
by Stefan J. Bos, Worthy News Chief International Correspondent
PARIS (Worthy News) – France has stepped up security at sensitive sites ahead of Good Friday after authorities foiled a bomb plot targeting U.S.-linked financial institutions, raising concerns about a heightened terrorist threat amid fears the ongoing U.S.-Israeli war with Iran could inspire attacks in Europe.
Police in Paris said they reinforced security around churches and other religious and cultural sites, as well as diplomatic premises and key economic locations across the capital and surrounding metropolitan region.
French anti-terrorism prosecutors confirmed that four suspects—including three teenagers and one adult—have been placed under formal investigation over their alleged role in last week’s attempted attack on offices linked to Bank of America in Paris.
The adult suspect is believed to have recruited the minors and allegedly paid them between 500 and 1,000 euros ($580–$1,160) to plant and film the device. All four suspects, currently in pre-trial detention, deny having terrorist intent.
Authorities said the improvised explosive device consisted of a five-liter petrol container taped to a large pyrotechnic charge—described as the most powerful of its kind identified in France to date.
POSSIBLE IRAN-LINKED CONNECTION
Investigators are probing a possible link between the foiled plot and HAYI, described by police as a pro-Iranian group that had posted a video naming Bank of America’s Paris headquarters as a potential target. However, prosecutors stressed that any direct connection has not yet been confirmed.
The developments come as officials warn that the ongoing conflict involving Iran—following U.S. and Israeli strikes earlier this year—could inspire attacks in Europe.
In response to the threat, several major financial institutions took precautionary steps. Staff at Goldman Sachs in Paris were allowed to work remotely on Thursday, while Citigroup said employees in both Paris and Frankfurt were also working from home.
The measures were described as precautionary amid heightened alert levels.
MACRON URGES VIGILANCE
French President Emmanuel Macron praised authorities for thwarting the attack and emphasized continued vigilance.
“I want to stress that we are highly vigilant on all these matters, and also to reassure those who may be targeted,” Macron said during a visit to South Korea, noting that several European countries have faced similar attempted attacks.
The latest developments have added to anxiety in France, which remains marked by past extremist violence, including the deadly attacks in 2015 that killed 147 people across Paris in separate incidents.
Officials said security would remain tight in the coming days, particularly around Christian observances and other high-profile gatherings, as authorities seek to prevent any further threats, including from suspected Islamist extremists, amid concerns that the ongoing U.S.-Israeli war with Iran could inspire attacks in Europe.
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
Latest News from Worthy News
A 79-year-old Protestant missionary remains missing in southern Mexico more than six weeks after armed men reportedly abducted him while he was preaching and distributing Bibles in Guerrero State, according to Christian Solidarity Worldwide.
The U.S. Supreme Court, in a 8-1 decision on Thursday, allowed U.S. companies to seek damages from property seizures by the Cuban government.
In an epic breakdown of negotiations, Congress is leaving town without voting on Republicans’ roughly $72 billion budget reconciliation bill.
President Donald Trump said Iran has only a “limited period of time” to present a serious peace proposal, warning that U.S. military strikes could resume if Tehran refuses to meet Washington’s demands over its nuclear program.
Several European countries were on high alert Wednesday as Lithuania’s president and prime minister were rushed to underground bunkers and residents of the capital, Vilnius, urged to take shelter during a warning issued after a drone violated the country’s airspace. The turbulence came after Russia warned it could attack Baltic countries despite being part of the NATO military alliance, while Britain reported Russian Air Force activity dangerously close to its spy plane.
The U.S. special envoy to Greenland suggested Wednesday that Washington could still seek greater control over the Arctic island, saying it was time for the United States “to put its footprint back” on Greenland.
In an unprecedented move for an American leader, U.S. President Donald J. Trump said Wednesday he plans to speak with Taiwan’s President Lai Ching-te, after China’s and Russia’s leaders condemned Washington’s “irresponsible” foreign policy.