collapse in a northern city that killed more than a dozen people and underscored concerns about corruption in the Balkan nation.
The demonstrators say they want to keep pressure on the populist authorities to punish those responsible for the November 1 tragedy in Novi Sad, where the concrete outer roof at the central railway station smashed down on people.
Initially, 14 people died, and three were injured, but one more person later died in hospital, officials said. The railway station building was reportedly renovated twice in recent years.
Street protests and blockades have been held almost daily since the roof crash, demanding justice. Another rally is planned on Sunday in Novi Sad to mark one month since the tragedy.
While prosecutors have announced the arrests of 13 people, a Serbian court this week released from detention former government construction minister Goran Vesic.
This has fueled public anger about the ongoing investigation, as the ruling populists control both the police and the judiciary.
CHINA’S ROLE
Critics say corruption and a lack of transparency, deeply rooted in Serbia’s ruling elite, contributed to sloppy work and the eventual roof collapse.
The station was renovated as part of a Chinese-led upgrade of Serbia’s railway infrastructure.
The renovation was unveiled in 2022 during the election campaign, underscoring China’s growing regional economic footprint.
However, reconstruction continued until July this year, when the authorities declared the station had been rebuilt “according to European standards.”
Yet Novi documentation concerning the renovation has been classified as confidential, according to well-informed sources.
Serbia’s President Aleksandar Vucic, who has faced criticism over his perceived authoritarian style, accused protesters of being “bullies and thugs.”
‘POLITICAL GAINS’
He said opposition supporters “used people’s deaths for political gains.”
Scuffles erupted both in Serbia’s parliament and during some of the recent rallies when pro-government protesters showed up to break up the opposition-led blockades.
Several incidents were also reported during Friday’s silent protest in Belgrade, the capital city. In Novi Sad, residents held a long black banner for the victims.
Some people at the protests in other cities held white roses or posters with a red handprint, telling authorities they have “blood on their hands.”
More protests were expected Sunday, a month after the tragedy that shocked the nation.
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
Latest News from Worthy News
Russian President Vladimir Putin arrived in Beijing late Tuesday for high-level talks with Chinese President Xi Jinping, as Moscow and Beijing prepare to advance a joint statement promoting what they call a “multipolar” world order.
Despite the White House publicly urging the Republican-controlled House of Representatives to approve the U.S. Senate’s bipartisan housing bill, House lawmakers have put forth their own version of the bill that strips provisions reining in private equity.
President Donald Trump has given Iran only a “limited period of time” to present an acceptable peace proposal after calling off planned U.S. strikes, even as the Wall Street Journal reported that Tehran’s negotiating position remains largely unchanged from earlier failed talks.
Iran’s Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei used a series of posts on X Tuesday to describe Tehran’s war with the United States and Israel in terms one counterterrorism analyst called “jihad — sacred religious war,” even as ordinary Iranians remain largely cut off from the internet since the war began.
Israeli leaders are preparing for the possibility that war with Iran could resume within days, as Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu convened a second limited security cabinet meeting in 24 hours amid growing coordination with Washington.
Global oil inventories are being drained at an alarming pace as the Iran war and the closure of the Strait of Hormuz continue to disrupt energy markets, International Energy Agency chief Fatih Birol warned Monday.
The Israel Defense Forces has destroyed roughly 60% of Hezbollah terror infrastructure in Lebanese villages where Israeli forces are operating in southern Lebanon, a senior Northern Command officer told Walla on Monday.