Israel Approves Plan to Absorb 5,800 Bnei Menashe Immigrants by 2030

by Emmitt Barry, Worthy News Washington D.C. Bureau Chief

(Worthy News) – Israel has approved a multi-year plan to bring roughly 5,800 members of India’s Bnei Menashe community to the country by 2030, the government announced Sunday, calling the move both strategic and demographic in significance.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu described the decision as “important and Zionist,” saying the new arrivals will help bolster the Galilee, a northern region heavily impacted by ongoing conflict with Lebanon’s Hezbollah, which has driven tens of thousands of Israelis from their homes in recent years.

Under the plan, the first group of 1,200 immigrants is slated to arrive next year. Israel’s absorption ministry will provide financial assistance, Hebrew language courses, job placement support, temporary housing, and other social programs to help the families integrate.

The initial phase is expected to cost €23.8 million (about $27.4 million).

The move follows roughly 4,000 Bnei Menashe who have immigrated to Israel over the past two decades. The initiative was coordinated jointly with the Indian government.

The Bnei Menashe, a small ethnic community from India’s Mizoram and Manipur regions, identify as descendants of the biblical tribe of Manasseh, one of Israel’s “lost tribes.” Many converted to Judaism after previously practicing Christianity and were formally recognized by Israel’s Chief Rabbinate in 2005. Today they maintain Jewish traditions, celebrate biblical holidays, and operate their own synagogues.

Israel’s demographic balance continues to factor heavily into policy decisions. The country’s population stands at roughly 10.1 million, about 73% Jewish, compared to an estimated 5.5 million Palestinians in the West Bank and Gaza.

The Bnei Menashe are expected to settle primarily in the Galilee, a historic mountainous region bordering Lebanon and home to major cities such as Nazareth, Tiberias, and Safed.

Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.


Latest News from Worthy News

TrumpRx Expanding, Offering Generic Prescription Drugs
TrumpRx Expanding, Offering Generic Prescription Drugs

TrumpRx is expanding to about seven times its current size, adding more than 600 generic prescription drugs to the months-old direct-to-consumer government website, the president said Monday.

Pakistan Sends 8,000 Troops, Fighter Jets to Saudi Arabia Under Defense Pact
Pakistan Sends 8,000 Troops, Fighter Jets to Saudi Arabia Under Defense Pact

Pakistan has deployed about 8,000 troops, a squadron of fighter jets, drones, and an air defense system to Saudi Arabia under a confidential mutual defense pact, according to an exclusive Reuters report.

Trump Calls Off Planned Iran Strike, Citing ‘Serious Negotiations’ With Gulf Allies
Trump Calls Off Planned Iran Strike, Citing ‘Serious Negotiations’ With Gulf Allies

President Donald Trump said Monday that he has called off a planned U.S. military strike against Iran that had been scheduled for Tuesday, citing urgent requests from Gulf leaders and what he described as “serious negotiations” aimed at reaching a deal with Tehran.

Netanyahu Says IDF Now Controls 60% of Gaza as Israel Tightens Grip on Hamas
Netanyahu Says IDF Now Controls 60% of Gaza as Israel Tightens Grip on Hamas

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Sunday that Israeli forces now control roughly 60% of the Gaza Strip, marking a significant expansion of Israel’s security hold inside the enclave months after the U.S.-brokered ceasefire took effect.

Israeli Forces Strike More Than 30 Hezbollah Sites as Fighting Continues in Southern Lebanon
Israeli Forces Strike More Than 30 Hezbollah Sites as Fighting Continues in Southern Lebanon

Israeli forces struck more than 30 Hezbollah terrorist infrastructure sites across Southern Lebanon over the past 24 hours, the Israel Defense Forces said Monday morning, as the Iranian-backed group continued attacks on Israeli troops and border communities.

U.S. Removes Highly Enriched Uranium From Venezuela in Secret Nuclear Security Mission
U.S. Removes Highly Enriched Uranium From Venezuela in Secret Nuclear Security Mission

The United States has completed a secret nuclear security mission to remove roughly 30 pounds of highly enriched uranium from Venezuela, transferring the material from the country’s shuttered RV-1 research reactor to a secure U.S. facility in South Carolina.

Netanyahu, Trump Discuss Iran War Options as Tensions Rise After UAE Nuclear Plant Drone Strike
Netanyahu, Trump Discuss Iran War Options as Tensions Rise After UAE Nuclear Plant Drone Strike

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu spoke with President Donald Trump on Sunday evening as Israel and the United States weighed the possibility of renewed military action against Iran, following stalled nuclear negotiations and a drone strike near a nuclear power station in the United Arab Emirates.