
by Stefan J. Bos, Worthy News Chief International Correspondent
DEIR AL-BALAH/JERUSALEM (Worthy News) – Israel launched a series of airstrikes across the Gaza Strip on Saturday after its military said gunfire was directed at troops, in the latest test of the fragile ceasefire that began on October 10.
Health officials in the Hamas-run Gaza Health Ministry said Sunday at least 24 people were killed and 54 wounded, including children.
The office of Benjamin Netanyahu, Israel’s prime minister, said five senior Hamas members were killed in the strikes.
Israel announced that the attacks came after an “armed terrorist” crossed into an Israeli-held area and fired at troops from a road used for humanitarian aid, calling it an “extreme violation” of the ceasefire.
No soldiers were hurt.
UN PLAN FOR GAZA UNDER PRESSURE
The escalation came days after the U.N. Security Council approved a U.S. blueprint to stabilize and govern Gaza, authorizing an international security force, creating a transitional authority to be overseen by U.S. President Donald Trump, and outlining a future path toward a Palestinian state.
Israel has carried out similar strikes during the ceasefire following reported attacks on its forces. At least 33 Palestinians were killed over 12 hours earlier this week, mostly women and children, according to the Hamas-run ministry.
One of Saturday’s strikes hit a vehicle in Gaza City’s Rimal neighborhood, killing 11 and wounding more than 20, Hamas-linked hospital officials said.
Another strike hit a house near Al-Awda Hospital in central Gaza, killing three and wounding 11, while a strike in Nuseirat camp killed at least seven, including a child, and injured 16 others, according to authorities with ties to Hamas
MULTIPLE STRIKE LOCATIONS
A separate strike on a house in Deir al-Balah killed three, including a woman, according to Al-Aqsa Hospital.
Suddenly, I heard a powerful explosion. I looked outside and saw smoke covering the entire area … the upper floor of my neighbor’s house was gone,” said resident Khalil Abu Hatab.
“It’s a fragile ceasefire. This is not a life we can live. There’s no safe place?!, the resident added.
The Israeli military said soldiers also killed 11 militants in Rafah and detained six others attempting to flee an underground structure.
It added that troops killed two militants who crossed into Israeli-held areas in northern Gaza and moved toward soldiers.
ORIGINS OF THE WAR
The conflict began with the Hamas-led attack on Israel on Oct. 7, 2023, which killed around 1,200 people and saw more than 250 hostages taken. Most hostages — or their remains — have since been returned in deals or ceasefires, though the remains of three are still in Gaza.
Thousands rallied again Saturday night in Tel Aviv, demanding a state commission of inquiry into security failures on Oct. 7.
“The government of Israel failed in its most important mission: to protect its children, to protect its citizens,” said Rafi Ben Shitrit, whose son, Staff Sgt. Shimon Alroy Ben Shitrit was killed in the attack.
The Hamas-run Health Ministry says 69,733 Palestinians have been killed and 170,863 injured in Israel’s retaliatory offensive. The toll continues to rise during the ceasefire due to new strikes and the recovery of bodies from earlier in the war.
The ministry does not distinguish between civilians and combatants but says women and children are the majority of those killed.
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
Latest News from Worthy News
TrumpRx is expanding to about seven times its current size, adding more than 600 generic prescription drugs to the months-old direct-to-consumer government website, the president said Monday.
Pakistan has deployed about 8,000 troops, a squadron of fighter jets, drones, and an air defense system to Saudi Arabia under a confidential mutual defense pact, according to an exclusive Reuters report.
President Donald Trump said Monday that he has called off a planned U.S. military strike against Iran that had been scheduled for Tuesday, citing urgent requests from Gulf leaders and what he described as “serious negotiations” aimed at reaching a deal with Tehran.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Sunday that Israeli forces now control roughly 60% of the Gaza Strip, marking a significant expansion of Israel’s security hold inside the enclave months after the U.S.-brokered ceasefire took effect.
Israeli forces struck more than 30 Hezbollah terrorist infrastructure sites across Southern Lebanon over the past 24 hours, the Israel Defense Forces said Monday morning, as the Iranian-backed group continued attacks on Israeli troops and border communities.
The United States has completed a secret nuclear security mission to remove roughly 30 pounds of highly enriched uranium from Venezuela, transferring the material from the country’s shuttered RV-1 research reactor to a secure U.S. facility in South Carolina.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu spoke with President Donald Trump on Sunday evening as Israel and the United States weighed the possibility of renewed military action against Iran, following stalled nuclear negotiations and a drone strike near a nuclear power station in the United Arab Emirates.