
by Emmitt Barry, Worthy News Washington D.C. Bureau Chief
DAMASCUS (Worthy News) – Saudi Arabia has launched the largest reconstruction initiative in Syria since U.S. sanctions were lifted, positioning the kingdom as a central driver of Syria’s postwar recovery.
Under agreements announced in Damascus, Saudi investments will target aviation, energy, water, telecommunications, infrastructure, real estate, and logistics—sectors Syrian officials say are essential to restoring daily life and restarting economic growth. Syrian state media said the deals were signed under the patronage of President Ahmed al-Sharaa, with the Saudi delegation led by Investment Minister Khalid al-Falih.
Key projects include redevelopment of Aleppo International Airport, upgrades to Syria’s communications network with new fiber-optic lines and data centers, transport projects, and plans for seawater desalination to ease chronic water shortages. Saudi Arabia has also backed the creation of a joint investment framework intended to move agreements quickly from memoranda into funded construction projects.
U.S. Envoy to Syria Tom Barrack welcomed the Saudi-led effort, calling it a meaningful contribution to Syria’s reconstruction and a model of regional responsibility, echoing the approach emphasized by President Donald Trump.
The Saudi initiative marks a shift from symbolic engagement to long-term rebuilding, as Syria seeks foreign capital to repair infrastructure shattered by more than a decade of war. Analysts caution that success will depend on follow-through, regulatory reforms, and investor protections — but the scale of the Saudi commitment signals a decisive start.
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
Latest News from Worthy News
Pakistan has deployed about 8,000 troops, a squadron of fighter jets, drones, and an air defense system to Saudi Arabia under a confidential mutual defense pact, according to an exclusive Reuters report.
President Donald Trump said Monday that he has called off a planned U.S. military strike against Iran that had been scheduled for Tuesday, citing urgent requests from Gulf leaders and what he described as “serious negotiations” aimed at reaching a deal with Tehran.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Sunday that Israeli forces now control roughly 60% of the Gaza Strip, marking a significant expansion of Israel’s security hold inside the enclave months after the U.S.-brokered ceasefire took effect.
Israeli forces struck more than 30 Hezbollah terrorist infrastructure sites across Southern Lebanon over the past 24 hours, the Israel Defense Forces said Monday morning, as the Iranian-backed group continued attacks on Israeli troops and border communities.
The United States has completed a secret nuclear security mission to remove roughly 30 pounds of highly enriched uranium from Venezuela, transferring the material from the country’s shuttered RV-1 research reactor to a secure U.S. facility in South Carolina.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu spoke with President Donald Trump on Sunday evening as Israel and the United States weighed the possibility of renewed military action against Iran, following stalled nuclear negotiations and a drone strike near a nuclear power station in the United Arab Emirates.
Evangelist Franklin Graham said Sunday that “God did a miracle” in Belarus after he held what organizers described as the largest evangelical Christian gathering in the country’s modern history and met authoritarian President Alexander Lukashenko.