
By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent Worthy News
ISLAMABAD (Worthy News) – Over a year after thousands of furious Muslims attacked a Christian area in the city of Jaranwala in Pakistan’s Punjab province, many survivors living there still await promised “relief and justice,” well-informed Christian aid workers told Worthy News.
On August 16, 2023, crowds were angered by false allegations of blasphemy committed by two Christian brothers who were later acquitted, recalled advocacy group Voice Of the Martyrs Canada (VOMC).
Yet, “at least 26 church buildings were destroyed, along with hundreds of Christian homes,” VOMC told Worthy News.
Many from the Christian community fled, spending the night in open fields, fearful of returning to the city. While nine police officers were injured, no civilian lives were lost, according to government sources familiar with the situation.
However, the wounds have not yet healed completely. Additionally, “Christians suffering from the aftermath of the incident are still seeking justice. While more than 5,000 people were involved in the violence, less than 400 were arrested for their part in the riots,” VOMC told Worthy News.
“Of the assailants who were arrested, over 225 have been released on bail, including the individual who incited the vast mob attack through the use of a mosque loudspeaker,” added the group, which has closely followed the situation.
VOMC stressed that the “Discrimination against followers of Jesus within Pakistan’s legal system was further demonstrated by the recent conviction of Ehsaan Masih, a Christian man who has been sentenced with blasphemy – a crime punishable by death. [He was] merely [targeted] for protesting the violent riots via social media.”
GOVERNMENT ASSISTANCE
Yet “For those who’ve lost so much during the attacks, any provision of assistance from the government has come slowly – if at all. While governing officials stated that relief would be provided to those whose homes were destroyed, the distribution efforts have been plagued with difficulties,” VOMC explained.
In several homes, multiple families lived under the same roof, “so payment went only to the more prominent families, leaving some without assistance,” according to aid workers.
International rights group Amnesty International estimates that 40 percent of the victims are still awaiting desperately needed government compensation.
In addition, “many of the affected believers continue to suffer from the psychological and social repercussions of the trauma. Children still tremble with fear and have lost their confidence when it comes to interacting with others in the community,” VOMC noticed.
“Relations between local Christians and Muslims have also become increasingly tense. Some Muslims are refusing to conduct any business with Christians, and a number of believers have lost their jobs.”
The group said, “In conjunction with our ministry partners, VOMC was able to provide for some of the daily needs of Christians in Jaranwala through the mission’s Relief & Development Fund.”
However, it said it urged sponsors to help by donating more and praying for the Christians in Jaranwala. They are among many believers facing persecution in Pakistan, a strict Islamic nation, rights groups say.
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
Latest News from Worthy News
After the Fifth Circuit last month allowed Texas’ border security law, SB 4, to go into effect, another federal court has now blocked four of its provisions.
Israel and Lebanon have agreed to extend their ceasefire by 45 days as the United States pushes forward with a broader diplomatic framework aimed at securing the volatile northern border and preventing renewed conflict with Hezbollah.
U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said he would be “the first person” to support Vice President JD Vance if Vance seeks the Republican presidential nomination in 2028, even as early polling continues to place both men among the leading names in the GOP’s post-Trump future.
Ukraine launched one of its largest drone barrages of the war against Russia overnight, killing at least four people — including three near Moscow — and wounding more than a dozen others, officials said Sunday.
Nigeria and the United States confirmed Saturday that they had killed a senior Islamic State group leader during what officials described as a major joint counterterrorism operation in northeastern Nigeria.
Bulgaria won the Eurovision Song Contest for the first time Saturday, while Israel finished second in a final overshadowed by boycotts and protests over Israel’s participation amid the war in Gaza.
Italian authorities say a man deliberately drove a car into a crowd late Saturday in the northern Italian city of Modena, injuring at least eight people — four of them seriously — in the latest violent vehicle attack in a series of similar incidents across Europe.