
by Emmitt Barry, Worthy News Washington D.C. Bureau Chief
(Worthy News) – Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu opened the Knesset’s winter session Monday with a defiant speech, pledging to continue Israel’s war against Hamas while defending the temporary ceasefire tied to ongoing hostage negotiations.
Netanyahu credited Israel’s military campaign for compelling Hamas to agree to the current truce. “Our forces advanced into the heart of Gaza City, the last stronghold of Hamas,” he said. “If I had listened to those who called to stop the war, Israel would have suffered a crushing defeat, and the entire country would have gone up in nuclear smoke.”
The prime minister confirmed that Hamas violated the ceasefire Sunday by killing Israeli soldiers in Rafah, prompting a forceful response. “The IDF dropped 153 tons of explosives on dozens of targets,” Netanyahu said, warning that “the truce is not a license to threaten Israel.”
He declared that Israel had “restored its deterrence” and vowed that Hamas would be eliminated “militarily and politically” by the end of the ceasefire’s second phase.
Emerging Regional Threats
In a more guarded portion of his address, Netanyahu alluded to rising regional challenges. “Our enemies are trying to rearm and challenge us,” he warned. “In the Middle East, old threats are taking on new forms, and there are also new threats.”
According to political sources cited by Israel Hayom, Netanyahu’s “new threats” reference was directed at Turkey and Qatar — two nations backing Hamas and the Muslim Brotherhood while seeking to shape Gaza’s future. Israeli officials reportedly view both governments as destabilizing forces, even as Washington maintains warmer ties with Ankara and Doha.
The issue is believed to have been discussed during Netanyahu’s meetings Monday with senior U.S. figures, including Trump’s son-in-law Jared Kushner and Middle East envoy Steve Witkoff.
‘Peace Is Made with the Strong’
Despite his hardline rhetoric, Netanyahu concluded with a message of resolve and opportunity. “Peace is made with the strong, not with the weak,” he said. “And today, everyone knows that Israel is stronger than ever.”
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
Latest News from Worthy News
TrumpRx is expanding to about seven times its current size, adding more than 600 generic prescription drugs to the months-old direct-to-consumer government website, the president said Monday.
Pakistan has deployed about 8,000 troops, a squadron of fighter jets, drones, and an air defense system to Saudi Arabia under a confidential mutual defense pact, according to an exclusive Reuters report.
President Donald Trump said Monday that he has called off a planned U.S. military strike against Iran that had been scheduled for Tuesday, citing urgent requests from Gulf leaders and what he described as “serious negotiations” aimed at reaching a deal with Tehran.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Sunday that Israeli forces now control roughly 60% of the Gaza Strip, marking a significant expansion of Israel’s security hold inside the enclave months after the U.S.-brokered ceasefire took effect.
Israeli forces struck more than 30 Hezbollah terrorist infrastructure sites across Southern Lebanon over the past 24 hours, the Israel Defense Forces said Monday morning, as the Iranian-backed group continued attacks on Israeli troops and border communities.
The United States has completed a secret nuclear security mission to remove roughly 30 pounds of highly enriched uranium from Venezuela, transferring the material from the country’s shuttered RV-1 research reactor to a secure U.S. facility in South Carolina.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu spoke with President Donald Trump on Sunday evening as Israel and the United States weighed the possibility of renewed military action against Iran, following stalled nuclear negotiations and a drone strike near a nuclear power station in the United Arab Emirates.