Iran Condemns Germany’s Ban Of Islamic Group and Mosques

By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent Worthy News

TEHRAN/BERLIN (Worthy News) – Tehran has condemned a decision by the German government to ban an Iran-linked Islamic group over “extremism” and to close one of Germany’s oldest mosques.

The Iranian Foreign Ministry summoned the German ambassador over the ban, Worthy News learned from several sources on Thursday.

On the social media platform X, formerly Twitter, the ministry called the ban “an example of Islamophobia” and a violation of freedom of expression.

Asked about the summoning of the ambassador, a German Foreign Ministry official said it was up to Iran to move toward improving ties.

The Islamic Center Hamburg (IZH) had been under investigation for several months over its alleged support for Lebanon’s Hezbollah group, which Iran backs.

Hezbollah has been classified as a “terrorist” group by Germany and several of the country’s allies, including Israel and the United States.

German Interior Minister Nancy Faeser said that IZH was banned for propagating extremism and that its famous “Blue Mosque” was being searched by police.

‘NOT ANTI-RELIGION’

“It is very important to me to make a clear distinction here: we are not acting against a religion,” Faeser stressed, adding it was aimed at a group accused of undermining the German state as well as women’s rights.

German sources said the Imam Ali Mosque, known locally as the Blue Mosque, is one of Germany’s oldest mosques and is operated by the IZH.

It comes amid broader concerns about Islamic extremism and related antisemitism in Germany, which has seen an influx of migrants from mainly Islamic countries.

IZH is considered an extension of Iran’s Islamic leadership and is thought to have a “significant influence” over certain mosques and associations, said Germany’s domestic intelligence services.

The IZH is being probed for “spreading aggressive antisemitism,” Faeser explained, adding that raids against the group in November established proof of connections to Hezbollah and led to this week’s ban.

In a statement, the Interior Ministry said that it “banned the Hamburg Islamic Centre and its affiliated organizations throughout Germany to date, as it is an Islamist extremist organization pursuing anti-constitutional objectives.”

The ministry accused the IZH of spreading Iranian revolutionary ideas and spreading those ideas “in an aggressive and militant manner.”

HAMBURG RESIDENTS CONCERNED

There had been calls from concerned Hamburg residents for years to investigate the IZH, Worthy News learned.

Affiliated institutions in the federal states of Bremen, Bavaria, Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania Hesse, Lower Saxony, North Rhine-Westphalia, and Berlin were also being investigated.

The ministry said 53 properties were being searched, and four mosques were shut.

Germany’s Interior Ministry last year said the IZH was suspected of “acting against constitutional order” and of “supporting [the] terror organization Hezbollah.”

In 2020, Germany designated Hezbollah as a terrorist organization and banned its activities on German soil.

With further investigations ongoing in Europe’s largest economy, German police vehicles were seen outside the Blue Mosque in Hamburg, and more raids were expected despite Iran’s opposition.

Copyright 1999-2025 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.


Latest News from Worthy News

Massive Hong Kong Tower Fire Sparks Manslaughter Arrests
Massive Hong Kong Tower Fire Sparks Manslaughter Arrests

At least 44 people have died in Hong Kong after a massive fire engulfed several residential apartment blocks at the Wang Fuk Court complex in Tai Po on Wednesday afternoon, with authorities confirming that three men have been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter. Dozens more are in critical condition, and another 279 people are missing, city leader John Lee has said.

More Bodies Found After Deadly Floods, Landslides In Indonesia
More Bodies Found After Deadly Floods, Landslides In Indonesia

Local Christians and other sources say rescuers have found more bodies in the search for dozens of people buried under landslides or swept away after torrential rains unleashed flash floods and triggered landslides on Indonesia’s Sumatra island, increasing the death toll to 23 and leaving more than two dozen people missing.

Poland Resists EU Court Order On Same-Sex Marriage Recognition
Poland Resists EU Court Order On Same-Sex Marriage Recognition

Poland’s President Karol Nawrocki says his country “will not succumb to the terror of rainbow rulings” after the European Union’s highest court ruled that Poland and other member states that ban same-sex marriages must recognize such partnerships if they were “lawfully concluded in another member state.”

Orbán Expected To Visit Moscow For Talks With Putin, But Trip Remains Unconfirmed (Worthy News Focus)
Orbán Expected To Visit Moscow For Talks With Putin, But Trip Remains Unconfirmed (Worthy News Focus)

Hungary’s Prime Minister Viktor Orbán is widely expected to travel to Moscow on Friday for high-stakes talks with Russian President Vladimir Putin on ending the war in Ukraine, according to several Ukrainian, European, and Hungarian sources.

Two National Guardsmen Critically Wounded in Ambush Near White House; Suspect Identified as Afghan Immigrant Who Entered U.S. in 2021
Two National Guardsmen Critically Wounded in Ambush Near White House; Suspect Identified as Afghan Immigrant Who Entered U.S. in 2021

Two West Virginia National Guard members were critically wounded Wednesday afternoon in an ambush-style shooting just two blocks from the White House, triggering lockdowns, heavy police presence, and an immediate expansion of federal troop deployments in Washington, D.C.

Four Christian Workers Abducted In Pakistan After Seeking Lawful Wages
Four Christian Workers Abducted In Pakistan After Seeking Lawful Wages

Four Christian brick-kiln workers have been abducted in Pakistan’s Punjab province after demanding the payment of their lawful wages from their Muslim employer, investigators told Worthy News Wednesday.

Trump Claims ‘Real Progress’ On Ending War In Ukraine; Russia Makes ‘Concessions’
Trump Claims ‘Real Progress’ On Ending War In Ukraine; Russia Makes ‘Concessions’

U.S. President Donald J. Trump claims Russia is “making concessions” in talks to end the Ukraine war and says Kyiv is “happy” about progress toward a possible peace agreement after nearly four years of fighting.