Iran Envoy Meets Hezbollah Chief As Rockets Hit Israel

By Worthy News’ George Whitten and Stefan J. Bos

BEIRUT/JERUSALEM (Worthy News) – Iran’s foreign minister has warned that the Gaza war will expand unless the truce between Israel and Hamas, entering into force Friday, is maintained.

Hossein Amir-Abdollahian made the remarks while meeting Iran-backed Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah whose forces intensified attacks on Israel from southern Lebanon.

Thursday’s attacks came after Israeli bombardments killed seven fighters, including elite unit members of Hezbollah, which Israel has condemned as a terrorist organization.

Hezbollah also supports Hamas fighters who killed some 1,200 people, including women and children, while kidnapping some 240 others in the worst terror attack in Israel’s recent history.

Israel has vowed to destroy Hamas, and its retaliatory air and ground offensive in the Gaza Strip has killed nearly 15,000 people, including thousands of children, claims Gaza’s Hamas-run health ministry.

However, the death toll given by Hamas has been difficult to verify independently, and it hasn’t provided figures of fighters killed by Israel.

In Tehran, Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi said Thursday that Israel had failed to achieve its war objectives and “the Palestinian people and resistance won a great victory,” the official IRNA news agency reported.

TEMPORARY CEASEFIRE

Israel and Hamas agreed on a temporary ceasefire to allow the release of dozens of hostages in exchange for Israel freeing Palestinian prisoners, but Amir-Abdollahian demanded a permanent end to Israeli attacks.

“If this ceasefire starts [Friday], if it does not continue… the conditions in the region will not remain the same as before the ceasefire, and the scope of the war will expand,” he said after arriving in Beirut, Lebanon’s capital.

Besides meeting with the Hezbollah chief, the Iranian foreign minister also spoke there with Ziad al-Nakhaleh, secretary general of the Palestinian Islamic Jihad, and Khalil Al-Hayya, a politburo member of Hamas and other officials “from the two terror groups,” sources said.

His visit came as Iran stepped up its support for these and other groups seeking the destruction of Israel. As the talks continued, Hezbollah said it carried out more than 20 attacks on Israeli military positions and claimed to have caused casualties.

In one of the attacks, it claimed that it fired 48 rockets at a military base at Ein Zeitim, near the town of Safed in northern Israel, about 10 kilometers (six miles) from the border.

The attacks marked the most significant rocket salvo to be fired by Hezbollah since violence broke out last month. Israel’s army said that, in response to fire towards Israel, its helicopters and fighter jets had struck “terrorist infrastructure” belonging to Hezbollah, as well as rocket launch sites.

Lebanon’s official National News Agency said the Israeli army had shelled several locations in southern Lebanon.

ISRAEL-HEZBOLLAH CLASHES

The violence between Israel and Hezbollah since early October has reportedly claimed at least 109 lives in Lebanon, most of them Hezbollah fighters, but also at least 14 civilians, including three journalists.

Six Israeli soldiers and three civilians have been killed on the Israeli side, authorities said.

Hezbollah held funerals on Thursday for militants killed in southern Lebanon, including the son of a member of parliament.

Abbas Raad, the son of Hezbollah legislator Mohamed Raad, was killed with four others in an Israeli strike on a house in Beit Yahoun village on Wednesday evening, a source close to the family told media.

Two leaders of Hezbollah’s elite Al-Radwan force were reportedly among the five killed.

Two more fighters were subsequently announced dead by Hezbollah, and more deaths were expected as the fighting intensified.

Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.


Latest News from Worthy News

Orbán Says Hungary Should Fear EU More Than Russia Ahead Of Heated Elections
Orbán Says Hungary Should Fear EU More Than Russia Ahead Of Heated Elections

Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orbán said over the weekend that Hungary should fear the European Union more than Russia, pledging to dismantle what he called Brussels’ “oppressive machinery” ahead of heated parliamentary elections in April.

Rubio Pledges Deeper U.S. Ties With Hungary And Slovakia Despite Ukraine Divisions
Rubio Pledges Deeper U.S. Ties With Hungary And Slovakia Despite Ukraine Divisions

U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio has pledged to deepen cooperation with a group of four Central and Eastern European nations, including Hungary and Slovakia, despite concerns over their leaders’ perceived authoritarian style and refusal to provide military aid to war-torn Ukraine.

Bulgaria Names Central Banker As Caretaker Prime Minister In EU’s Most Corrupt Member State
Bulgaria Names Central Banker As Caretaker Prime Minister In EU’s Most Corrupt Member State

Bulgarian President Iliana Yotova has appointed a senior central bank official as interim prime minister in a bid to steady the European Union nation after years of chronic political instability.

Deutsche Bank Continued Serving Jeffrey Epstein After Conviction, Files Show
Deutsche Bank Continued Serving Jeffrey Epstein After Conviction, Files Show

Deutsche Bank, Germany’s largest bank, continued providing banking services to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein years after his 2008 conviction and months before his 2019 arrest, according to U.S. Justice Department documents released Thursday.

Hungarian Opposition Leader Alleges Smear Campaign Over Intimate Tape Ahead Of Elections (Worthy News Investigation)
Hungarian Opposition Leader Alleges Smear Campaign Over Intimate Tape Ahead Of Elections (Worthy News Investigation)

Hungary’s main opposition leader, 44-year-old Péter Magyar, said Thursday that he has become the target of what he described as a “Russian-style smear campaign” after he was secretly filmed during a consensual sexual encounter with a former girlfriend in 2024.

Trump Finalizes U.S.–Taiwan Trade Deal, Secures 15% Tariff and Major Energy, Tech Commitments
Trump Finalizes U.S.–Taiwan Trade Deal, Secures 15% Tariff and Major Energy, Tech Commitments

The Trump administration has finalized a sweeping reciprocal trade agreement with Taiwan, confirming a 15 percent U.S. tariff rate on Taiwanese imports while securing broad new market access and purchase commitments for American goods.

Dems Cheer End To Minnesota Immigration Operation; GOP Calls It Success
Dems Cheer End To Minnesota Immigration Operation; GOP Calls It Success

Democrats are applauding White House border czar Tom Homan’s Thursday announcement that immigration enforcement operation in Minnesota will end next week.