China Denies Released Pastor Passport To Travel To Wife In US

By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent Worthy News

BEIJING (Worthy News) – Nearly half a year after his release from prison, Chinese Pastor John Cao has still not received identity documents and a passport that would enable him to live normally in China or visit his wife in the United States, Worthy News learned Monday.

“Despite his release from custody, the Christian leader is not truly free, as the authorities are refusing to give him an ID card and passport,” said Voice Of the Martyrs Canada (VOMC), the advocacy group closely following his case.

An ID card is required for most transactions in Communist-run China – whether it involves travel or a doctor’s appointment. “You can be arrested if the police ask you for an ID card,” added Todd Nettleton, representing Voice Of the Martyrs USA, VOMC’s affiliate.

A photo obtained by Worthy News showed the pastor holding a sign saying: “I am a Chinese citizen, and I love my country, but I don’t have an ID card.”

The apparent refusal by Beijing to provide him with identity papers came as another setback for the devoted Christian, who was released on March 4 after serving seven years on charges that his supporters link to his work as a Christian missionary in neighboring Myanmar, also known as Burma.

“Originally from Hunan province, Pastor John Cao is a permanent resident of the United States and also happens to be married to an American citizen,” VOMC confirmed.

IMPOVERISHED PEOPLE

“Before his arrest, he served as a missionary in Myanmar’s Wa State, building schools and caring for impoverished people in the region. As part of his ministry work, Pastor John frequently crossed the border between China and Myanmar.”

The Christian leader was able to continue his activities for three years till March 2017, when he was detained on charges of “illegal border crossings.”

While his colleague, Jing Ruxia, served one year in prison, Pastor John was sentenced to seven years, which he served after losing several appeals, Worthy News established.

Although behind bars, he expressed his faith in Christ in poetry. Advocacy group ChinaAid published a collection of his poems titled ‘Living Lyrics: Poems from Prison.’

Upon his release, Pastor John was escorted from Yunnan province to Changsha, Hunan, as he “hopes to be soon reunited with his family in the United States.”

Yet, he cannot travel to the U.S., where he resides, without travel documents.

PRAYERS URGED

However, local police in Changsha have disclosed that they intend to supervise and “educate” him for five years, according to Christians who are familiar with the case.

VOMC told Worthy News it had urged its supporters to “Pray that God will work mightily within the hearts of governing officials, allowing Pastor Cao to receive the necessary documentation so he can be reunited with his wife in the United States.”

Yet in a recent audio message monitored by Worthy News, the pastor says, “I have been separated from you all for seven years, but these seven years have been filled with joy, filled with God’s grace, and God’s special presence has been with me every day.”

Yet his difficulties highlighted broader concerns about the plight of devoted Christians in China.

Under President Xi Jinping, numerous believers have been jailed, and several churches closed as he seeks to consolidate his power without groups deemed a threat to his leadership, including Christians, observers say.

Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.


Latest News from Worthy News

Federal Court Blocks Texas Border Security Law, Abbott To Appeal
Federal Court Blocks Texas Border Security Law, Abbott To Appeal

After the Fifth Circuit last month allowed Texas’ border security law, SB 4, to go into effect, another federal court has now blocked four of its provisions.

U.S. Announces 45-Day Extension of Lebanon Ceasefire as Hezbollah Fighting Continues Along Israel’s Northern Border
U.S. Announces 45-Day Extension of Lebanon Ceasefire as Hezbollah Fighting Continues Along Israel’s Northern Border

Israel and Lebanon have agreed to extend their ceasefire by 45 days as the United States pushes forward with a broader diplomatic framework aimed at securing the volatile northern border and preventing renewed conflict with Hezbollah.

Rubio Says He Would Back JD Vance in 2028, Keeps Focus on State Department Role
Rubio Says He Would Back JD Vance in 2028, Keeps Focus on State Department Role

U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said he would be “the first person” to support Vice President JD Vance if Vance seeks the Republican presidential nomination in 2028, even as early polling continues to place both men among the leading names in the GOP’s post-Trump future.

Ukraine Launches Major Drone Barrage On Russia, Killing At Least Four
Ukraine Launches Major Drone Barrage On Russia, Killing At Least Four

Ukraine launched one of its largest drone barrages of the war against Russia overnight, killing at least four people — including three near Moscow — and wounding more than a dozen others, officials said Sunday.

US, Nigeria Say Senior Islamic State Leader Killed In Joint Operation
US, Nigeria Say Senior Islamic State Leader Killed In Joint Operation

Nigeria and the United States confirmed Saturday that they had killed a senior Islamic State group leader during what officials described as a major joint counterterrorism operation in northeastern Nigeria.

Bulgaria Wins Eurovision; Israel Finishes Second Amid Boycotts
Bulgaria Wins Eurovision; Israel Finishes Second Amid Boycotts

Bulgaria won the Eurovision Song Contest for the first time Saturday, while Israel finished second in a final overshadowed by boycotts and protests over Israel’s participation amid the war in Gaza.

Italy Car-Ramming Attack Injures Eight Amid Europe’s Migration Debate
Italy Car-Ramming Attack Injures Eight Amid Europe’s Migration Debate

Italian authorities say a man deliberately drove a car into a crowd late Saturday in the northern Italian city of Modena, injuring at least eight people — four of them seriously — in the latest violent vehicle attack in a series of similar incidents across Europe.