Israel: Remains Of Major Imperial Roman Military Base Uncovered At Megiddo

by Karen Faulkner, Worthy News Correspondent

(Worthy News) – In a remarkable discovery, Israeli archaeologists recently uncovered architectural remains of the prominent 1,800-year-old Imperial Roman VI ‘Ferrata’ Iron Legion military base at the site of the ancient city of Megiddo in northern Israel.

The Legio VI Ferrata (“Sixth Ironclad Legion”) became part of the Roman emperor Augustus’s standing army in 30 BC. The Legio was sent to garrison in the province of Judea, and was the permanent military base for over 5,000 Roman soldiers for more than 180 years, from 117–120 to about 300 CE. The Legion fought in the Roman Republican civil wars of the 40s and 30s BC.

The remains of Legio VI were excavated by Dr. Yotam Tepper and Barak Tzin of the Israel Antiquities Authority, Israel National News (INN) reports. The Legio VI is the only Roman base of this size to have been located and uncovered in Israel up to now.

“The unique contribution of the results of this research project lies in the rarity of such archaeological discoveries,” Tepper said in a statement. “Whilst Roman military camps are known in Israel, they are temporary siege camps, or small camps belonging to auxiliary divisions. None compares with the entire complex of the legionary base, as has been uncovered in the archaeological excavations at Legio, next to the Megiddo Junction.”

The discovered remains include a substantial section of the Via Pretoria (the base’s main road), a semicircular-shaped podium, and stone-paved areas that were part of a monumental public building, INN said.

Copyright 1999-2025 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.


Latest News from Worthy News

Britain and Germany Sign Defense Treaty Amid Uncertainty Over Trump
Britain and Germany Sign Defense Treaty Amid Uncertainty Over Trump

Britain and Germany signed a landmark treaty Thursday to provide each other defense assistance and closer cooperation on migration, amid European concerns over U.S. President Donald J. Trump’s “America First” stance.

Christians Targeted in Indonesia’s West Java as Mobs Attack Homes and Churches
Christians Targeted in Indonesia’s West Java as Mobs Attack Homes and Churches

Christians in Indonesia’s West Java province are reeling from mob attacks carried out by Muslim hardliners seeking to prevent church services and halt the construction of places of worship.

Mass Baptism in Bournemouth Seen as Sign of Revival in Britain
Mass Baptism in Bournemouth Seen as Sign of Revival in Britain

A mass sea baptism involving five churches and 92 believers has drawn national attention in Britain. Christians call it a powerful sign of a “quiet revival” spreading nationwide.

Tensions Flare in Spain as Anti-Migrant Clashes Rock Torre Pacheco
Tensions Flare in Spain as Anti-Migrant Clashes Rock Torre Pacheco

Moroccan community leaders in the southeastern town of Torre Pacheco have called for calm after four nights of violent clashes between North African migrants and far-right protesters.

U.S. Officials Confirm Fordow Nuclear Facility ‘Obliterated,’ While Questions Remain Over Isfahan and Natanz
U.S. Officials Confirm Fordow Nuclear Facility ‘Obliterated,’ While Questions Remain Over Isfahan and Natanz

A new U.S. intelligence assessment reveals that last month’s airstrikes against Iran’s nuclear infrastructure largely succeeded in destroying the heavily fortified Fordow enrichment facility, while only partially damaging two other sites–Isfahan and Natanz–raising concerns over Iran’s ability to resume uranium enrichment within months.

Israel Defends Syrian Druze Amid Sweida Bloodbath; Erdogan Condemns Strikes as ‘Terrorism’
Israel Defends Syrian Druze Amid Sweida Bloodbath; Erdogan Condemns Strikes as ‘Terrorism’

Israel has launched a forceful military intervention in southern Syria aimed at protecting the embattled Druze minority, after more than 500 people were killed in four days of bloody conflict in the province of As-Suwayda. The fighting, sparked by sectarian tensions between Druze militias, Bedouin tribal fighters, and Syrian regime forces, was intensified by alleged atrocities against Druze civilians–prompting Israel to act.

Netanyahu Government Teeters as Shas Ministers Resign over Ultra-Orthodox Draft Dispute, Coalition Reduced to 60 Seats
Netanyahu Government Teeters as Shas Ministers Resign over Ultra-Orthodox Draft Dispute, Coalition Reduced to 60 Seats

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s coalition plunged into deeper crisis Wednesday as the ultra-Orthodox Shas party announced its ministers were resigning from the government in protest of the failure to pass legislation exempting yeshiva students from military service. The move, while not an official departure from the coalition, further weakens Netanyahu’s grip on power, reducing his effective support in the Knesset to just 60 out of 120 members.